Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

which wetsounds? Rev8, 10 or these?

triscadek

Tax time is rolling around and the ole lady is on the fence for buying some Wetsounds to replace my current cheap 8" MCM Audio Towers. I Want a full set of 4 to keep my tower full. Debating on the Rev 8, Rev 10 or the REV 410Bs? Id like to stay under $1,600-1,800 as I have a couple good size interior flaws that need addressed and a new prop is going to be on the list.

I know anything will be better than these I have currently. I have a 1,000.4 watts running up the tower currently. Id like some bass back on the wakeboard. I currently have two 12s in the cabin accompanied by eight 6.5 polks. Suggestions? Also, any other brands that are similar in performance yet cheaper on the pocket book?

Here are the 410s I was contemplating. I dont care much for their looks compared to the Rev8/10s but If theyre worth it Ill consider them more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wet-Sounds-REV410B-FC-10-Revolution-Series-Marine-Tower-Speaker-Fixed-Mount-New-/131552889710?hash=item1ea129cb6e:g:2jAAAOSwgQ9Vna-F

What amplifier do you have? Best option for all around is Rev10's on a Syn4 or two pair on a SD. 410's are awesome also taking more room. Rev8's make you wish you bought the Tens...

Edited by Truekaotik
I have a 1,000.4 watts running up the tower currently.

Whats the make and model?

I Want a full set of 4 to keep my tower full. Debating on the Rev 8, Rev 10 or the REV 410Bs? Id like to stay under $1,600-1,800

Not factoring any discounts, you are looking at $2100 for 2 pair of Rev-8 w/fixed clamps. So right there, you would be at the upper end of your budget. Also not, that ebay link to the Rev-410 from a non-authorized dealer, is just for one. So even there, you would be @ $2400 for a pair. Thats retail from a non-authorized dealer, I bet you could get a discount from an authorized dealer, one that will support your through the install.

So, besides 4 pods, what are your listening goals? Primarily wake boarding, surf/party cove or best volume and sound quality for both?

You wont get any bass at 80ft and mid-bass is going to be a stretch. Based on what you are saying, I think a pair of Rev-410 is going to be what you are after. Could likely bridge them on the chnl amp you have, but really need to know what it is first.

Guys Im pretty sure its a Boss Marine amp. I bought two of them if I recall, one for the cabin and one for the tower and a Fosgate for my two 12" Polk subs. I bought her last year and had to completely start over with the stereo. All the way. With that being said I had a budget for that, knew what I wanted and where and also needed all the gear for the boat itself. The stereo as a whole sounds pretty damn impressive for what it is (cheap) and what we do. I have 8 Polk audio 6.5s, 6 behind the windshield and 2 in front. The tower speakers could use a little love though I feel. Dont get me wrong, Id love nothing more than to go with a full equalizer, amps, cabin speakers, towers and subs, however the funds just arent there and I like having both of my kidneys. I can do some this year and some next. Im trying to work in Perfect Pass this year also but we do pretty well with GPS.

I can grow the budget a tad if need be. What is the difference between an authorized dealer vs non authorized? phony knock offs?

As far as what Im wanting is just a fuller, clearer sound back on the wakeboard and overall it to be loud as hell and obnoxius if I so choose to drown out somebodys Backstreet Boys. Surfboard isnt bad being that youre so close but these cheap MCMs have a lot of high to them back 70' on a ride. You can tell what the song is and get into it but you cant fully enjoy the song.

We do the party cove thing also but Ill say that I dont think we really hit party cove last year with me having my son every weekend. We all just rode and chilled by our lonesome or with family. This year may have more party cove as I have him during the week now and trade weekends. As much as I enjoy it for a bit Id rather get out and ride, cruise the lake or just sit in peace than have a bunch of drunks twerking to the nae nae song or trying to figure out what the fox says.

Get the perfect pass and start surfin' close to the boat. You can hear everything just fine :surfing:

PP is the great because it instantly makes everyone a better driver - for when you're out in back on whatever it is you're riding.

PP is the great because it instantly makes everyone a better driver - for when you're out in back on whatever it is you're riding.

I agree, Perfect Pass is much more important than speakers. Not only does it make everyone a better driver, it makes driving fun. No more staring at the speed or concentrating on engine rpm, just steer the boat.

Guys Im pretty sure its a Boss Marine amp

Likely its RMS is half of whats its peak (advertised) wattage is. So roughly 250W x 2. No matter which route you go, I would factor in a new amp.

I can grow the budget a tad if need be. What is the difference between an authorized dealer vs non authorized? phony knock offs

Technically, no factory support or warranty. Think of it as buying a new item 2nd hand. Besides, I doubt that seller knows what they really have.

Stick with an HLCD like the Rev series for the most efficient way to project wake range music.

I'm probably going to get PP regardless. Shhhh.?

It's 1000.4 but I bridged them. The harness I bought to run up only had enough (after my tower light bars) to wire each side as a pair. The speakers up there now are 300peak and I "should" be sending 250 to each speaker which I know I'm not, but they distort when I turn them up very very loud so I know they're getting decent power. I'll try them with what I have and if they let me down or I feel they could be better I'll upgrade the amp. No sense in dropping $600 blindly.

HLCD, can you help me out with that? And would a set Rev10s be my best bet or the Rev410s? What's the real difference other than the horns in the center and they angle out...?

EDIT: is there a way to measure output to the speakers? Also, how much would a equalizer help and how would it help?

Edited by triscadek
The speakers up there now are 300peak and I "should" be sending 250 to each speaker which I know I'm not, but they distort when I turn them up very very loud so I know they're getting decent power.

There can be other factors that cause speaker distortion, before over powering them, Such as running on full-pass. Or, bridging a 2 ohm load on an amp that cant handle it.

I'll try them with what I have and if they let me down or I feel they could be better I'll upgrade the amp. No sense in dropping $600 blindly

Nothing blindly here going on. Theres nothing about that amp thats going to make your future $2000 or more tower speaker investment, sound good and perform to their potential. Just for starters, lets put wattage and sound quality aside. IIRC, that boss amp has a fixed hi-pass @ 200hz. Pretty much defeats the goal of wanting more bass from a larger speaker.

And would a set Rev10s be my best bet or the Rev410s? What's the real difference other than the horns in the center and they angle out...?
HLCD, can you help me out with that?

Horn Loaded Compression Driver. Basically, a supercharged speaker tweeter that has lots of output and handles lots of power. HLCD is to a riffle as a coaxial tweeter is to a shotgun.

4 rev-10 would have more peak output (volume) but 2 rev-410 is going to have better sound quality. With a tower bar thats more straight across, id do two rev-410 over 4 rev-10. When you factor in the amp, the twin 410 setup can be the less expensive option.

EDIT: is there a way to measure output to the speakers? Also, how much would a equalizer help and how would it help?

Yes, there is.

Depends on the EQ. A basic EQ can allow for fine tuning how the speakers sounds. A marine specific EQ will allow for independent adjustments to the tower speakers and in-boats. An automotive based EQ makes changes to both its front and rear outputs, so what ever changes you make to a large tower speaker, you also make to a smaller in-boat speaker.

Edited by MLA

Do a pair of rev10's and a Syn4 amp, you want to do other things and this wil be a huge increase over your current set up. I say this because you need a new amplifier for the towers and the other options wil put you over double your max price. This is a great set up coming from 6.5" coax cans...

Now if you want to spend some more do 410's on the tower.

Edited by Truekaotik

MLA, I may have to be giving you a phone call lol. Not sure what the 200hz do.

So you're saying two Rev10s will sound better that four Rev10s?

I'm thinking about the 410s because I found them on car toys website for the same as Rev10s. But, I like the way the Rev10s look vs those awkward 410s. I do think that the 410s would have better performance. I can do a different amp but it's not coming out of taxes. I'll have to wait a month or two. Towers, a PP And the rear seat being fixed are my main goal.

A single 410 will retail for the Same as a pair of rev10's. Remember these are single 410 compared to two rev10's. If they have them as a pair for the same price I would be hesitant..

MLA, I may have to be giving you a phone call lol. Not sure what the 200hz do.

So you're saying two Rev10s will sound better that four Rev10s?

I'm thinking about the 410s because I found them on car toys website for the same as Rev10s. But, I like the way the Rev10s look vs those awkward 410s. I do think that the 410s would have better performance. I can do a different amp but it's not coming out of taxes. I'll have to wait a month or two. Towers, a PP And the rear seat being fixed are my main goal.

Oops sorry for the typo, left the "4" out.

Thats a frequency that would be played by the speaker. That amps is going to cut out a good portion of the very mid-bass you are seeking.

Yes, a Rev-410 should retail at about what a pair of Rev-10, so two 410's will cost about the same as two pair of rev-10's. So the difference can come down to the amp choice. A Syn-4 is a solid choice for 2 Rev-410 where as the SD-2 is the better choice for two pair of Rev-10. Thats a $400 or so price difference if your tower will fit the Rev-410.

So am I wrong in thinking that if I order Rev10s from car toys (authorized dealer) for $1,099 that I'm only getting one speaker? Vs getting a 410 for $1,099 which is (obviously) a solid unit containing two 10s and a horn? So the way I'm seeing it, two 410s would be $2,200 and 2 PAIR (4 speakers total) of Rev10s would be $2200 also... I can only assume that if I order the Rev10 for $1099 that I'm getting two speakers and that they come as a pair...?

EDIT: never mind, I read wrong.

So it sounds like the two 410s are the way to go? Basically still getting four 10s and adding two horns? Vs the rev10s only getting four 10s...

Edited by triscadek

My personal preferred listening on a car stereo based on a low, mid and high EQ from a stock stereo from let's say a Dodge Charger with a stereo that produced good bass having 8"s in the front doors (company car I've had). Let's say the EQ was from -10 to +10 I'd have the low at +4 or 5, the mid at -3 and the high at +9

So am I wrong in thinking that if I order Rev10s from car toys (authorized dealer) for $1,099 that I'm only getting one speaker? Vs getting a 410 for $1,099 which is (obviously) a solid unit containing two 10s and a horn? So the way I'm seeing it, two 410s would be $2,200 and 2 PAIR (4 speakers total) of Rev10s would be $2200 also... I can only assume that if I order the Rev10 for $1099 that I'm getting two speakers and that they come as a pair...?

So it sounds like the two 410s are the way to go? Basically still getting four 10s and adding two horns? Vs the rev10s only getting four 10s...

If you want another opinion, I would contact jonyb here on the forum - he is an authorized wet sounds dealer and knows this equipment incredibly well. The minor difference in sound quality wouldn't be my concern rather the ergonomic factor. IMO, those 410s are clunky looking and will eat up more headroom. Edited by NCSurfing

The rev10's have a compression driver in each housing, through the center of the mid bass woofer. so you go from 4 to two horns actually. Although on the 410's you will have better mid bass a pair of rev10's will be louder due to more power.

Best of both worlds is to run a SD6 in 3 channel and run a pair of rev10's and a single 410.

Edited by Truekaotik

Hmmm. As far as head room on the tower, I'm screwed as it is. At this point I'm just going for whichever would be better.

I guess I need a lesson in Audio. I'm not sure what a compression driver is or does lol

Edited by triscadek

Another idea would maybe be to go with two Rev10s, and two 8s? Or a 410 and some 10s?

Or 10s and a pair of tower subs? Do they even have those? I did a quick search and came up with nothing. Ideas?

Yes, the Rev-10 is sold as a pair and the 410 is a sold as a single. In the end 2 pair (four) rev-10 and a pair (two) rev-410 cost the same retail. You are getting four 10" mib-bass drivers with both setups, the difference is the four rev-10 are going to be louder due to the four compression drivers and the two rev-410 is going to have a little better bass and sound sound quality, but will still project to wake range.

I would suggest you start with a local Wet Sounds dealer. Go in and talk with them about what s been kicked around here and get their input as well. If you do not have a local dealer and need to order and have the gear shipped, I suggest an authorized online dealer like Earmark Marine. They have been a long time TMC supporter and have the most in depth product and marine installation knowledge you will find. I believe they even offer a crew discount.

As far as head room goes, the hand height on the rev-10 and rev-410 are about the same. Two 410 are going to need about 58" of tower width. Two pair of rev-10 are going to need about 44" of width with minimal space between them.

Awesome, thank you. I have whatever tower is in my profile pic. I think I have enough room for either.

We have a local dealer here but they are a tad inflated and kind of tooly. I was in there last summer just kinda poking around and didn't stay long. Il go back in and see what they have to say.

Edited by triscadek

Another idea would maybe be to go with two Rev10s, and two 8s? Or a 410 and some 10s?

Or 10s and a pair of tower subs? Do they even have those? I did a quick search and came up with nothing. Ideas?

The Rev 3-some with a SD6 sounds like your cup of tea then. It surpasses 4 rev10's on a SD2, or two 410's on a syn4 in many aspects. At this time they do not offer a woofer for the tower.

triscadek,

You mentioned subs on the tower. There is a reason that product is not available and won't ever be a reality. The subwoofer pod would have to be way too rigid and heavy to be mounted on a tower. And way too large. And it still wouldn't project deep bass because of being elevated so high up and away from any reinforcing planes, like for instance, the interior surfaces of the boat, or bath tub so to speak.

Quote, "I'm not sure what a compression driver is or does."

HLCD = Horn Loaded Compression Driver = a Horn Tweeter. Versus the exposed dome or cone of a conventional tweeter.

An HLCD uses an oversized diaphragm (dome) that loads into a small compression chamber. This chamber is connected to the small throat of a horn flare via a phase plug which is just a device that serves to make sure that all parts of the radiation from the large tweeter diaphragm pass through into the horn 'in phase' (at the same time). The compression driver portion creates very high pressure, perhaps 5 to 1 or even greater, than that of a conventional tweeter. Then the horn functions as a transformer of sorts which converts the small displacement/ high pressure at the throat of the horn to the large displacement/ low pressure emitting from the mouth of the horn. Why all this mechanism versus a conventional tweeter? Because an HLCD can deliver 10 times the acoustic power, or 10 dB more output, versus a conventional tweeter. And you need that if you expect to project sound with a good degree of intelligibility at 70/80 feet and in competition with noise.

More about a horn tweeter....