Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spend my money for me! Wakesurf Board Advice Needed...

95echelon

Ok so I am asking a lot here but I will give info on what I am looking for and what I have:

Setup Now is a 2005 VLX with full factory ballast and manual wedge. Average load is 3 adults, 3 kids under 12. I will buy a surfgate knockoff this spring and also at the very least do some lead in the bow and twin 750's in the back. So lets call it 3000 pounds ballast plus people.

My crew:

I am 6'2" and 215 pounds

Wife is 5'3" and 115ish

Kids are 70 pounds or less

My experience:

I have never wakesurfed before, but can invert on a wakeboard, and have good balance and control on the water. I will advance skills quickly.

Kids and wife are total noobies

Any friends will be total noobs

My goal:

Purchase 2-3 wakesurf boards. One for me, one for friends/wife, one for kids.

Maybe a drew danielo carbon for me? I am lost on lengths. Maybe a phase 5 scamp for the kids? Maybe something big and cheap for newbies?

Let the recommendations fly. I would love to spend under $400 per board as I promised the wife to finish the basement this spring :Frustrated:, but I could do 600 on mine.

Also there is a guy near me selling a Phase 5 Prop that is 54", would that be good?

The prop would be a good boat board. Danielo is a good board, it is fast, cuts loose easily and will allow you to progress. I would look at the diamond at your weight. I normally weigh 215-220 during summer months and I tend to ride boards that will carry up to 230-250 and they are great. Kids up to 80 maybe 90 can ride the scamp, my 8 yo does and finds it easy to ride. After the scamp they can love to the prop or you will probably buy them better boards by then. Good luck!

Edited by BamaLSV

i would first check sites like Boardco, The House, etc.. right now for deals on last years boards. The Hyperlite Shim is an awesome board and price point for newbies, ladies, and you. Its a surf not skim set up therefore more stable for newbies. Under the feet of an intermediate to advanced it charges and is very responsive to airs and spins. You mentioned spending more dinero on your board, I would advise you to INSTEAD style out the LADIES on your boat with an Inland Surfer Caro Pro Model. Out of the box it is a single fin skim, yet the board has room for three. Adding those extra fins turns it into more of a surf style therefore more forgiving by speeding the board up helping to surf further back and recover forward. The Caro is also a great board with those extra fins for kids due to the size, before mentioned forgiveness and stability.

Keep in mind also those fins can be removed to create a skim that has killed it in competitions for years. Keeping the ladies happy and well equipped can extend the day, season, and help any future investements/ upgrades.(hint,hint) The majority of my boards are Inland Surfer and yes they are pricey but yessssss also to the performance. I'm 5'9" 210lbs and love ripping on the smaller Walker Pro Model aka Flyboy. Speed, Spins, Airs and Transfers incredibly beneath your feet. Another board for Beginners and the Tall and Bodacious is the Inland Swallowtail. Best of shopping to ya, remember sooner is better than later as far as deals go. Cheers Alpen :rockon:

• Like 2

I'd say try and find some used equipment , broadcast, tsunami middle of the road boards on the cheapto start , and try to demo /borrow different kinds of boards. Get your feet wet without dropping $1200 on boards. Also chances are you will be spending more money on the boat trying to tweak and max out the wave to your liking.

I went from a hyperlite kona, powertail, carbon skimmer, carbon thruster, and now soulcraft HC pro. If I had to do it all over again I would have cut out the 3 ronix boards and jumped to the soulcraft. Problem is, that it's a tough pill to swallow out of the gate and drop 800-900 for a custom board.

• Like 2

Alpen, thanks for the recommendations!

I'm shopping too and it's really hard to find good advice online. We all started surfing last Summer and got an entry level CWB Ride 5'3". Daughter #1 (125#) took off fast and can do good cuts with a little air. No spins yet but close. Maybe CWB board not adequate? I'm (155#) and a bit behind her but can ride close and back on the wave and do some cuts trough to peak. Daughter #2 (115#) is just able to let go of the rope and stay with the boat. Son-in-law #1 (230#) falls back and loses the wave right away after letting go. SIL #2 (200#) doesn't snow or water ski like the rest of us so is struggling to just get up.

I don't want to buy 4 or 5 boards. Thinking of getting the Caro Pro for the 3 of us that are progressing. Would it be OK for my weight? If not is there another board that I could progress with?

What to do about the big boys? I wish Boardco had a weight selection in its filter.

We've got a 21.5 LSV with 1500# in the lockers, wedge, and @600 in the bow. Added surf gates last month but can't use until spring :)

• Like 1

Minnmarker, the Caro Pro with extra fins will cover the spectrum of your girls and allow them do both surf and skim tricks at many levels. The Inland Swallowtail is the way to go with Big Boys, I have a buddy 250# that rips it. Again you can add fins and make it a quad fin and speed it up. I keep a bag of smaller fins for my inlands it only takes 2 minutes to add or lessen speed and stability. The Inland website has all your weight info. If you have questions for Boardco ask for Mitch, he is happy to help with advice on all Boards. Caitlyn at inland has been stellar assisting me directly. Added fins to the Swallowtail were the "Winstons". Added fins to the Caro are "S type" and "Delta". Some folks like to have Inland's plugs in place of empty fin slots, I have had no issues without. I have a 23LSV with 1650# in rear lockers, 600 in bow, power wedge 2, and gates. My off season addition to boat is a Fresh Air Exhaust, if you are surfing a lot it is worth its weight in gold! :cheers:

ps when your done with CWB then I say Inland Flyboy. The three boards most used on my boat. Caro (all ladies) Swallowtail ( Big,Tall,Short,Bodacious) Flyboy .

Edited by alpensurf23

ps when your done with CWB then I say Inland Flyboy.

Alpen, you have faith in my future progress! Boardco says the Flyboy has the most aggressive fin set in wake surfing - whatever that means - and is pro level.

What about the Hyperlight Shim you mentioned earlier - in the 55" size? Maybe a good step for the girls and I on the way to competition level boards? If I buy the Caro Pro for them that's all their B'Day money and more.

For the big guys - and friends new to surfing - durability is a must. Are there differences between the different construction types? A board flying into the transom or getting stepped on on the floor or swim platform has been know to happen :whistle:

• Like 1

If I could only introduce you to the two handfuls of people, I have taught first time out on the flyboy. It is an advanced twinzer (4 fins) but as you will find you coach others best when they are riding something which you are familiar no matter what it is. And yes I surfed the pink Caro . I recommend the 4'7" shim for your and girls sizes. Inlands are said to be fragile or less durable, I think thats from those that don't believe in board bags to protect their investment. My friend is over 250# after surfing my swallowtail a lot he bought his own and is spinning, airs, and transfers with ease and with plenty of wake. I am 210# and surf the small Flyboy hard. 350 hrs on just my boat, no issues with any Inland . All my boards have a board bag. If you don't plan on a bag expect a short board life. There are different constructions, classic construction most similar to what you find in classic ocean boards, ultra light construction typically brings carbon fiber into the mix, the lighter the board typically the more delicate but higher performance. If you buy last years 4'7" Shim you should have plenty for a board bag to go with it and still save. They sell these really nice transom pads on this site if you typically get torpedo'd by newbies. This captain says no to deck starts therefore no reason to step on a board on transom. As for in the boat, that is what board racks are for. If a board doesn't fit , its in a bag or a sock and in the bow while we surf out of harms way. I like the Biminis with board straps you can typically fit the bigger longer boards there. :surfing:

Edited by alpensurf23

Good call on scamp and don't be surprised when the kids start ripping on the caro, remember to purchase the extra S- Type fins with Caro. You may also consider that Shim 4'7" been seeing great deals on last years model. Most important buy board bags. Enjoy!

Edited by alpensurf23

Good call on scamp and don't be surprised when the kids start ripping on the caro, remember to purchase the extra S- Type fins with Caro. You may also consider that Shim 4'7" been seeing great deals on last years model. Most important buy board bags. Enjoy!

Couple questions: I hit up the local Tommy's and there was a super helpful kid named Cam there that helped me. He reccomended scamp for kids, this for me and the wifey to learn on: https://www.ambushboardco.com/slingshot-2015-alien-twister-wakesurfer

And then a Phase 5 Hammerhead for me once I get the hang of it. Now a store will always reccomend what they stock, but are those way off base? I like to support local when it makes sense, but I did buy a bunch of ski's and gear there, and will buy the scamp there, so i am fine grabbing the Caro too (online - they dont carry it)

Last question: do I need board bags even if I live on the lake?

Edited by 95echelon

95 that board looks sweet, definite surf style, the quad fin will give the board speed and allow you more wake to play with. Props to supporting your local businesses as well. I live where presently there is three feet snow out the cabin door and we average 500 inches a year. My closest wake surf shop is over an hour and a half away. My Bu dealer is three hours away. I try to order through my dealer as well and they ship it to me. Way to stoke the girls with the Caro don't forget to grab two exra S- Type fins for her. Board Bags are always a good idea for a couple reasons. One you have something to protect them when season over. Two its good protection for the board if your racks are full. Three, getting kids and friends in the habit of using when removing from boat or going out with someone else is a good habit and protects your investment.

I have a question similar enough that it doesn't warrant its own thread:

Does anyone have a board they'd recommend as an equal or parallel to the I.S. Blue Lake?

I think you could just get an interior closet door from Home Depot?

• Like 3

Red Owl check out the Hyperlite Quad, I demo'd a bunch of Hyperlite this past summer at a Demo Days. This board was very floaty and fun. I have a Blue Lake and found the float similar, it felt also a lil faster. I am 215#. I was blown away by the Hyperlite Shim and have a buddy that teaches Beginners on the smaller. I surfed that board just fine so I believe the larger version has to an option as well. My blue lake is gathering dust as many of the bigger fellas beginner and up have taken to the I.S. Swallowtail. Cheers Alpen :rockon:

I just listed my Broadcast in classifieds if you are interested. Everyone likes riding it. Video of my son riding it a few years ago when he was 13 or so behind my buddy's supra launch 22 (no ballast)...fast forward to 40 seconds in or so when he throws the rope in.

Edited by EchelonMike

I think you could just get an interior closet door from Home Depot?

Yet another moment where I'm awkwardly laughing in front of my computer and my wife just walks by and rolls her eyes...

:lol:

I recommend the 4'7" shim for your and girls sizes.

Just ordered the 2015 Hyperlight Shim 4'7" from sunandski.com for $375!

They have 1 or 2 left if anyone else wants a good deal.

Now to pick a board for the big guys.

• Like 1

If the girls are 5'6" and under, they would be much better on a board that is 46-49". The Caro is pretty long. It is the same as the old keenan.

Smaller boards give shorter and lighter riders more control and stability, plus they make it way easier to progress.