Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best bang for buck on batteries?

I have 2 Interstate 24m-xhd cranking batteries that I can't get to charge above 11.5. What would be my best option to have a cranking battery and a deep cycle ( or maybe both deep cycles :unsure: ) that would be an easy swap and use the same boxes, wiring setup, etc? I don't have a crazy power hungry stereo or any other accessory. Sorry for a possible dumb inquiry but all the info ive retained over the years about batteries is that Optimas are an overhyped joke.

2 group 31 dual purpose if you can fit. Deka dual purpose marine master are awesome and what I have run for years with a 2500 watt stereo

So a group 31 will fit in a group 24 box? They're tight in there as is.

Edit - My stereo is probably half that and may run at 60% with the engine off for 2-3 hours on rare occasions.

Edited by Ndawg12

Always have had bad luck with interstate they never last .

Yeah I'd be willing to bet they were put in by the dealer in summer of 2013 when I bought it. I admittedly didn't realize they were both cranking batteries.

You need a descent cranking & a deep cycle battery. And a good on board charger that you can run an time boat is off the lake.

I have a pair of 6 or 7 yr old DieHards that I haven't seen in a few weeks. But their on a smart charger. We'll see how they come out of

hibernation soon.

Last I checked, Johnson Controls manufactures something like 90% of the batteries in the US. They sell under different names, with slightly different specs and warranties, but the batteries are all very similar. Because of that, I go with low cost and good warranty. When I bought three for my fishing boat last year, that meant I bought from Walmart. But Costco and SAMs were close in price.

Proper tool for the proper job. If cheap is your thing and you have a good safe location for a lead/acid battery just about any crossover battery (deep-cycle start combination battery) will do the job for you. We've had a lot of luck with the Interstates in these parts but any battery will give you a respectable life cycle if it is taken care of properly.

Batteries and trailers are probably the most neglected items in boating and typically the most complained about (go figure). If you're only getting 2 or 3 seasons out of your batteries it may be time to start "blaming the Indian and not the bow". How long does you boat sit between uses? Where do you store your batteries during layup? How do you do your battery maintenance and how often are all questions that will typically lead to how long you can expect your batteries to last.

As far as batteries types go..... they all have their place but maintenance for each and the devices used to maintain them will vary. It's hard to argue the value proposition of the tried and trusted lead/acid battery and for most people this is the best "bang for the buck" that you're going to get. If you're worried about buying $10 battery boxes you definitely want to stay away from any of the more exotic battery technologies. I personally run Optima Blue Tops in my boat and am on my 6th season with them. I'm on my 3rd season on my Deka AGM battery in our Waverunner. I personally like the AGM batteries as there are much better mounting options for them and there is no acid to spill. You do however need to understand how they work, how to charge them properly and have the correct charger to maintain them properly. That last sentence is where the "wheels come off the bus" for most people that have had problems with AGM batteries. The $20 charger you can buy from Walmart or the one Grandpa gave you that he's had since he was a boy and passed along to you isn't going to do the job.

So the best advise in your case would be to find the cheapest crossover battery with the longest warranty and chuck the rest. Warranties are typically worthless with the return decreasing with age but it may add up to something at least. If you belong to Costco it's hard to beat their pricing and return policy. If not I'd look for the best sale and go that way.

Edited by Bturner

I've had my 3 Interstates for 2 hard seasons now and they're running fine. I think the biggest problem with batteries on boats in general is most people do not maintain them and let the voltage drain down to the point of no return over time. I have a 3 bank prosport battery tender that I plug up every time I put the boat on the lift. I run my batteries hard as well with my music.....I am running a 15" RE audio XXX off a 2500d amp, 4 rev 8's off of two arc audios + my inboat speakers. Some afternoons on the lake my music will play for 4-5 hours and be fine.

Edited by rjones

I've had my 3 Interstates for 2 hard seasons now and they're running fine. I think the biggest problem with batteries on boats in general is most people do not maintain them and let the voltage drain down to the point of no return over time. I have a 3 bank prosport battery tender that I plug up every time I put the boat on the lift. I run my batteries hard as well with my music.....I am running a 15" RE audio XXX off a 2500d amp, 4 rev 8's off of two arc audios + my inboat speakers. Some afternoons on the lake my music will play for 4-5 hours and be fine.

I think your right. A good smart charger gets the batteries thru the winters safely & keeps them charged up thru the summer use.