Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2016 boat options - opinions wanted

twlake

I am ready to make my first new Wake/Surf boat purchase and are down to 3 options, mainly 2 but my wife and I are going back and forth as there are pros / cons on each. We have 2 children that are 6 & 9. They ski and are learning to Surf now. I Surf and she likes socializing with friends, laying in the sun and watching :) . She hasn't driven much so we need a boat that is easy for her to drive / control. We have narrowed it down to:

1. Malibu 23LSV - We really love the Console with sport dash (I'm an IT guy), the larger cabin space, Stereo (Rev 8 on tower), and the reputation of the proven Surfgate. Also the price I was given was very good.

2. New Supra SA400 - We love the options and the style of this new boat. I hear really good things about the new Swell system (long clean surf wave) but haven't had any experience like I have behind the LSV. The Flip around rear facing seat, interior lighting, JL Audio, Tower, no carpet on side walls, walk through bow, and rear board storage are all extremely nice features for almost the same price as LSV.

3. For lower price option, we have also looked at the Moomba Mojo for similar wake as the SA, full 23', and lower weight to pull, but lose a lot of features so this is not the leader at this point.

Would love to hear from any one with experience with the 23LSV or new Supra SA. Thanks!

I'm in KY. Different dealers but have developed a good relationship with both including the dealer reps through the investigation. I have been behind a 2014 LSV but not a 2016 LSV or SA. In order to get before the Summer, I would have to order now so no water demo but I will make this a requirement before final purchase in contract for either. Thanks for response.

Hopefully others have driven, been in, or behind one or both..

I'm in KY. Different dealers but have developed a good relationship with both including the dealer reps through the investigation. I have been behind a 2014 LSV but not a 2016 LSV or SA. In order to get before the Summer, I would have to order now so no water demo but I will make this a requirement before final purchase in contract for either. Thanks for response.

Hopefully others have driven, been in, or behind one or both..

My 23lsv has been rock solid...450 engine 800 bags in rear lockers. 400 up front. The surf wave is jaw dropping. I live in Knoxville. The big three are made within 25 miles of each other. I have yet to be in a boat with a better wave. I'm sure they are out there, but my Malibu has been spot on.

The way the Malibu drives just feels better to me than the Supra's and the MC's.

You can't make a bad choice as Supra has raised their game as well. Best of luck to you in choosing.

Great problems to have looking at some new boats. I took out a 23 LSV, but the only Supra I have been in was my daughters friends which was a 2011 with no surf system (I don't think).

I absolutely love the new dash on Malibu. My 2015 had no issues and we just ordered a 2016.

Any of your options would make a great boat for you and your family. Agree with the dealer comments above, very important. I spent most of last summer on the new SA and can vouch for the wave quality; would not directly compare it to the Mojo in wave performance though as you get much more ballast in the SA.

Have fun shopping.

IMHO every supra that I have seen near me is sold for a lot of money when new then 2-3 years down the road they are for sale on the Internet for 39,999. I've seen 2 of the world editions do that same exact thing. One is on onlyinboards now near me. So to me I would never look at one because obviously they don't hold they're value like a Malibu does

IMHO every supra that I have seen near me is sold for a lot of money when new then 2-3 years down the road they are for sale on the Internet for 39,999. I've seen 2 of the world editions do that same exact thing. One is on onlyinboards now near me. So to me I would never look at one because obviously they don't hold they're value like a Malibu does

LOL what? Please enlighten us all with links to these 2-3 year old boats at sub $40k. A quick glance shows there isn't anything below $60k on onlyinboards...

Like this one?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Supra-World-s-Edition-FOR-SALE--for-sale-Muncie-Indiana-51841.aspx

That is now considered 8 years old...

I don't think Supra has great resale but its certainly not that bad. Their market share is smaller but the new boats are every bit as expensive as the big boys. I know on my lake, when people see more malibu's they want a malibu .. b/c its what everyone else has. I would think it would water down the market but it doesn't seem to have that effect.

Location has a lot to do with it. Look how many Nautiques are available in Florida. Brands are regional and that will impact resale. We have 1 or 2 MB's and zero Supremes on my lake. Therefore, the couple MB's that are for sale in my area tend to stay on the market for a long time.

Edited by pauley71

shodan, why upgrade so soon?

My dealer does well with 1 year old boats with not too bad hours so it really cost me a couple thousand a year....This year I wanted the 575 Roush Motor, and a 24 MXZ. Otherwise id have kept my purple boat.....

• Like 2

Sorry older than 2-3 years but yet a 90k boat when it was new and selling for 39. Yes that one is one example and the other one was one of my neighbors selling his lake house.

Supra has come a long ways. Malibu still has the advantage though. As others have said dealer can be very important. The LSV is going to be tough to beat, which is why it is Malibu's best seeking boat of all time. Try to demo both. PW2 makes a big difference, even over the '14 you have ridden behind.

Both are nice boats.

• Like 2

I'm not guessing resale value. You can clearly see it with that one on onlyinboards. To each his own. I guess I am partial to Malibu. Who knows I only work on boats for a living

I'm not guessing resale value. You can clearly see it with that one on onlyinboards. To each his own. I guess I am partial to Malibu. Who knows I only work on boats for a living

How do you know what was paid on the front end when looking at onlyinboards?I have owned both brands. Depreciation is about the same on both in these neck of the woods. Nice thing about Malibu is the ability to strip the boats down when ordering/purchasing while Supra's come pretty much optioned up. Seems like you take bigger hit when the boats have all the goodies.

Below are the ads for 2 year old Supra's on onlyinboards. Based off of the asking prices, very little depreciation.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/used-ski-boats?MakerName=4&YearFrom=2014&YearTo=2014&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&Model=210&ZIP=&Distance=