Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Setup for 2005 VLX - 3 questions

95echelon

I am just running across this thread so thought I would share my set up

2005 VLX.  1250 stock ballast (I have the bow tank)

i run 600 pound sumo sacks on both sides at the rear.  I added fill and dump pumps for these.

I converted to a floating wedge from the stock fixed wedge.

i run wave control from go surf assist.  I haven't run across another VLX with them yet.  Outside of the $ I am happy with them as we ride regular and switch.

I ride regular and with just a driver I ride at about 10.5 and it does OK. With a few extra people I ride at 11.5 and I am really happy with it.   I have trouble dialing in the switch side.

Anyone else have wave control?

On 6/15/2016 at 10:23 AM, -BS- said:

Ok, I skimmed through the replies so forgive me if I'm repeating things but:

First off, 1000# in the bow of that VLX is waaaaaaaay waaaay too much.  And IMO, is dangerous as hell.. Don't even try that. 

Second, without a wake shaping device you HAVE to list your boat.

The optimal setup for that hull is:

PORT SIDE

-400# lead surf side bow compartment (lead is perfect bc you can offset it AND you can store it under your filler cushion leaving your storage compartments open AND you can use it for ballast around helm when surfing starboard)

-(2) 250# bags under port side seats 

- 400 or 500# surf side locker

-ALL MLS full (even non surf side)

-no wedge

-10.6mph

-with a small crew you'll also need a 400# bag on the floor of the cabin surf side

-----

starboard side;

-take the 400# bag & fill surf side bow

-take the 400-500# lead and stash it around driver feet/seat

-400# bag surf side cabin floor

-400# bag surf side locker

- 2 passengers ride behind driver

-no wedge

-ALL MLS full

Again, for your own safety....DO NOT try to load your bow with 1000-1350!!!

Hope this helps...

1. I run 1000 lbs up front all the time wakeboarding without issues(with advanced riders).  My VLX nearly requires it to prevent porpoising. 

2.  This seems extremely light on weight.  I may need to try it if it really works as you say it does.

3. My current setup is below.  I get a real good wake, but not sure Im 100% sold yet.  More bow weight and the wake sucks. 

Rear - 250 +750 each side

Mid/Front - MLS filled up then emptied for about 3 mins.  This loses the bow weight but keeps the mid weight as theyre on the same switch. 

Wedge - Fixed down 

Speed - 10.5

Old style mission surf gate - Platform mounted.  

Recently a friend made a ghetto gate using an old axis surfgate paddle and below wake was the best ive ridden so far.  I think with even more bow weight it would be even better. 

Rear - 250 + 750 each side

Mid/front - Full MLS + 500lbs lead 

Speed anywhere from 10.5 - 11.2 depending on length of wave.