Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015-2016 Malibu VLX - surf wake with Diamond Hull?

WetSider

At the risk of my son seeing this post, :biggrin: I'd like to learn from those who have experience what their impressions are of surfing behind a 22 VLX with a Diamond Hull. I'm not to the point of seriousness yet to want to spend the time/effort to see (via test ride) the apples-to-apples difference between surfing a Wake Plus hull vs. the Diamond hull. Was hoping initially to get some perspective from those who've seen/ridden in person and can elaborate on the difference.

I'm an open water skier who's got kids who (primarily these days) surf, so I'm wondering if you sacrifice too much in the surf wake with a Diamond to retain the ability to free ski behind a VLX. I want my cake and...oh well. Worth asking the question anyway, right? I've got an '05 Sunsetter LXi with Diamond hull that I ski behind currently, and then we load it up with ballast for the kids to surf. Would be really nice to still be able to keep a reasonable ski wake, and yet have the MLS and PnP ease of setting up for surf vs. all the time/space of filling two 800# bags and side-weighting the Sunsetter to get a passable surf wake.

Thanks!

Sell sun setter. Buy vlx or lsv with wake hull (better resale too) and also buy an echelon/response/sportster for like 8k...

I have tried skiing behind v drives with that diamond hull and they don't hold a candle to a DD.

Kids take the new boat out and you take the DD. Quieter day for you too!

• Like 3

I would only go diamond haul, It handles way better as well. Only down fall is if its super choppy you get a little more spray then wake haul.

Coming From 06 vlx wake haul to 09 vx diamond, night and day. Surf wave is decent and ski wake good as well. Im not a water skier but my dad who skies into 34 off was super impressed and has skied behind response his whole life.

That being said we got a 2012 mxz after that with wake only option and what a tank compared to our 09 vlx.

In the end we have a 2015 23 lsv with diamond haul now it handles like a smaller boat but still pushes out a huge surf wake with surf gate and some extra bag in the lockers.

Just my experience though.....

I like the and/both option. Get a nice vlx or lsv for surf and family and an older inexpensive dd tow tractor for your skiing pleasure. Consider it like many who have a pontoon and a ski/wakeboard boat but way better!!

I like the and/both option. Get a nice vlx or lsv for surf and family and an older inexpensive dd tow tractor for your skiing pleasure. Consider it like many who have a pontoon and a ski/wakeboard boat but way better!!

If I lived on the water with my own dock, this is exactly what I'd do.

I have a 15' VLX w/Diamond Hull that skies like crap, even recreational. My solution was to acquire a 99' MC Prostar 190 for our slalom boat. Realize this is certainly not practical in most cases but we wanted to continue to slalom while we still can.