Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which boat is a better boat 16 23LSV or 16VLX?

bottlefedsi

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the Malibu family and I dont really know the difference between some of the models. My current situation is this. I have gotten a price from my local dealer on a 2016 VLX 22 loaded up for 93k with trailer plus tax and tag. I have gotten other prices for the 23LSV pretty much loaded the same way but dont know which boat is a better boat. We will primarily only surf with it so the surf wave is most important. I also thought the A22 would be a good but for the money, correct me if I am wrong but arent the hulls pretty much the same from the VLX to the A22? Thanks in advance for all your help.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/page/malibu_specs.html

This link will take you to our Specs page where you can see the main differences.

To say which is best depends on your usage. How many people you normally take out. How big your storage is. Sometimes even which vehicle you are towing with. Ideally, you need to sit in both and demo if possible to see which fits you and your crew the best.

I will for sure demo both, just wondered if there was any huge difference other than length. Both boats seem to hold their value the same, If the MSRP is 109xxx and they are offering 93k plus tax and tag is that a good discount for an on the lot 16 VLX? I thought 20 percent was the normal amount most were negotiating.

15 models have been had in the 70's. All depends on the dealer and how much volume they sell. 20% or at least close to it. The MSRP is definitely very high but there are buyers that go in and pay sticker price with no negotiation.

Yeah sorry, not a math major, lol. I was shooting for 90k plus tax so in comparison that seems fair for a 16. I was thinking 16 A22 for 30k cheaper, any thoughts? The specs seem pretty close other than it doesnt say wakesetter and holds alittle less ballast weight.

The A22 is a great choice. You will probably like the bigger bow. The simplicity of the electronics will be nice if you plan to keep it a long time. You can put more ballast in the A22 even though it may not come stock.

I saw that in the specs for the A22, it seems from the specs on both boats that even with plug and play in both the VLX holds 350lbs more? It looks as if the VLX has stock hard tanks that go to the max total ans the A22 is all plug and play after 900 stock. Can someone clear this up?

The A22 has more physical space to put the ballast. You may have to add some of it yourself on top of the stock plug and play bags. There's a lot of guys on here that have done custom setups. Check out the ballast section.

Awesome thanks guys for the all the info, I really like all the tech stuff in the VLX but for 30k less and able to produce the same wake with the A22 with a few more bags i can handle that.

Awesome thanks guys for the all the info, I really like all the tech stuff in the VLX but for 30k less and able to produce the same wake with the A22 with a few more bags i can handle that.

I think you will find that the A22 will have a very different surf wake from the VLX or LSV. Try them all out before you buy. In my limited experience, pickle fork boats do not surf as well as traditional bows (YMMV). Also, you get extra room in the bow with the pickle fork at the expense of less room in the main cabin, which is a bad trade for how we use our boat. I went in expecting to buy an MXZ, but ended up with a VLX mainly because of those 2 things.

The PW2 in the VLX is a huge improvement over the floating wedge in the Axis. 30k? Prolly not, but a big dent. Along with all the other stuff, I think 30k is money well spent on the VLX..., but it is your money.

I would argue the fact pickles don't surf well. However I completely agree about different use of space, bow vs. Cabin.

It seams a lot of traditional bow folks also sacrifice the entire bow with a bow triangle bag. The pickles allow you to tuck weight into those cavities and retain bow usability.

Also there are a couple of other things to consider with Axis vs Bu.

Obviously the electronics, but also the power wedge 2 is night and day different than the Axis wedge. The axis wedge is all or nothing, the power wedge allows variation. Very few people with power wedge run all or nothing, full wedge tends to wash out your wave, no wedge and your wave is too flat. So no an A22 and 22VLX wave will not be the same. Both will be good, but the VLX will have more fine tuning capabilities.

Just my $.02

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1

I know you were just kidding but there seams to be a very slim cost difference between the VLX and the LSV. My dealer (if he's being 100% honest) says there's only ~$1200 difference after you add the wake view seating, which is std on the LSV. If that's accurate, I asked myself .. why do they sell VLX's? ;)

Different, yes .. but I believe the pickle fork surf issues was resolved w/ and update in '15 or there abouts. I think they all surf similar (but different :) )

I think you will find that the A22 will have a very different surf wake from the VLX or LSV. Try them all out before you buy. In my limited experience, pickle fork boats do not surf as well as traditional bows (YMMV). Also, you get extra room in the bow with the pickle fork at the expense of less room in the main cabin, which is a bad trade for how we use our boat. I went in expecting to buy an MXZ, but ended up with a VLX mainly because of those 2 things.

I know you were just kidding but there seams to be a very slim cost difference between the VLX and the LSV. My dealer (if he's being 100% honest) says there's only ~$1200 difference after you add the wake view seating, which is std on the LSV. If that's accurate, I asked myself .. why do they sell VLX's? ;)

1) Less ballast to get the same size wake?

If you believe that, then (2) less engine to get the same size wake, (3) better performance to get the same size wake, (4) less gas to get the same size wake.

I love the LSV, but when I really want to have a good wakeboarding outing, I prefer 4 or fewer riders. The extra size isn't a benefit.

Yeah sorry, not a math major, lol. I was shooting for 90k plus tax so in comparison that seems fair for a 16. I was thinking 16 A22 for 30k cheaper, any thoughts? The specs seem pretty close other than it doesnt say wakesetter and holds alittle less ballast weight.

I've got a T22 and will vouch for the axis line all day long. My wave is pretty sweet...are there better waves? Sure...but my wave is better than I could ever be (if that makes sense?). I've got to imagine the a22 will throw out a very nice wave.

And sometimes I like to take the 30k cash I saved by buying an axis and run it as my bow ballast. ;)

Seriously though...jealous of the spot you are in. Can't go wrong.

• Like 2