Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Setup for 2005 VLX - 3 questions

95echelon

I have an 06 vlx.  last summer I plumbed in 2 reversible pumps to feed two 750's in the lockers.  one of the pumps I tee'd to also fill one 800 in the bow.  i have gour factory tanks.  each pump has its own 1" thru hull now, last summer they shared one.  I also built a ghetto gate the breaks down and has a paddle for each side and has about 20 degrees of adjustment.  so total ballast is about 3500lbs.

We are still pretty new to surfing, but I can easily drip the rope and go until I screw up.  I will try to get a shot of the wave posted when I get a chance.  also I have no wedge, so all dependant on adding ballast.

Edited by stags79
added stuff
Just now, stags79 said:

I have an 06 vlx.  last summer I plumbed in 2 reversible pumps to feed two 750's in the lockers.  one of the pumps I tee'd to also fill one 800 in the bow.  each pump has its own 1" thru hull now, last summer they shared one.  I also built a ghetto gate the breaks down and has a paddle for each side and has about 20 degrees of adjustment. 

We are still pretty new to surfing, but I can easily drip the rope and go until I screw up.  I will try to get a shot of the wave posted when I get a chance.  also I have no wedge, so all dependant on adding ballast.

Not on topic at all, but did the wedge get damaged? I thought they came standard in 06.

Thx for the input! 

Just now, 95echelon said:

Not on topic at all, but did the wedge get damaged? I thought they came standard in 06.

Thx for the input! 

They were standard, but when I got my boat it was already gone.  when we got the boat we were wakeskating 99% of the time so no real need for a wedge.  I'm sure I'd be stoked if i had one, but I've never used one so I don't miss it.  I have better ways to spend that much cash.

3 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Do your sunsetter numbers include the MLS? My setup will likely end up being:

2200 rear (900 wakemakers plus 400 MLS)

900 Center (500 MLS, 400 Current Bow Sac moved to walkway)

1350 Front (350 MLS, 1000 flyhigh triangle (to be bought))

Making a suction surfgate this friday. Maybe martinarcher it in the fall.

Did not want to confuse MLS on my Sunsetter.. yes it is full... MLS is the 400 center locker... ;)

Just now, stags79 said:

They were standard, but when I got my boat it was already gone.  when we got the boat we were wakeskating 99% of the time so no real need for a wedge.  I'm sure I'd be stoked if i had one, but I've never used one so I don't miss it.  I have better ways to spend that much cash.

Is it a floating wedge or fixed wedge? I have the cad drawings for the fix wedge ;)

52 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Did not want to confuse MLS on my Sunsetter.. yes it is full... MLS is the 400 center locker... ;)

Is it a floating wedge or fixed wedge? I have the cad drawings for the fix wedge ;)

I have the bracket for a fixed wedge.  I wouldn't mind having a wedge made, but I think for now I'm just going to keep an eye out for a used one.  Not sure how long until I can talk the cfo into an upgrade.

6 minutes ago, stags79 said:

I have the bracket for a fixed wedge.  I wouldn't mind having a wedge made, but I think for now I'm just going to keep an eye out for a used one.  Not sure how long until I can talk the cfo into an upgrade.

Ebay 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Boats-Manual-Pro-Wedge-2006-Older-Models-89-00011-/231904902408?hash=item35fe9bfd08:g:82IAAOSwfl9XBU4m&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-Boats-Stainless-Steel-Floating-Wedge-6176003-/231873055970?hash=item35fcb60ce2:g:Y0QAAOSwvgdW4YGE&vxp=mtr

going back to the original post, With my setup here is a shot of the goofy side wave on my boat.  I think that day we had three of us in the boat total, all the ballast full, and about 3/4 of a tank by that time in the day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oa9rjdmsxpdcreb/20150807_175811.jpg?dl=0

Another better shot of the wave

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2p4774c9qvwpv91/IMG_4945.JPG?dl=0

my wife in the shot, for some reason wearing my jacket.  she's 5'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oew78nzr4dpwqh/IMG_4916.JPG?dl=0

and here is a shot of my gate setup from last summer. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn3y95vi62mlylp/IMG_20150720_093621.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vp3uonbg4u5e5s/IMG_20150720_093523.jpg?dl=0

Edited by stags79
9 hours ago, Cayute said:

What prop are you running with that setup stags?

Don't laugh, but I'm still using a 537 for now.  It works ok, but the speed does bounce around a bit.  I think if I did have a wedge it wouldn't work at all.  I'm planning to get a 1615 sometime soon.

14 hours ago, jbower said:

My 99 vlx I run 750s in rear lockers full, mls full and about 4-500 in bow. Using a dual suction cup gate and wave is awesome 

Where exactly do you place the gate? I have a 99 vlx as well and am getting ready to build one. 

Just now, atolman said:

Where exactly do you place the gate? I have a 99 vlx as well and am getting ready to build one. 

You can't put it all the way at the back of the boat because the hull curves a little and won't stick I had to bring it forward a good 8 inches and about 1/2-1 inch above the chine. I've only used it once and still need to play around with it a little more but worked great the first time

I have an 07 VLX with Wicked Wake gates for both sides and my current setup which everyone who surfs my boat says the wave is beautiful with great push and good pocket. 

Front and Middle Mls Full 

750 bags in each rear almost full 

Wedge half way down "gauge says Biggest wake" 

Then any extra people set up front and when switching sides I just switch gates. 

10.8 Speed 

I found that filling my factory hard tanks in the rear and extra bags where to much weight so I'm currently in process of disconnecting them and plumbing my bags in to those pumps. So I don't have to keep throwing pump over the side. 

• Like 2
On 6/7/2016 at 8:55 AM, FlipOn30s said:

I have an 07 VLX with Wicked Wake gates for both sides and my current setup which everyone who surfs my boat says the wave is beautiful with great push and good pocket. 

Front and Middle Mls Full 

750 bags in each rear almost full 

Wedge half way down "gauge says Biggest wake" 

Then any extra people set up front and when switching sides I just switch gates. 

10.8 Speed 

I found that filling my factory hard tanks in the rear and extra bags where to much weight so I'm currently in process of disconnecting them and plumbing my bags in to those pumps. So I don't have to keep throwing pump over the side. 

if you call wakemakers they will sell you a "piggyback" hose system. That's what i have on mine. It fills the hard tanks first then the bags. All off the stock pumps. Takes a while to fill and drain, but for my needs it works great.

So your front weight is all MLS and people right?

My swim platform was sunk as well and I think it affected things. Would the front weigh alleviate that or have you folks raised yours?

Yes front is All MLS plus 2/3 people depending on how many in the boat but now I'm only running maybe 600/650 in the rears with wedge. My platform has not been moved or modified you may have to much weight in the rear as I found filling my hard tanks was  too much weight so I don't run them at all as it seems be a lot better. 

I ordered the 1000 pound bow sack from wakemakers. Anyone know where I can get a flow diverter for a reasonable price? I am adding a front hard tank so I might as well install a flow converter off the new pump to fill bags. 

Ok, I skimmed through the replies so forgive me if I'm repeating things but:

First off, 1000# in the bow of that VLX is waaaaaaaay waaaay too much.  And IMO, is dangerous as hell.. Don't even try that. 

Second, without a wake shaping device you HAVE to list your boat.

The optimal setup for that hull is:

PORT SIDE

-400# lead surf side bow compartment (lead is perfect bc you can offset it AND you can store it under your filler cushion leaving your storage compartments open AND you can use it for ballast around helm when surfing starboard)

-(2) 250# bags under port side seats 

- 400 or 500# surf side locker

-ALL MLS full (even non surf side)

-no wedge

-10.6mph

-with a small crew you'll also need a 400# bag on the floor of the cabin surf side

-----

starboard side;

-take the 400# bag & fill surf side bow

-take the 400-500# lead and stash it around driver feet/seat

-400# bag surf side cabin floor

-400# bag surf side locker

- 2 passengers ride behind driver

-no wedge

-ALL MLS full

Again, for your own safety....DO NOT try to load your bow with 1000-1350!!!

Hope this helps...

Edited by -BS-
1 minute ago, -BS- said:

Ok, I skimmed through the replies so forgive me if I'm repeating things but:

First off, 1000# in the bow of that VLX is waaaaaaaay waaaay too much.  And IMO, is dangerous as hell.. Don't even try that. 

Second, without a wake shaping device you HAVE to list your boat.

The optimal setup for that hull is:

PORT SIDE

-400# lead surf side bow compartment (lead is perfect bc you can offset it AND you can store it under your filler cushion leaving your storage compartments open AND you can use it for ballast around helm when surfing starboard)

-(2) 250# bags under port side seats 

- 400 or 500# surf side locker

-ALL MLS full (even non surf side)

-no wedge

-10.6mph

-with a small crew you'll also need a 400# bag on the floor of the cabin surf side

-----

starboard side;

-take the 400# bag & fill surf side bow

-take the 400-500# lead and stash it around driver feet/seat

-400# bag surf side cabin floor

-400# bag surf side locker

- 2 passengers ride behind driver

-no wedge

-ALL MLS full

Again, for your own safety....DO NOT try to load your bow with 1000-1350!!!

Hope this helps...

Thanks for weighing in!

I have the bow tank so no storage up there for me unfortunately.

I won't fill the 1000 pound sac all the way full. In fact once I get the bow tank plumbed in I may not need it. Still a nice to have in my book. The bow weight in my case would be taking the place of all of the playpen weight in your setup. So while the boat would be a bit more bow heavy, I still think it should work out ok. I will watch the freeboard up front though.

I got some assorted sacs to work with now too so that should be fun. (couple of 750's, 2 400's and the 1000 triangle.

I do have a surf device now though, and find it easier to drive with, and a better wave than listed.

I will take your advice and try out some more weight under the seats though.

Also... I should say; your wave preference may vary slightly, so you could think about some slight mods to the formulas listed above (maybe 750 in the rear locker? maybe small speed changes?  maybe using wedge? etc)..... But trust me when I say those formulas are where you should start. For reference, I have 700 hours in the same hull (09 vride) and this is my 12th season wakesurfing...

Cool.  Good luck and enjoy!! I'll be interested to hear whatcha think of your new setup...

28 minutes ago, -BS- said:

Also... I should say; your wave preference may vary slightly, so you could think about some slight mods to the formulas listed above (maybe 750 in the rear locker? maybe small speed changes?  maybe using wedge? etc)..... But trust me when I say those formulas are where you should start. For reference, I have 700 hours in the same hull (09 vride) and this is my 12th season wakesurfing...

Cool.  Good luck and enjoy!! I'll be interested to hear whatcha think of your new setup...

Do you still list or use a surf device?

2 hours ago, -BS- said:

Listed.  The surf systems are SUPER convenient, but I haven't found a single one that compares with the quality & performance of a listed wave... (Including the M235) 

I totally agree with BS. 

Alright I will try on sunday now that I got these extra sacks for a listed setup...

Just bragging a bit but I hit up a guy this winter selling his LSV to see if he wanted to part with any of his gear. This was when i just bought my VLX and had next to nothing. he pings me out of the blue a couple weeks ago and turns out he sold it to someone right near our lake place. So he actually drives to my lake place and sells me the following for "just give me 2 and a quarter". That guy was super nice, my wife and kids are pumped to try everything!

• Inland Surfer Blue lake (original edition, but nice)
  • Hyperlite Womens Wakeboard
  • Hyperlite Childrens wakeboard with two sets of bindings
  • 2 750lb Fat Sacs
  • 1 400 Pound Fat Sac
  • Tsunami Pump 12v
  • 2 Surf Ropes
  • A hyperlite top end wakeboard rope (the coated plastic line kind, super thin)
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, 95echelon said:

Alright I will try on sunday now that I got these extra sacks for a listed setup...

Just bragging a bit but I hit up a guy this winter selling his LSV to see if he wanted to part with any of his gear. This was when i just bought my VLX and had next to nothing. he pings me out of the blue a couple weeks ago and turns out he sold it to someone right near our lake place. So he actually drives to my lake place and sells me the following for "just give me 2 and a quarter". That guy was super nice, my wife and kids are pumped to try everything!

• Inland Surfer Blue lake (original edition, but nice)
  • Hyperlite Womens Wakeboard
  • Hyperlite Childrens wakeboard with two sets of bindings
  • 2 750lb Fat Sacs
  • 1 400 Pound Fat Sac
  • Tsunami Pump 12v
  • 2 Surf Ropes
  • A hyperlite top end wakeboard rope (the coated plastic line kind, super thin)

That's a SCORE in my book.