Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just ordered Perfect Pass, need to verify my engine and what guage do you run?

triscadek

So I just called them and ordered. It doesn't ship until tomorrow so I have time to correct if I need to.

She only gave me three options for the engine in my boat, monsoon, LS1 or 2 I forget and the hammerhead. I believe it's the monsoon. It's the 5.7 Vortec @ 320-325hp.

I also ordered the 5" gauge to replace my speedo. I have two 3" gauges that do not get used much, one is time, temp and depth and then another is just depth. They are on the lower part of the dash and point almost directly up. Factory Malibu I believe. I'm kind of torn on replacing the speedo and breaking up the appearance of the dash as well as having a bright white 5" gauge in my face at night vs my full set of red gauges.

She said I'd want it handy to change on the fly. How much will I really be messing with it and will I be happier with the 5" or 3" and keeping my dash looking original?

EDIT: my current gauges are black. Do I need to request a black or white face? She never specified.

Edited by triscadek

Call Malibu and ask for the build sheet for your boat; You need your HIN, and they can pull info from the database to tell you what they know. The differences in the engines are significant, so if you had something other than the classic Monsoon/350 chances are you would know it. Based on the age of the boat listed in your profile Malibu may not have much information in the database. If you're near the boat, get the engine serial number off the build plate/block and call Indmar; just like Malibu, they can tell you everything they know about your engine.

As for mounting the PerfectPass gauge: everyone has their preferences, but in my '02 I made a custom bracket/pod that went on the bottom right side of the dash for a 3" gauge so I could leave the stock dash alone and still have easy access to the PerfectPass controls and keep my hand on/near the throttle. I thought I recall seeing an aftermarket gauge pod for this exact purpose on TMC in the past few weeks, maybe in the equalizer mounting thread... Hopefully someone can post a link to what I saw if I don't find it quickly.

Good luck with the PerfectPass, it's a big step up from manual throttle control. Did you get the "stargazer" (GPS) version? Mine was the paddlewheel & RPM version (6.5ng) and I always ran it in RPM mode...

I do know for sure that it has the Vortec 350. I can get the info after work today.

And yes I ordered the stargazer wake edition with the GPS. She said no paddles

Edited by triscadek

Make sure it's the black. If it were me I would replace the 5" gauge. It only looks funny for a time or two out then it looks normal. Like every other tournament/promo boat that is used.

Thank you. I'll call her back. I like the under dash mount.

Edited by triscadek

I did some more googling for my style dash with the 5" gauge. It doesn't look bad at all. I'm just going to leave the order as is. I did call her to verify it was indeed a black gauge.

If your going to run the river you may want to rethink the gps and go with a paddle wheel if possible. you will have to adjust your gps to compensate for current.

PP is the main gauge I look at. I would want it accessible, and easily readable. Maybe wakeboarders don't need as much access compared to skiers. If I remember correctly there should be a connection in the master module for the paddle wheel...but you might want to check with PP.

The one thing I don't like about my big bright PP is, driving at night. I can turn off all the other gauges, but not PP, I fix this with a t-shirt.

If your going to run the river you may want to rethink the gps and go with a paddle wheel if possible. you will have to adjust your gps to compensate for current.

I did not think of that. We will run the river but we will be on Oologah, keystone and grand as well. More so grand. Honey creek has good water in the back most of the time We have decided to get a travel trailer to leave up at grand for the summer to stay the weekends in which is where the rest of the family is. Soooo when we run the river we will just have to figure out the rate of the current I guess.

I did not think of that. We will run the river but we will be on Oologah, keystone and grand as well. More so grand. Honey creek has good water in the back most of the time We have decided to get a travel trailer to leave up at grand for the summer to stay the weekends in which is where the rest of the family is. Soooo when we run the river we will just have to figure out the rate of the current I guess.

RPM mode will do that as well, and does a much better job during turns anyway. I pretty much leave mine in RPM mode now.