Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

JL Audio M880-ETXv3 on 2007 Illusion X Tower?

jebbo

Hello all,

I'm new here as we just bought our first Malibu at the end of last season.

It is a "New to me" 2007 Malibu 21 VLX with the Illusion X Tower.

Being a used boat, I am starting to modify the speakers, amps, etc.

I am looking at purchasing the JL Audio M880-ETXv3 to replace the current 6.5 inch Kicker speakers that are currently on the tower.

Yes, I know…Kicker 6.5's on the tower...

Anyways, I need to know if someone makes an attachment for the M880's that is compatible with the Illusion X Tower.

I contacted JL and they said that they did not make a clamp that would work with my tower.

I have looked into the Exile audio speakers as well because they do make a mount that would work with their speakers. Also considering Wetsounds, but do not know if any of their new stuff will work either.

Would like to stick to JL because I already have the JL 10 inch sub (M10W5-SG-TB) on the way and would like everything to match.

It's not a huge deal that they match because in the end, I just need great sound that works, but it would be nice.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks crew!

Get with Odin at Earmark Marine, a JL Audio and Wetsounds authorized on-line USA dealer. For the JL Audio 880 ask Odin about the Four Winns mounting adapters. In a Wetsounds product, look at the Icon8 for a comparable type speaker. The Wetsounds Icon8 will bolt up to the Illusion hole pattern. I'm confident that the JL Audio product will also with the correct appendage.

Jebbo- the Exile option bolts on to an Illusion tower right out of the box (the illusion piece is built into the clamp itself). The other options require additional adaptors. All three options you list will probably be a big upgrade over stock.

Edited by Brianinpdx

No adapters are required to mount a Wet Sounds speaker to an Illusion X tower. JL doesn't make a Illusion X specific bracket but I'll investigate the dimensions on their Four Winns deck mount and see if it's possible to mount to your tower. Let me know if you need any assistance coming up with a plan.

Odin

I agree David - your the first vendor in the thread... referring people to the place you used to own. not bashful about it either. Coincidence?

Edited by Brianinpdx
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the replies. Looking into multiple options. Thank you for the information on exile and wet sounds.

Keeping the speakers the same to match the JL Sub would be nice but not a priority so all options are a possibility.

I guess that's the great thing about buying a used boat. If I were buying new, I may be more picky about keeping them all the same.

I agree David - your the first vendor in the thread... referring people to the place you used to own. not bashful about it either. Coincidence?

No coincidence at all.

I'm three years removed from being a vendor in any way or form.

I regularly refer people to those I know very well, fully trust, and that will provide honest and accurate information, whether or not it benefits them personally.

Nice attempted maneuver, but you are generating the wrong information about competitors products. That's a clear deception. That's the real issue.

The OP deserves good information.

No coincidence at all.

I'm three years removed from being a vendor in any way or form.

I regularly refer people to those I know very well, fully trust, and that will provide honest and accurate information, whether or not it benefits them personally.

Nice attempted maneuver, but you are generating the wrong information about competitors products. That's a clear deception. That's the real issue.

The OP deserves good information.

Go back and read what Brian posted. Not only did he not call out Wetsounds by name, but technically what he says is true. Wetsounds DOES require an adaptor. They offer three (fixed, swivel, or x-mount).

I can see what you're saying too David. Wetsounds includes your choice of adaptor with purchase. So in that sense they are included presuming you order correctly and don't buy used speakers off another non-illusion boat.

I think you guys are simply talking past each other.

Wetsounds DOES require an adaptor. They offer three (fixed, swivel, or x-mount).

No they do not require an adapter. The clamp option is not an adapter and extra adapter hardware is exactly what brian insinuated. No offense, but both of you are incorrect. Both the X mount and TC3-S swivel mount will bolt right up to the illusion tower with NO additional adapters needed as was stated by a competing manufacturer.

Quote, "The OTHER options require additional adaptors."

^^^Just not true. To X mount any Wetsounds 8-inch tower product it requires no additional adapters and no additional cost. There is no such thing as a Wetsounds X adapter for a standard X installation.

My mistake fellas. I was just reading off Wetsounds' website.

Honest question... If they mount up to the Illusion X why does WS offer three different mount options? I can see why it's confusing.

I've had Wetsounds towers on two different boats (neither were Illusion X) and I can't see how either would have worked with Illusion X. On my G4 tower last year you had to take the entire speaker apart to remove it from the tower. Maybe that's the configuration you're referencing.

Heres an example of the adapters that brian claims wet sounds speakers need and his does not http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/tower-speakers/adaptors.html

Honest question... If they mount up to the Illusion X why does WS offer three different mount options? I can see why it's confusing.

Bolting right up and offering 3 different clamping options is really two different discussion IMO. You are not purchasing extra hardware beyond the speaker/clamp choice.

The X version bolts right up to the illusion, Tige Alpha-Z, G4 and quite a few others, with no extra adapters required, which is what was stated, was needed.

The Swivel version will also bolt right up to these towers with no additional hardware needing to be purchased separately from what comes in the box.

Why to the offer 3 options? Well, to give the buyer options.

The fixed clamp option is easy. They are for tube towers

X mount is for the direct mount towers like listed above where there is no need for swiveling or removing.

The swivel option is for those that want the ability to swivel and or remove the pod. This option can be used with tube towers or direct mount towers like those listed.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I just got my 4 sxt9s for my illusion x tower. When i read this thread earlier I didn't think I needed to buy other adapters to bolt them up to my tower but after looking in the boxes I'm not so sure. It looks like my speakers come with the 360 swivel that will bolt to a tube style tower. I want to bolt mine to my stock tower locations on my illusion x and I would prefer a fixed option so they aren't so easy to rip off my boat and steal. What is it that I need to make this happen?

thanks crew

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread to find out if you were able to mount the JL 8.8s to the Illusion X tower.  I am considering getting the same speaker but would want to bolt them to the stock location on my Illusion X rather than hanging them with the pipe clamp thingy.  Will any of the mounting plates/brackets available work for the JL 8.8" pod?

Odin, did you find anything in the course of checking into this?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Edited by nwwakesurf
Additional thought.

Thanks.  Let me know what you find out.  I ended up going with the 7.7s but same idea I would think.  There seem to be a bunch of adapters for sale but unclear whether any of them work for the Illusion X tower.  They come with clamp mounts to put on the bar but I want to attach them to the arms on the side where my stock speakers were.  Thanks again.

Edited by nwwakesurf
More thoughts.

JL Audio responded to an email I sent them and recommended the http://www.jlaudio.com/m-mcpv3-sm-marine-audio-mounting-hardware-91278

as the best adapter to use or the best one to start with to mod something up that will work. I am not seeing any pins on it to slot into the holes in the tower though. Any thoughts on whether there is a better adapter to use either from JL or another source?  Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive the thread.  I have old rockford fosgates that a pretty beat up in the original Malibu cans (07 illusion x tower).  I am trying to figure out a replacement plan.  I was planning to get a two pairs of the JL 7.7's but it looks like they won't fit according to above.  My question to the crew, would it be better to get one pair of 8.8's or should I just get 4 replacement 6.5in speakers and install them in the original cans. We primarily use the speakers when surfing so more interested in quality sound vs distance. 

If I decided to do one set of 8.8's would there have to be changes to the amp configuration?

Edited by Skithemidwest