Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Wiring Harness - any pictures

Murphy8166

I don't have any pictures, but it's a bit of mess since not everything is part of the same connector. The in-boat speakers, power, ground, and signal (relay turn on for amps) are in a large plug, everything else is direct plugged to the black box. The only exception is the power distribution for the high-amp equipment (amps).

I might have some pics...will have a look. In the interim, this is burned into my head given the challenges I had when reassembling.

Is the pigtail you are asking about on the boat side of the harness or the black box side?

In the stock setup, that molex on the boat side plugs into the black box. However, it has a pigtail of 3 wires that hang off of it (which I believe is what you are asking about) which on mine are yellow (12V constant), yellow with a red stripe (remote turn on) and black (ground). These ran direct to the first amp - see pic below.

post-31175-0-79942100-1453772249_thumb.j

Edited by NCSurfing

It's a confusing question because there are really two parts and they get power from different sources:

1. The "black box" Rockford Fosgate RFX6000-SX gets power from the harness and puts power out on the blue "remote" lead.

2. The "head unit" or remote interface to the black box is the 7" computer to the right of the steering wheel; it gets power from the main relay bus (2x black boxes) under the dash. The Viper II unit is the 7" computer and 2x relay boxes and it is powered on by the silver power button on the dash.

When you power on the round silver button the 7" computer boots, that enables the Viper II software to send a trigger signal to the black box to turn on, when the black box turns on it sends a 12V signal to the amps to turn them on...

Edited by mikeo

I struggled figuring out what powered what myself however, Mikeo has it right. To give you an application example (which may help with your last question), when I rewired I took the power and ground from the pigtail and wired them to my distribution blocks and ran the remote turn on lead to a relay, which was also connected to the distribution blocks. Then a remote lead from the relay to the first amp, which was then daisy chained to the next 3 (4 total).

Hope this isn't introducing confusion as I am assuming we are both referring to the pigtail in the same way. I am confused though why your wires are different colors...

Edited by NCSurfing

So which wire from the computer turns this whole thing on. Is it the ignition wite

There isn't one specific wire from the computer, it's a digital bus. The computer mimics the touchscreen remote needed to turn on the black box.

You have this:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/rfx6000-sx

It needs this:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/rfxmr5bb

but you don't have that remote/display, it's all done in the computer.

If you look at this diagram:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2014/8_RF_Marine/RFX6000-SX-IRS.pdf

There are two places where a RFXMR5BB can be plugged in; one of the plugs goes to the computer, the other one may go to a transom remote or just left hanging. The digital signal from the computer (which emulates the RFXMR5BB) turns on the black box.

Here is how I have it set up so far.

RFX 6000, Relay and EQ all get power from the positive dist block

RFX 6000, relay and EQ all get ground from the negative distrbution block,

Remote turn on wire from RFX 6000 goes to a relay - then to a terminal strip and from there there is a wire going to the EQ and each of the 3 amps.

Am I missing anything.

Here is how I have it set up so far.

RFX 6000, Relay and EQ all get power from the positive dist block

RFX 6000, relay and EQ all get ground from the negative distrbution block,

Remote turn on wire from RFX 6000 goes to a relay - then to a terminal strip and from there there is a wire going to the EQ and each of the 3 amps.

Am I missing anything.

Sounds right. Mine was slightly different..I also ran the relay and EQ to the dist blocks however, I ran both the EQ remote turn on and the relay remote turn on (30) straight to the first amp and then daisy chained the other 3 amps from there. Yours sounds cleaner!

Note that I also ran the constant and ground from the pigtail (on boat side harness) to the distro blocks as well.

Edited by NCSurfing