Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What action camera?

wakedncsu

Previously we had a really cheap, knock off GoPro camera called GearPro. It has since bit the dust. I would like to upgrade to a better quality camera for taking video on the boat. I am very ignorant to this market. The only think I know to look at is the different products offered by GoPro. What are the rest of you using for an action camera? I am interested in input about product lines and accessories. We spent about half the time with the camera attached to the boat and half the time literally throwing it around to each other to film things by hand. The old case had no audio. I really miss that. There are times where I know the dialogue was awesome but got missed in filming. I would really like to be able to capture better audio as well. I know GoPro's do that; however, I don't know if that is something that happens because people aren't using the waterproof case or not. Thanks.

Audio works decently with the waterproof case - that is all I ever used with the 3 GoPros that I've owned. It seems to pick up all of the start house chatter when I have used it snow skiing even though the camera was mounted to my ski.

Featurewise I'm looking at selling my gopro hero 4 silver in favor of a camera that has an accelerometer, because I want to be able to track speed with the video. Currently leaning towards the Garmin VIRB XE or Elite

Edited by oldjeep

Audio works decently with the waterproof case - that is all I ever used with the 3 GoPros that I've owned. It seems to pick up all of the start house chatter when I have used it snow skiing even though the camera was mounted to my ski.

Featurewise I'm looking at selling my gopro hero 4 silver in favor of a camera that has an accelerometer, because I want to be able to track speed with the video. Currently leaning towards the Garmin VIRB XE or Elite

What is the use case for wanting to track speed? Is this while you are headed down a mountain or on the water?

What is the use case for wanting to track speed? Is this while you are headed down a mountain or on the water?

Ski racing. Currently I use a tracker program on my phone but I'd like the ability to overlay the speed info on the video.

I have a couple of cameras that I use on the boat that are both considered "tough" (waterproof/shockproof/dustproof):

Lumix DMC-TS4 - Great all around camera and takes very good videos (with good audio). This takes 12.1 MP stills as well as 1080p video.

Kodak PlaySport - Has a 720p 60fps mode to capture action. I use this on the boat as well as downhill skiing for recording video. Stills are not that great, though.

Neither camera comes with a dedicated mount, but they both have the standard tripod mount screw hole, so I bet there are plenty of options out there.

SJCAM. 1/4 of the price of a GOPRO, same tech, same build quality, comes with many many accessories (all interchangeable with any GoPro cam). Buy from a reputable online dealer (amazon).

I have the SJCAM4000 with wifi. The app works great as well. I've used it nonstop in the ocean, pool, surf, and it has held up. It also has all the same shooting modes as a gopro. Don't spend hundreds more on a Gopro.

They have released 5000 model that can do 4K.

Edited by saxton15
  • Like 3

I see you have one in the classifieds for sale...good price too.

SJCAM. 1/4 of the price of a GOPRO, same tech, same build quality, comes with many many accessories (all interchangeable with any GoPro cam). Buy from a reputable online dealer (amazon).

I have the SJCAM4000 with wifi. The app works great as well. I've used it nonstop in the ocean, pool, surf, and it has held up. It also has all the same shooting modes as a gopro. Don't spend hundreds more on a Gopro.

They have released 5000 model that can do 4K.

I second this camera, bought one last summer and love it. We have had no issues.

https://youtu.be/1aVOEHCvw1o

FWIW, an accelerometer doesn't measure speed (velocity), it measures acceleration or changes in speed / direction. If you are moving at a constant speed and direction, an accelerometer output would be zero. Can be used to measure g forces etc.

GPS facility can be used to measure speed.

Just mentioning it since you may be disappointed if you get a camera that has an accelerometer but might not measure velocity...

I have the Sony Action Cam which I use on the boat and for snow skiing. Has great video and audio. The camera is water "resistant" as it comes, without an additional case, but there there is also a water proof case if you need it. I like the form factor better, it's like a very mini camcorder shape, not the box shape of a Go Pro. For snow skiing I like it because it gets mounted to a clip on your goggle band, it doesn't have to go on the top of your helmet like a Go Pro.

The main thing I like about the system the controller that you wear on your wrist to control it! It streams the video from the camera to your wrist so you can see where it is pointed! Works great!

http://actioncam.sony.com/

• Like 2

FWIW, an accelerometer doesn't measure speed (velocity), it measures acceleration or changes in speed / direction. If you are moving at a constant speed and direction, an accelerometer output would be zero. Can be used to measure g forces etc.

GPS facility can be used to measure speed.

Just mentioning it since you may be disappointed if you get a camera that has an accelerometer but might not measure velocity...

The garmin has gps as well, interested in the g's as well.

Fwiw, no camera goes anywhere on my helmet. Already had one accident a few years ago when a gopro didnt let go and really cranked my neck in a crash.

Edited by oldjeep

related, but a bit of a hijack...sorry in advance.

I'm looking for a camera suitable for outdoor use, but as small as possible, good resolution and NOT wide angle. my GoPro is a poor choice mounted to my bow. a deer 30 yards away can barely be seen. anybody have small sized video camera with a regular-style lens (zoom, etc) that is small enough for bow/gun mount?

related, but a bit of a hijack...sorry in advance.

I'm looking for a camera suitable for outdoor use, but as small as possible, good resolution and NOT wide angle. my GoPro is a poor choice mounted to my bow. a deer 30 yards away can barely be seen. anybody have small sized video camera with a regular-style lens (zoom, etc) that is small enough for bow/gun mount?

I'm waiting for this to come down on price or more companies to offer something similar...http://shotkam.com

I have a couple of cameras that I use on the boat that are both considered "tough" (waterproof/shockproof/dustproof):

Lumix DMC-TS4 - Great all around camera and takes very good videos (with good audio). This takes 12.1 MP stills as well as 1080p video.

Kodak PlaySport - Has a 720p 60fps mode to capture action. I use this on the boat as well as downhill skiing for recording video. Stills are not that great, though.

Neither camera comes with a dedicated mount, but they both have the standard tripod mount screw hole, so I bet there are plenty of options out there.

is that lumix waterproof as is? or do you have to put it in a case?

is that lumix waterproof as is? or do you have to put it in a case?

It's waterproof as-is down to 40ft. To go deeper, there is a case for it (not included with camera).

Did you watch the X games? Accelerometer pucks on the boards. Pretty neat. Not a camera but neat info to see.

• 3 months later...

Bump....I hate my gopro and need a replacement. I see no need to spend hundreds this time around....is the SJCAM still the top choice?