Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another what's it worth thread - 2000VLX

hethj7

We're still probably a year out from doing anything realistically, but the boat shows have us thinking hard about doing something earlier. What's the crew say about the value?

2000 Wakesetter VLX

~980 hours
Indoor Monsoon 325HP
Perfect Pass Stargazer
Bimini
New Mastercraft Vinyl installed in 2014 through entire boat
Dorsey Tandem Axle trailer - New tires and completely re-wired in 2015
Custom Evolution Sunbrella cover - brand new in 2015
Factory MLS ballast - I think it was 500 lbs that year, in the ski locker
4 pop up cleats
Sony head unit with Bluetooth
3 zone controls for stereo for separate volume for cabin, towers, and subwoofer
3 - JL amps, 10" JL sub, Polk cabin speakers, 8" tower speakers
No wedge, since that question will be asked
Fluids and impeller changed annually. Still runs like a top.
2000VLXside_zpscj2bcuyy.jpg
2000VLXtowed_zps0ne912k8.jpg
2000VLXoverview_zpsncw5hcna.jpg
2000VLXnewvinyl1_zpspofag1nv.jpg
2000VLXnewvinyldriverseat_zpsr69be5aj.jp
2000VLXlift_zpslcth8tom.jpg
Edited by hethj7

Exactly the same as my 04DD Ill trade you even.

About 20K depending on market.

If you were local I would trade you if my dealer would give me about the same trade in value on yours as he would on mine.

2000VLXnewvinyl1_zpspofag1nv.jpg

Your boat is beautiful, especially the interior. I did notice the staples, though, on the seat back above. I'd have that redone, and make it so those are not visible.

Just a suggestion. It's otherwise looks incredible.

Man, sore subject. I noticed those staples when we first got the boat back and debated how much of a stink to make over it. I'm not going to be able to get them replaced a year after the fact now - I'm wondering if they should have just wrapped that further down the seat back before stapling or if that gap between the top and seat back is a little wide.

Man, sore subject. I noticed those staples when we first got the boat back and debated how much of a stink to make over it. I'm not going to be able to get them replaced a year after the fact now - I'm wondering if they should have just wrapped that further down the seat back before stapling or if that gap between the top and seat back is a little wide.

Oops, sorry!

The one issue with the staples isn't a huge deal. Overall it looks great. You could get one of the black strips like is used under the other cushions to hide the staples.

As for value I'd say no less than 20 for any vdrive in good shape. 20-23 would be the range.

Am I reading right that there's no wedge and no rear ballast?

I think that one of these boats in great shape with tower/wedge/automated ballast/speed control is worth $21-25K in the spring in my area. Deduct for stuff it doesn't have, deduct for urgency (how quickly do you need to sell?). The "high" hours are definitely going to be a turnoff for a lot of people (rightly or wrongly).

I'd think if you priced it at 21K it'd sell pretty quickly. Price it at 25 and you may be waiting a while. But maybe not... really depends on what else is available at the time too. Well kept vdrives in the $20K range aren't getting any more plentiful.

I sold my 2000 vlx just like yours almost 3 years ago now for 23,500. It was in immaculate condition for a 2000 and only had 300 hrs on it . I had upgraded the ballast, new decals, new fiberglass swim deck, wetsounds towers speakers, etc. I think youre probably in that 19-22k range.

Oops, sorry!

I saw the same staple line in the pictures, but was afraid to bring it up! I glad some else did. That would drive me nuts as the owner, but I don't know how much it affects the sale of the boat? However, if there were away to improve that problem now, I would pursue it. Fixing it now just takes it out of the conversation as you show the boat to potential buyers. Your trying to show off the nice new vinyl, you don't want that workmanship issue ruining the conversation.

• Like 2

Yup, that back side should be stapled about 6 inches lower and below the brace that runs across there. At least he kept it a straight line, shouldn't be hard to cover up, maybe see if he can give you about 8' of the grey staple hider stuff.

Am I reading right that there's no wedge and no rear ballast?

I think that one of these boats in great shape with tower/wedge/automated ballast/speed control is worth $21-25K in the spring in my area. Deduct for stuff it doesn't have, deduct for urgency (how quickly do you need to sell?). The "high" hours are definitely going to be a turnoff for a lot of people (rightly or wrongly).

I'd think if you priced it at 21K it'd sell pretty quickly. Price it at 25 and you may be waiting a while. But maybe not... really depends on what else is available at the time too. Well kept vdrives in the $20K range aren't getting any more plentiful.

Yup, no wedge and no integrated ballast. I run sacks in the rear lockers, but they are manual fill. This year's project was going to be to integrate the ballast, but the wife finally said no more spending on this ride and let's just plan the upgrade :)

The previous owner had sacks "integrated" and the fill pump (which teed off to the two sacks) and wiring is still back there, but they used cheap sacks that ended up splitting and all switches were under the rear hatch, not at the dash. So, less than ideal. I guess I could advertise rear ballast and sell the sacks with it, but just not state it is integrated. Come to think of it, I have the fill pump, 2 drain pumps, and the sacks. I'd just have to clean up the wiring to get everything re-installed. We'll see how motivated I get this spring. Quite frankly, most of my actual riding is done behind a friend's boat right now and my boat is the family cruiser or has the easy-ski out the back for the kids.

• Like 2

Leaning 23LSV heavily - still probably at the end of the year though. I would probably be happy with the T23, but my wife really likes the Malibu styling and having PW2 and the new helm would be nice. No offense to Axis owners as I really see a lot of value in them and would certainly rock one, but that dash is hard to get over when it seems like everything else on the market, including the Mojo, does the dash better.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2016 at 9:01 PM, hethj7 said:

Leaning 23LSV heavily - still probably at the end of the year though. I would probably be happy with the T23, but my wife really likes the Malibu styling and having PW2 and the new helm would be nice. No offense to Axis owners as I really see a lot of value in them and would certainly rock one, but that dash is hard to get over when it seems like everything else on the market, including the Mojo, does the dash better.

Can you deliver your boat to Wisconsin? ;)

10 hours ago, Arick said:

Tried to PM you, says you cannot receive messages.  Inbox full?>

Try again.   Got them cleared out.  I had no idea my box was that full.    

Like others said, no less than 20. That is a beauty. Ask 24, maybe even 25, then negotiate. Make the buyer feel like they got a great deal, and I'm sure they will !

Steve B.