Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow Storm Damage

Soon2BV

Major, major damage at Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow Lake from ice and snow, causing docks to sink and roofs to collapse.

Here is a link to Marine Assist, a salvage company that has boats at Cumberland.

https://www.facebook.com/marineassist/

Here is Sunset Marina on Dale Hollow. Lots of snow but no collapse.

https://www.facebook.com/SunsetMarina/

And video of a 100 foot+ houseboat named "Male Order" as it slowly sinks from the storm damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXGM3CbGKc

So this looks to becoming a moor frequent issue. I think if I was down in the area I might be looking at selling sprinkler systems you could draw warm lake water and wash roofs down. Keep the ice and snow from building up. JMHO

• Like 3

So this looks to becoming a moor frequent issue. I think if I was down in the area I might be looking at selling sprinkler systems you could draw warm lake water and wash roofs down. Keep the ice and snow from building up. JMHO

I know they have those ugly roof deicing cables on the market, although they do work well. Regardless of what the solution is, you would think they would have looked into this by now, so sad to see all the damage!

It would freeze and make it worse.

Like sea spray.

cold%20cars.jpg

I know they have those ugly roof deicing cables on the market, although they do work well. Regardless of what the solution is, you would think they would have looked into this by now, so sad to see all the damage!

I've read where these are blamed for starting fires. Maybe their old or on crappy roofs or something. But may not always be the best solution. And aren't they permanently installed? Seems like overkill for that area.

It would freeze and make it worse.

Like sea spray.

cold%20cars.jpg

Not if you run it with warm lake water. I don't know how warm the lake water is but I bet in the 40s or better. Heck we bubble large boats in the water all winter up in the north and can keep ice from closing in and our temps both water and air are much much worse.

I've read where these are blamed for starting fires. Maybe their old or on crappy roofs or something. But may not always be the best solution. And aren't they permanently installed? Seems like overkill for that area.

They aren't the greatest solution out there I agree with that... I believe they can be either permanent or temporary depending on the model. I agree it may be somewhat "overkill" but when millions of dollars in damages just occurred as a result of snow, I think the relative low cost could be justified. I honestly think heated liquid through a pipe is better (fun fact that is how they keep Lambeau Field (Home of the Green Bay Packers from freezing), but that would definitely be more expensive than the roof cable.

Why wouldn't you just make the roof pitch steeper???

I went downstairs after my last post to do a workout and thought the same thing. It loos like a very small roof pitch. Could it be to have less wind drag. Easy to hold in one area? Just think I would only be fixing this one time before I rethought the problem.

• Like 2

I went downstairs after my last post to do a workout and thought the same thing. It loos like a very small roof pitch. Could it be to have less wind drag. Easy to hold in one area? Just think I would only be fixing this one time before I rethought the problem.

As a contractor...what I see in the video was built such out of laziness and/or to save money. No thought was put into potential snow/ice accumulation. Hell...I'm in NC and I wouldn't build a pier like that with that pitch roof and it hardly snows here.

Not if you run it with warm lake water. I don't know how warm the lake water is but I bet in the 40s or better. Heck we bubble large boats in the water all winter up in the north and can keep ice from closing in and our temps both water and air are much much worse.

Once it's up off the surface, and in thin sheets like that, it freezes very quickly. Wind blowing on top, and underneath the roof? It would run the risk to build a lot of ice pretty quickly.

Why wouldn't you just make the roof pitch steeper???

Just for reference, I live in WV. We only got about 15" here, but I am flipping a small ranch house currently, and put a new metal roof on it. It only has 4/12 pitch, and every bit of the 15" of snow we got slid off the first day! I agree with the above statement, what was done here was done on the cheap, and has now bit them in the butt!!

Once it's up off the surface, and in thin sheets like that, it freezes very quickly. Wind blowing on top, and underneath the roof? It would run the risk to build a lot of ice pretty quickly.

True if you do not keep the water flowing long enough to get the snow off. We use heated metal roofs in area that are intersecting valises and the snow hangs up in. Once the snow slides the heat is shut off. Just no issue. What are the water temps in the area in the winter? Do your lakes even cool enough to invert. Our lakes invert every spring and winter of late fall. summer cold water goes to the bottom winter cold water comes to the top. If I go out on my lake now water about 18' down will be in the lower 40s may be even higher. all I know is If I were an insurance co. I would not continue to sell insurance at a reasonable rate if this is a continuing issue. Maybe more flotation and more substantial load bearing construction. I just would be so upset if I had my boat in one of the covered docks. I know we deal with winter weather up in the north and things are addressed for it.

I come from a background that says if you fail you should learn, go out and do it so it does not fail again for the same reason.

.................If I go out on my lake now water about 18' down will be in the lower 40s may be even higher. all I know is If I were an insurance co. I would not continue to sell insurance at a reasonable rate if this is a continuing issue. Maybe more flotation and more substantial load bearing construction. I just would be so upset if I had my boat in one of the covered docks. I know we deal with winter weather up in the north and things are addressed for it.

I come from a background that says if you fail you should learn, go out and do it so it does not fail again for the same reason.

Have you seen the floods that keep happening in Texas on the Guadalupe? It would be interesting to hear how many boats were insured & paid off in the last few years. :Doh:

Keep in mind many of these marinas and docks are old, many are wooden or lighter weight and not necessarily originally designed for the size and weight of current boats.

Marinas in that area are also not huge money makers. Short boating season, Lake Cumberland Dam has been under repair for several years and the lake was kept low, etc.

The newer docks being built are made to withstand these loads - most of what you are seeing are the older facilities.

And the idea of electric heating on the roofs would concern me because a) the power often goes out - these guys are at the literal end of the line, and b) electric cables running across the roof of a floating dock just scares me a little

• Like 1