Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 20 VTX Slalom Wake

Jazzam

Looking at upgrading to a 2016 (possibly 2017) Wakesetter 20 VTX in the next 12-18 months.

Currently i own a 13 Response TXI which has been a great boat however i like the idea the wrap around seating for the family and being able to surf it without having to load it up with fat sacks would be nice.

i really need some feedback on what people think about the slalom wake at 32-36mph and 15-28off (at the higher speeds). As i cant seem to find any demo models around were i am located it will be more difficult to run some test passes unless i am willing to travel, which i will if people give a rough indication that its not to far off a Response TXI.

I have a friend with a 2010 VTX with the Diamond Hull. It's a great recreational slalom boat, the best v-drive I've personally ever slalomed behind. That being said your test criteria / expectations are for that of a purpose built tournament slalom boat and as such I think you'll be disappointed. My brother in law is a tournament skier, owns a Response LXI and while he'll ski the VTX he only open water skis it and comments on it's lack of true tournament level qualities. To be sure the VTX is a great recreational skier but once you start looking for wake qualities at 15 - 28 off you have the wrong boat, at least IMO.

The VTX to my knowledge is not tournament rated in any configuration. The only v-drive I'm aware of that is would be the 2010 200 Sport Nautique and I only know that because I was looking at one a couple years ago. Really nice boat. Not sure if any since then have been.

We have found the wake on our 2011 VTX to be only ok. For freeskiing its great, but as soon as we started getting into course skiing, we almost immediately started looking for a dedicated slalom boat. For our family's needs (we have 4 kids) the VTX is great, but you still have to weight it pretty good to get a good surf wake out of it, the nice thing though, those extra bags fit under the seats.

I think there were some changes made to the VTX for 2016, not sure how that changed the slalom wake though, but there are a few folks that have tried it. i would think though that coming out of a TXI you will be disappointed. just my .02

If your upgrade time frame is 12-18 months I think you have time to wait and see if a VTX demo becomes available closer to you. I seriously would not consider such a drastic hull change with out testing it first.

Wake quality is so opinionated you will get all sorts of different answers to your question (at least you gave line length and speed to narrow things down).

I made the LXI vs VTX comparison back around 2011/2012 since I was considering a change. With out skiing it the slalom capability is a total guess for you as an individual (skill level and use will be subconscious parts of your evaluation of the wake).

Looking at the videos on the new VTX, the spray is horrendous. It's worse than its predecessor. If it's perceptible or an issue at less than 60 feet of rope would require a test ride.

Regarding tournament certification, the VTX got a class-C rating one year.

2016 is a completely different hull than previous years. Boat looks like a baby whale now.

VTX was tournament rated in 2008, but again that only really says anything about the 2015 and older diamond hull boats.

Edited by oldjeep

Not much info out there about 2016 VTX hull because so new but I went and looked at one and have a hard time buying that hull can ski as well as its predecessor . I have a 2014 VTX diamond hull (with a center pylon) and while it is a great multi sport boat it is not a course boat.

ahopkins22LSV

Talk to ahopkins (he is in the same "boat" as you, I believe, and might have tried a 16 VTX). Here is a thread about skiing at those speeds/line lengths behind a 2014 VTX. Don't know about the 16/17s.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/topic/57598-rope-length-behind-14-vtx/

I still haven't been behind a 16. Hopefully this spring so I can finish a full comparison between the two VTX gens and our TXi.

To the OP, that said I think you could still ski the course, at least in comparison to the first gen, but it won't be your TXi. I still struggle to get over that. Our TXi wakes are just so good at every line length and speed, I just don't think I am ready to give that up. Especially if I keep progressing as I have the past two years. That may change when little ahopkinsTXi's come around. Time will tell.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

As mentioned previously there are a lot of variables, but my '12 Diamond hull VTX with the bow ballast half full has a softer wake than my old Echelon did. But I mostly surf now and it is good for that too.

thanks for all the info!

i will try and have a crack if i can find one local however it sounds like i will be sticking with the Txi.

Not really that keen to move away from Malibu however does anyone have any feedback on Nautique or Mastercraft's offerings?

ahopkins22LSV

Mastercraft doesn't really have a cross over imo. The x14 is weak at best in all areas except maybe having the best seating available for a direct drive. The x20 is not a crossover regardless of what they say. The Nautique 200 v will probably feel smaller inside than your TXi. It probably skis a bit better than the vtx but will not surf or wakeboard even close to the same level. And I don't think you can get their surf system on it.

Fwiw, when i was deciding on a boat the feedback I got on the sport 200 was that the wake was worse than a vtx. Never skied one myself, so take it for what 3rd hand info is worth. Ultimately there dont seem to be many sport 200s around.

Edited by oldjeep
  • 6 years later...

@ahopkinsVTX @Jazzam This post was from a while ago but has anyone been able to get some experience behind the 2016/2017 VTX? We are considering upgrading from our 1999 Sunsetter VLX to a 2017 VTX. Looking for some insight, thanks!

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, varner said:

@ahopkinsVTX @Jazzam This post was from a while ago but has anyone been able to get some experience behind the 2016/2017 VTX? We are considering upgrading from our 1999 Sunsetter VLX to a 2017 VTX. Looking for some insight, thanks!

I demo’d a 2017 for a weekend and owned a 2019. They were the same except for the GM engine and power wedge iii on the 2019. Here is my review:

@varner I had a ‘13 VTX and went back to a 2004 LSV, which I believe has the same hull as yours. The slalom wake on the LSV is noticeably better than my old VTX. I’m also not sure about the years, but the VTX with a diamond hull was slalom friendly up to 2015, then there was a hull change to perform better for surfing, which made the slalom wakes less friendly. 

im not sure when the next hull change came in, but I think it was either ‘18 or ‘19 and the consensus seems to be that is the best VTX hull, i.e. skis and surfs really well. 

if you are looking for slalom wakes similar to your VLX, you might be a bit disappointed, but if you are steering toward surfing, having lots of awesome features (power wedge, automatic ballast, and surfgate) then the VTX would be awesome. 

Also, let me clarify. If we are talking about recreational slalom, you probably won’t notice a difference. If you are aggressively pulling through the wakes, you will notice a difference. 

FWIIW, I loved both boats, but they each have their advantages. 

good luck!!! 

We had a 2002 21' LSV Diamond Hull and it skied pretty well.  When we bought it new we compared it to the Master Craft v-drive and preferred the ski wake on the Malibu.  Nothing like a direct drive, but for open water and 28-32mph runs it served us well for nearly 20 years.  It surfed better then our friends 2001 wakesetter (non diamond hull) which we were both surprised about and for the wakeboarders from 18-21 we preferred its wake to the 2001 wakesetter.  Once you got over 21 the wakesetter was better for wakeboarding. 

We purchased a 2020 VTX last year and were initially not happy with the ski wake.  Compared to the 2002 LSV it was like hitting a wall even with just 3 of us in the boat (2 in the bow) but we typically ski at 15 off 29/30 mph.  Tried shorter rope lengths, going faster, etc. but still were unhappy until ahopkins suggested using the Wedge in Lift.  You get a warning on the screen, the boat steers kind of 'floaty', and the wake looks a little weird and frothy, BUT it is soft as can be.  I wouldn't take it through the slalom coarse like this, too hard to steer, but open water it works great and we are happy with the boat.  The coolest thing is being able to switch it up all day long from ski, to wakeboard, to surf.  It does everything good, not great, but good.  For our family the flexibility is amazing.  

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, rnowacki said:

We had a 2002 21' LSV Diamond Hull and it skied pretty well.  When we bought it new we compared it to the Master Craft v-drive and preferred the ski wake on the Malibu.  Nothing like a direct drive, but for open water and 28-32mph runs it served us well for nearly 20 years.  It surfed better then our friends 2001 wakesetter (non diamond hull) which we were both surprised about and for the wakeboarders from 18-21 we preferred its wake to the 2001 wakesetter.  Once you got over 21 the wakesetter was better for wakeboarding. 

We purchased a 2020 VTX last year and were initially not happy with the ski wake.  Compared to the 2002 LSV it was like hitting a wall even with just 3 of us in the boat (2 in the bow) but we typically ski at 15 off 29/30 mph.  Tried shorter rope lengths, going faster, etc. but still were unhappy until ahopkins suggested using the Wedge in Lift.  You get a warning on the screen, the boat steers kind of 'floaty', and the wake looks a little weird and frothy, BUT it is soft as can be.  I wouldn't take it through the slalom coarse like this, too hard to steer, but open water it works great and we are happy with the boat.  The coolest thing is being able to switch it up all day long from ski, to wakeboard, to surf.  It does everything good, not great, but good.  For our family the flexibility is amazing.  

I have been trying to find a good answer about the speed alarm for a long long time and I cannot find a clear one. What is the deal with the speed alarm and how many people are running their boats like this? Is it a concern of the wedge being subjected to too much force and ripping out?

Clearly enough people run it this way if its being recommended... is it not actually damaging to the boat? And if not, why does the speed alarm go off?

Is it only safe in lift mode and not in any mode generating downforce? Very confused about why people are ignoring this alarm that implies damage to your boat is imminent... because if it is in fact no big deal, I'd love to run it that way for slalom on our A20.

My guess is the impact on handling characteristics.  Mechanically the forces involved should be less (although in opposite directions) then when running the wedge in its normal range at wakeboard speeds.

I find that lift is great for skiing up to about 30 mph.  After that the handling gets pretty weird so we don't use it when going faster.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, rakr said:

@varner I had a ‘13 VTX and went back to a 2004 LSV, which I believe has the same hull as yours.

Yours is the SV23 Diamond.  His is the SV23 Wake hull.  Yours will ski a little better than his.

• 9 months later...

I'm looking at buying a 2017 VTX 20 to get the additional space (have a 185 searay sport now, fits 8 barely) and a good slalom wake for recreational, better than average skiing family.  But we only run 29-31 (kids even slower) mph at 15 off.  Am I going to be disappointed? If the answer is the VTX needs to run at least 34-35mph, maybe I just turn up the old searay and ski faster.  Even that boat flattens at that speed. And thats free.

On 4/21/2023 at 3:03 PM, LL778 said:

I'm looking at buying a 2017 VTX 20 to get the additional space (have a 185 searay sport now, fits 8 barely) and a good slalom wake for recreational, better than average skiing family.  But we only run 29-31 (kids even slower) mph at 15 off.  Am I going to be disappointed? If the answer is the VTX needs to run at least 34-35mph, maybe I just turn up the old searay and ski faster.  Even that boat flattens at that speed. And thats free.

Mine is the earlier boat (pre2016) and it is decent at 30-32.  The big thing you will notice at that speed is that you won't pull the boat sideways like you would with the I/O

@LL778 if your only concern is the ski wake, I’m not sure I’d go with a VTX. If you want to be able to surf and ski and have a nice interior layout, then the VTX is an awesome choice. 

if you want a really nice ski wake at slower speeds, look for a direct drive, I.e. response. That will without a doubt provide a better wake than your I/O at almost every speed.