Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diacom Marine for ignition timing

following on to my recent escapades in getting my boat ready for summer, I have had time to intimately get to know my indmar 320.

Started with the usual oil & plug change, only to find a milkshake instead of oil. - Great, off come the risers as my start point.

Risers are knackered (can't be machined) - so I head down to the local 'bu dealer to see how much it'l hurt. We'll while im there i get a price on a new set of the 1 piece risers (monsoon) and figure in for a penny...

Pull the trigger on some new risers and get back to work addressing the chocolaty goodness awaiting me in the sump.

Valley cover off and check all the gaskets, a bit of corrosion and some nasty blowouts in the inlet gasket - (at least i've found the issue Im thinking)

Now before I removed the dizzy I clearly marked 2 lines in a white paint pen to mark its position.

Inadvertently, when giving the valley cover a kero bath @ the dealers, the marks wash off (at this stage i didnt know)

put everything back together with the new risers and figure well at least i can only be 180deg out with the dizzy. Messed around with the dizzy around what was very close to original position and she's not even close to starting. I turn the dizzy counter clockwise (advance?) and fires up and runs smoothly. (i figure i've missed a tooth)

I cant see how id miss a tooth when the motor wasn't cranked without the distributor in, but either way my issue now i believe is that i have no idea what the baseline timing is. From what I can gather is that i need the diacom marine software to set the timing as per the indmar ignition pdf.

High Voltage Switch (HVS) Distributor Systems
1. Distributor Adjustment on 5.7L & 383 w/ HVS Distributor & MEFI 5, 5A, 5B ECM

1. Start the Engine

2. Connect Diacom and establish communication with the ECM

3. Raise the Engine speed to 1200 RPM

4. Turn the Distributor to adjust the Cam Angle to 705o ±5o

5. Tighten down distributor hold down clamp 6. Shut Down then Restart the Engine, then Raise Engine speed to 1200 RPM and Verify distributor adjustment

Does anyone have a link to a copy floating around or a alternative workaround to blowing $500 for what will potentially be a 1 time use.

cheers

icbw but i think the only thing that the diacom provides is 'service mode', raising the rpm and, perhaps, bypassing some of the electronic rpm adjusts.

you can manually create that 'service mode' condition w a jumper that was likely provided when the boat was new.

edited to add:

i'll take a look and see if i can find which pins to jump on the aldl connector.

search this document (provided by bakes) for "shunt".

Edited by tvano

jumping out terminal A & B of the ALDC with a paper clip while the engine is running will give you service mode (1000 rpm and 0 spark advance) for timing.

jumping out terminal A & B of the ALDC with a paper clip while the engine is running will give you service mode (1000 rpm and 0 spark advance) for timing.

I know this works on earlier MEFIs, but don't know about an MEFI 5.

Inadvertently, when giving the valley cover a kero bath @ the dealers, the marks wash off

Don't feel bad about the marks washing off, you would have had to put a timing light on it, in service mode, anyway. You could have got the timing close, but not exactly where it should be.