Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surge Brake Slamming?

triscadek

I have a Dorsey, 2000 model and the surge brake on the tongue slams everytime I slow down. They have never worked properly since I bought the boat last year and now I would like to fix them. Do I just need some fluid or a new hitch or?

Do your brakes work? It sounds like your fluid is gone which is indicative of a leak, probably in one of the cylinders. I'm afraid you are not in for a quick fix.

No, they do not work and no fluid. I had plans on replacing the cylinders, races and bearings... Do I need a new hitch also?

Edited by triscadek

Look at the brakes. If your fluid is low it's most likely the pads are warn and need replaced. If it was leaking you would be able to tell. You also need to bleed the system after you've replaced what ever your replacing.

• 2 weeks later...

My brake pistons were seized. Fluid would flow and compress, brakes just did not move so the tongue would just slam forward. Replaced the brake cylinders (actually did the whole backing plate, its cheaper) and then bled the brakes and all is quiet and works again!