Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat insurance?

Dirtymax132

So my wife and I are just finishing up the details on ordering are 23lsv!!! So she called are insurance company today to get a quote, and holy s***. We were quoted 1200.00 a year. Does this seem right? Granite my dad's wakesetter is an 06, but he only pays 350.00 a year. My wife and I have a spotless driving/insurance record. We use safeco for are house and auto. Does anyone have any suggestions for good insurance companies? And does 1200.00 a year so high or is this accurate?

There are a bunch of threads on here discussing insurance; specifically premiums, restrictions (lay up period, area of operation, etc.), quality of handling claims, value of coverage (fixed vs. depreciating). Take a look at some of those threads and you'll get a bunch of useful information. The amount of experience you have with a boat, prior ownership, where you keep the boat, and where you live all impact the premium you will pay.

Seems very high to me. I use nationwide/allied for home/cars/boat and my boat policy is just over $400 a year with plenty of coverage, $1000 deductible and no layup period. Good things have been mentioned about ski safe bu I have no experience with them.

I've tried searching this forum for information about insurance but I only find stuff about claims people have filed. I like the sounds of ski safe.

I don't know how to do it but someone should make a pinned form on insurance

I did a little more digging and found the honey pot of info. I'm looking into ski safe, boatus, and global marine. For the looks of it and what other people are paying.I should be about half or a little more then my original quote. Thanks for the help

We use State Farm for our boat, along with house, life, and vehicles. Our A22 is just shy of $600 year. It is fully covered 12mo/year (no layup period) I have a $500 deductible.

Is it cheaper with a layup period?

We have our team boats insured through ski safe. There is a substantial discount for having a layup period. If a warm day comes up (or you need a boat for a winter tournament) while the boat is layed up you can just call them and they will cover it for a day or two while its out and email you the addendum. Outstanding service and competitive prices.

• Like 2

Congrats on the new boat.

The rate does sound high to me. I have Progressive, and would have to check, but I believe I pay less than $600 for two boats.

As others have said, check coverage and options. My Progressive policy has full replacement value for the first 5 years, then will go to an agreed upon value.

We have our team boats insured through ski safe. There is a substantial discount for having a layup period. If a warm day comes up (or you need a boat for a winter tournament) while the boat is layed up you can just call them and they will cover it for a day or two while its out and email you the addendum. Outstanding service and competitive prices.

How much do you get charged for these days? I went to year round last year and have only taken the boat out a couple times during what would have been the layup period. It wasn't too much more for year round but I'd rather not pay the extra if I don't have to.

I use State Farm for auto, home and a 2016 23lsv, and I pay just for the boat around $1100.00 a year with a $1000.00 deductible in Las Vegas. Makes me want to shop around.

I have Safeco with no layup & pay just over $600. Makes me wonder if they are pricing it high because they don't want you for some reason.

On that note, anyone actually had a claim on their boat policy? Any injuries & were they covered OK? What about you guys on the Guadalupe who get free boats every few years?

I pay a little less than $600 for our 2015 LSV. 1% deductible; no layup. I priced BoatUS myself and found the insurance that the dealer offered was much less expensive. It's a Boatsman policy through ACE/Johnson and Johnson.

Call around for quotes. Some companies either don't want boats or they have too many boat policies so they jack the rates to discourage buyers.

Like all insurance, higher deductibles and lower coverage amounts make all the difference. As a rule I only insure what I can't afford to replace (AKA a catastrophic loss).

Talk to ski safe today. WAY more reasonable. For killer coverage w/mspr replacement value it's 456.00 a year. Way better coverage and way less then 1200 like my insurance company wanted. Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated

$550/yr on progressive at usaa member rates in NC. As suggested above, it all depends on where you boat and what policy type you want (replacement value, etc)

Edited by NCSurfing

We use State Farm for our boat, along with house, life, and vehicles. Our A22 is just shy of $600 year. It is fully covered 12mo/year (no layup period) I have a $500 deductible.

I have multiple cars and two houses with State Farm. They were 3x as expensive as Ski Safe. Guess who I have for boat insurance.

Definitely give Malcolm at Boater's Insurance a call for a quote! When I got several quotes it was between them and ski safe as the 2 best for price/coverage. It was also nice use utilize "claimed value" instead of blue book, as (like most of us here) my boat has a few goodies that definitely increase the value if I had to replace it. Also included Sky Ski replacement! And no "layup" coverage gaps...they presume it depending on your location; either way, it was most competitive rate. And lastly he was a pleasure to work with.

http://boatins.com/

Malcolm Epling

Sr. Underwriting Manager

Boater's Insurance Agency, Inc.

CA Lic# 0774116

Ph: 1-800-344-7488 x519

Fx: 1-800-837-1158

Ever have a claim go well with them?

I've never had a boat claim in the 16 seasons I've owned a boat. I've heard good things about their claim process, though.

I know you have beef with them about some (I believe former) rules on Sky Ski's. Since I don't participate in that it's a non-issue, though I was under the impression those rules have changed anyway.

i pay $450 a year for State Farm on a 2008 LSV. Full year coverage so it is insured if something happens to it in storage.

Good claim support with State Farm. Also have house, 3 cars and travel trailer through SF. One benefit of single company coverage is liability coverage stacks up.

Check with Boaters ins agency as well. I have had good experiences with them and pay 60% of what you have been quoted. They even cover the boards, vests everything.

• Like 2