Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any 2015 Owner Purchase the Surf band Yet, Thoughts?

Wakesetter67

Ya, if it had been on my 2015 VLX, it would have been a big distraction and source of frustration for me. I think they do a lot of harm when they push something out the door before it is ready (even if they ultimately fix it). I suppose there are many people that would be able to shrug it off, but I'd fixate on my "new broken boat." My goodwill towards Microsoft has taken a big hit with the issues I've been having with my surface book and the surface dock. It has consumed untold hours and been a huge distraction at work (it's my work computer).

Edited by Cory

Ya, if it had been on my 2015 VLX, it would have been a big distraction and source of frustration for me. I think they do a lot of harm when they push something out the door before it is ready (even if they ultimately fix it). I suppose there are many people that would be able to shrug it off, but I'd fixate on my "new broken boat." My goodwill towards Microsoft has taken a big hit with the issues I've been having with my surface book and the surface dock. It has consumed untold hours and been a huge distraction at work (it's my work computer).

We bought some Surface books to replace some of our current laptop line at work...and they've all been sent back. Lots of issues. As you said, it appears that it wasn't quite ready and they pushed it out.

BTW everyone, it's not bluetooth. It's RF.

It would make sense not to be Bluetooth, there's not a lot of data being sent (like when playing audio), and it's only one way communication. I'll bet it's just repackaged automotive keyless entry technology.

The issue might be caused by RF interference, there's large source of it at the back of the boat, the engine fuel injection and ignition.

Interesting to know it's not BT. I'm not sure who stated it was BT, but I know I've assumed it was as long as I've known about it.

I'll go look in the '16 manual, but is there anything on the dash system that indicates the surf band is a component of the system and/or attached?

It's in the output screen under settings. Once the receiver is plugged in the option to turn it on pops up.

If it is a 16 model it is attached.

I don't have part numbers, but you order the band through your dealer. You would have to bring your boat in as well and there is an update for the system to make it work. The factory rep was in last Oct I believe and he said it would be a 6-700 dollar add on, but it would be compatible. Also if you wanted to add the reaeview camera from the factory, that can be done as well. So I was told

Can't add the rear camera. Surfband retrofit for 2015 isn't available yet.

Can't add the rear camera. Surfband retrofit for 2015 isn't available yet.

Back in October, I was told March for the 15s as they were backordered then for the 16s. Our buddy ordered and bought the first 16 through our dealer and it didn't come with a band, the band didn't get to the dealer until December. So we'll see how the march date works out. Camera will be retro, maybe not released yet. Everything you need is already there, I even put a camera in my boat as a few others have

Back in October, I was told March for the 15s as they were backordered then for the 16s. Our buddy ordered and bought the first 16 through our dealer and it didn't come with a band, the band didn't get to the dealer until December. So we'll see how the march date works out. Camera will be retro, maybe not released yet. Everything you need is already there, I even put a camera in my boat as a few others have

Correct, the early 16's did not come with it but kits were sent out to dealers for the boats that didn't get them installed.

My sources tell me the hardware is not in the screen for the camera option to be added to the 15's. The 15 and 16 screens are different.

Correct, the early 16's did not come with it but kits were sent out to dealers for the boats that didn't get them installed.

My sources tell me the hardware is not in the screen for the camera option to be added to the 15's. The 15 and 16 screens are different.

Curious what hardware they are speaking of. You only need a video out. From camera to screen. As said, I put a camera in mine, I'll have to look for a picture of I have one

Curious what hardware they are speaking of. You only need a video out. From camera to screen. As said, I put a camera in mine, I'll have to look for a picture of I have one

Probably referencing the auto trigger of the camera on the display when you put it in reverse?

I have to say that I'm not interested in the video, I have a GoPro that displays on a iPad in a dash mount above the 7" screen. I'd rather have the gauges in front of me on the dash vs. video. I have a designated observer in the boat for a reason, as the driver I want to make sure I'm watching in front of me for "wally" and floating debris; I'll watch the video later, but safety is now.

Despite the surf band changing the speed, wedge, surf gate, etc. the input/impact on the driver should be minimal. The driver can always override the controls is there is something they need to account for/avoid.

I'm not trying to start a debate over the rear-view camera, I'm sure some people love it, but it's just not for me...

Does anyone know if the new storage locker under the driver's seat would be an easy retrofit? When I mean easy, I mean I can unscrew the four screws holding the current black plastic panel in place, slide in the new cubby box, and the screw holes will line up?

Edited by Cory

Does anyone know if the new storage locker under the driver's seat would be an easy retrofit? When I mean easy, I mean I can unscrew the four screws holding the current black plastic panel in place, slide in the new cubby box, and the screw holes will line up?

Good question, Cory. Maybe when my boat arrives we do some R&D ...?