Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Beginner board suggestion for my small wife

Nitrousbird

My wife finally started attempting to surf late last season. Most of my friends are bigger guys, so I don't have a small board for her to learn on.

She has the choice of a:

Inland Surfer Red Rocket (I'm 6'3", 205 and that damn thing is too big for me)

Triple X Nitro - my board, 5' version

Hyperlite Broadcast - it's either the 5'4 or 5'6 version, general boat board

She was learning on the Broadcast, as the others weren't an option for her, but it's still too big, as she's 5'2", 100lbs.

What board would be good for her that:

- Has lots of push

- Very stable for beginners, both in tracking and balance

- Isn't super spendy...something available in the used market would be even better

Obviously I have plenty of shopping time left. Her needs are very different than mine and I want to ensure she has the right board to help her learn.

I throw extra fins in the Inland Caro Pro to teach beginner girls your wifes size and larger. Inlands are an investment but with this set up as they progress they can change the fin set up and go which ever way they like i.e. skim/surf. One board for many levels and styles thanks to Inlands fin options and selection. Other boards do this as well so I would give that option of fin choices look and save money in the long run. This also leaves more room in racks for the men's arsenal of boards. hint hint. :rockon:

For 5'2" ~100 lbs, here is a solid list of 2016 skim style boards to consider:

• Inland Surfer Caro 51" $764.99 - pretty big which makes it harder to control without extra fins, but it's popular because it's widely available. This board is better suited for 5'5"+ 140+ lbs
  • Phase 5 Diamond Luv 48" $699.99 - very popular board. The size is much better for under 5'5" which makes it easier to control. The wide tail makes it stable even for beginners.
  • Phase 5 Matrix 48" $738.99 - Similar ride to the luv, but with better response and performance because of the narrower outline and pin tail.
  • Victoria Pixie XS (46") $599.99 - great size for under 5'5". The wide profile gives the board a lot of push from the wake and also keeps it very stable side to side. Great for beginners or riders trying to learn spins or shuvs.
  • Victoria Project V Small (46.75") $599.99 - great size for under 5'5". very responsive and fast, but really solid edge control because of the pin tail and 5/8" rails that hold the wake better.
  • Victoria Debut Small (48") $179.99 - Extremely stable and tracks like it has 5 fins. The density of the wood makes it sit deeper which makes it stable and absorb rough water.

From my experience teaching a lot of female riders, having the proper size board is going to make a big difference. If a board is too big, it is going to ride really high on the water which is going to make it harder and slower to respond as well as it makes the board much looser because the board isn't sitting deep enough in the water. When you get someone on the right size board, they will instantly have more control and be able to progress much faster.

People that recommend bigger or more fins on skimboards are usually doing so because they havent ridden the right size board. They are designed to be ridden with the single fin and weight recommendations for a reason. Skim style boards are plenty grippy when ridding the right size board. They get their grip from burying the rail into the wake. When a board is too big, it has too much float and it is very hard to sink the rail into the wake. Also, if the rail of the board is too thick and/or round it is much harder to dig into wake. When the rail cant dig in, the board ends up being ridden flatbased and slips and slides around unless you have monster fins.

Note: I made a list of skim style boards because female riders I know prefer skim style, also there is no point in making a list of surf style boards because you can get them customized to any spec imaginable.

Edited by wakemitch
:whistle:

For 5'2" ~100 lbs, here is a solid list of 2016 skim style boards to consider:

• Inland Surfer Caro 51" $764.99 - pretty big which makes it harder to control without extra fins, but it's popular because it's widely available. This board is better suited for 5'5"+ 140+ lbs
  • Phase 5 Diamond Luv 48" $699.99 - very popular board. The size is much better for under 5'5" which makes it easier to control. The wide tail makes it stable even for beginners.
  • Phase 5 Matrix 48" $738.99 - Similar ride to the luv, but with better response and performance because of the narrower outline and pin tail.
  • Victoria Pixie XS (46") $599.99 - great size for under 5'5". The wide profile gives the board a lot of push from the wake and also keeps it very stable side to side. Great for beginners or riders trying to learn spins or shuvs.
  • Victoria Project V Small (46.75") $599.99 - great size for under 5'5". very responsive and fast, but really solid edge control because of the pin tail and 5/8" rails that hold the wake better.
  • Victoria Debut Small (48") $179.99 - Extremely stable and tracks like it has 5 fins. The density of the wood makes it sit deeper which makes it stable and absorb rough water.

From my experience teaching a lot of female riders, having the proper size board is going to make a big difference. If a board is too big, it is going to ride really high on the water which is going to make it harder and slower to respond as well as it makes the board much looser because the board isn't sitting deep enough in the water. When you get someone on the right size board, they will instantly have more control and be able to progress much faster.

People that recommend bigger or more fins on skimboards are usually doing so because they havent ridden the right size board. They are designed to be ridden with the single fin and weight recommendations for a reason. Skim style boards are plenty grippy when ridding the right size board. They get their grip from burying the rail into the wake. When a board is too big, it has too much float and it is very hard to sink the rail into the wake. Also, if the rail of the board is too thick and/or round it is much harder to dig into wake. When the rail cant dig in, the board ends up being ridden flatbased and slips and slides around unless you have monster fins.

Note: I made a list of skim style boards because female riders I know prefer skim style, also there is no point in making a list of surf style boards because you can get them customized to any spec imaginable.

Skim boards are way less forgiving to beginners when it comes to providing thrust to keep them on wave without rope and learn to move back and forth on wave. The extra fins provide this thrust and also added stability. :whistle:

Edited by alpensurf23

You dont get thrust from fins on a skimboard. Skimboards get their speed from their flat rocker and planing.

Surfboards get their speed from fins. The curved rocker and fins are used to drive the board and create thrust.

A skimboard with big fins is the worst of both worlds. It wont ride like a skim style board, and makes a bad surf style board.

I do a ton of clinics and lessons and the proper size skimboard has all the stability you need.

Just like the proper sized surf style board will help riders be more comfortable as well.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that throwing big fins on a board that is too big is not the same as buying the proper sized board.

I am not making this surf vs skim. I like both a lot. Riders can learn on either style just as well, but if either is the wrong size, it's going to be harder to learn and less comfortable

Edited by wakemitch

You dont get thrust from fins on a skimboard. Skimboards get their speed from their flat rocker and planing.

Surfboards get their speed from fins. The curved rocker and fins are used to drive the board and create thrust.

A skimboard with big fins is the worst of both worlds. It wont ride like a skim style board, and makes a bad surf style board.

I do a ton of clinics and lessons and the proper size skimboard has all the stability you need.

Just like the proper sized surf style board will help riders be more comfortable as well.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that throwing big fins on a board that is too big is not the same as buying the proper sized board.

I am not making this surf vs skim. I like both a lot. Riders can learn on either style just as well, but if either is the wrong size, it's going to be harder to learn and less comfortable

I had no idea that surf boards were so specialized. Im sure what I have is complete garbage after reading this.

• Like 1

phase 5 makes a couple of fin sizes for their boards. This is the one that would usually come with a prop: http://www.wakeboards.com/Phase-5-1-Replacement-Fin-p/phase5_1_inch_fin.htm. I'm just suggesting that this one: http://shop.phase5boards.com/products/2-inch-fin works better for true beginners so they don't have the board "banana peel" on them. I'm not suggesting putting a 10" longboard fin on there.

• Like 1

No suggestions as we're both still learning.....but could I borrow that Red Rocket sometime this summer? My boat or yours...or maybe we could just meet up at the lake? I really think it would be good suited for my size...but don't want to spend that kind of money without ever being on one.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 2

I don't know if it is the best board, but my wife learnt with this one :

http://www.evo.com/wakesurf-boards/ronix-march-mellow-thrasher-board-womens.aspx

and friends (women) as well, and they were very happy with it.

Not a bad price.

Why not get her a board designed for smaller/light riders?

That's my intention.

Inlands are an investment

I'm not looking for an investment. If she can get comfortable going ropeless on a cheap board, then she can get herself whatever expensive board she wants.

I'm liking the price on this one. $600+ boards just don't make sense for her needs. They make sense for MY needs. :)

could I borrow that Red Rocket sometime this summer? My boat or yours...or maybe we could just meet up at the lake? I really think it would be good suited for my size...but don't want to spend that kind of money without ever being on one.

The board is my buddy's board, which I like to refer to as the barn door. The thing is huge but he is a big guy. He is out with us at least once every weekend. You are welcome to come out with us this summer and try it. Here is him surfing on it; he is 6'5" for reference:

IMG_1290_zpsnjjxqbli.jpg

I just happen to have phase 5 prop if your interested

I think that may be a bit too big for her. Better than everything else we have, but probably not right for her. Not that I'd mind getting another surf board for myself but that's too small for me. :(

I think that may be a bit too big for her. Better than everything else we have, but probably not right for her. Not that I'd mind getting another surf board for myself but that's too small for me. :(

it would work fine. size not so critical on a skim as surf imho because there's very little "float" to the board. A too big surf style board (or too thick/too much floatation) is much more noticeable.

• Like 1

My daughter is 5'1" 100 pounds wet

She loves her phase5 jam surf 49"

Or the phase 5 diamond luv for skim style

You can usually find a phase5 dealer that will let you test ride them

You can in Dallas area anyway

I agree 100%

My wife and daughters all use the IS Squirt. They range from 85-110 lbs. and all loved the board behind our 2000 LSV. When we were demoing boats this fall they were constantly having to be on the brakes. We will probably have to get something different this year. My point is get a board that not only fits the rider but also the boat your behind.

I ended up ordering her a Victoria Debut. Why?

- Recommendation here

- Research showed nothing but very positive things about this board, especially for a newbie

- At $179 shipped, you can't beat that price, period.

• Like 2

I ended up ordering her a Victoria Debut. Why?

- Recommendation here

- Research showed nothing but very positive things about this board, especially for a newbie

- At $179 shipped, you can't beat that price, period.

Where did you buy this?

She got her V-day board...she seemed to like it. It's very nicely built. If it even rides like a crappy entry level board, it's a steal @ $180 shipped. The cheapest junk out there that rides like crap goes for more than that. From what I'm reading, it rides a lot better than an entry level board, which is basically giving it away at this price.

Where did you buy this?

Here (though they don't have the small listed now, only the large...which is odd since they drop shipped it from Victoria): http://www.surfoutfitter.com/victoria-debut-wakesurf-board.html