Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering new boat - worthy upgrades?

dnowaczyk22

G3.2 vs G4?

Carpet vs the dry deck vs decadence?

Factory tower and transom lights vs aftermarket?

Gps charting?

Any others that anyone has opinions on...

I would go G4 because I like the look better and all the integrated lights are very cool, as well as it folds and locks. Anything but carpet IMO. For lighting it depends how keen you are to be drilling holes in a new boat hull, I would probably just go factory. My dealer in Canada said the GPS charts are not very good at all, but that might just be the accuracy of the canadian version of the software.

They DID upgrade the lights this year. They are supposed to be brighter. I haven't seen them yet though. We ordered ours with the factory underwater lights instead of going aftermarket. I agree with above...anything but carpet. We went with deckadence. It is removeable, which I find nice, and still has some cushion to it, which I also like. Personally, I'm split on the G3.2 v G4. Functionally the G4 is SO much better. The spring assist for raising/lowering makes it SUPER nice. I like how tall and out of the way it is for moving around the boat. And then I sit down and watch a rider and can't see them for some of the time since that HUGE tower base is all in your way.

What boat are you ordering?

G4 - Very nice tower, folds for towing, easier to fit in a garage - downfall is the price. I did not care for them when initially released but they have grown on me. The G3.2 is still a very nice solid tower as well but lacks some functionality of the G4.

Stereo delete - install your own system and save $2500+ with the delete and get a much better system than Malibu will offer

Heater - 3 vent - nice if you ride early spring or fall

Decadence floor mat - love this stuff, great carpet, put 115 hours on it last season and still looks brand new, bulletproof, removable, and feels great on the feet

Extra set of board racks - a must to carry all gear

Surf pockets in bimini

Adjustable height drivers seat - wish I had this, would definitely order

Hot water shower - if you camp a lot would be a nice feature to have

LED docking lights - I like them and they look cool and finish off the bow, imo looks strange without them on the bow

PTM Clamping racks - expensive, but people seem to like them. The bunjee racks work fine but not at same level as PTM racks

• Like 1

What boat are you ordering?

G4 - Very nice tower, folds for towing, easier to fit in a garage - downfall is the price. I did not care for them when initially released but they have grown on me. The G3.2 is still a very nice solid tower as well but lacks some functionality of the G4.

Stereo delete - install your own system and save $2500+ with the delete and get a much better system than Malibu will offer

Heater - 3 vent - nice if you ride early spring or fall

Decadence floor mat - love this stuff, great carpet, put 115 hours on it last season and still looks brand new, bulletproof, removable, and feels great on the feet

Extra set of board racks - a must to carry all gear

Surf pockets in bimini

Adjustable height drivers seat - wish I had this, would definitely order

Hot water shower - if you camp a lot would be a nice feature to have

LED docking lights - I like them and they look cool and finish off the bow, imo looks strange without them on the bow

PTM Clamping racks - expensive, but people seem to like them. The bunjee racks work fine but not at same level as PTM racks

This☝?

Delete the shower

Edited by BamaLSV

This☝

Delete the shower

You live in the south, but I suppose so does the OP. Ill never use the shower as an actual shower, but it sure is nice to fill up a wetsuit with warm water or to warm up after the first few board short sets.

• Like 2

Absolutely +1 on the shower. It is a season extending tool just like the heater. I also added heated seat. Sounds silly but when you finish riding on cold days that seat is worth all 35000 pennies

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

23lsv

All great info,

Need to look into the decadence. Like the feel of carpet but hate the downsides of drying out. This sounds like a good solution

Going with G3.2, like features of G4 but not price or look of it really

So you think not even doing the 8inch speakers in boat is worth it. Better off to just do the whole thing aftermarket?

New board racks look sweet, but come with a hefty tag, kind of like the insurance policy of the bungee either way.

Opinions on blue vs white underwater transom lights

Huge help. Thanks for info

Here are a couple additional options that made sense for me:

1) 3 sets of cleats vs 2 ($180 msrp upgrade) - our lake has a number of restaurants with short docks. To tie up safely, front cleats are a must

2) Phender pro quick release bumpers - these things are really cool. Pop a bumper in and out with no tying. They are a little expensive ($513 msrp), but I think the bumpers might come with them (could be wrong), so the price is not bad for as many times a day as we are in and out of docks.

3) sport dash with rotary knob - this is an OPTION (msrp $368), not standard. It is the cool knob that allows you to change the speed, change the radio, mute the radio with one touch, etc. For the price, this looks to me like a must have option

4) M-Grain on the dash. Otherwise the dash is a much slicker, less textured surface, that I personally did not like as well (about a $333 msrp option)

After reading all the reviews on here, Dekadence sounds like it might be worth the price to upgrade. One option regarding navigation would be to put your phone in the receptacle on the dash and use an app like Navionics, which will trace routes, and has solid maps, for very little cost. I don't know anything about the reliability of the OEM maps/system.

Oh, and at the Atlanta boat show, metallic paint was more prevalent than spokes riders with beanies or salesmen introductions, so you know it's a hot option.

Here are a couple additional options that made sense for me:

1) 3 sets of cleats vs 2 ($180 msrp upgrade) - our lake has a number of restaurants with short docks. To tie up safely, front cleats are a must

2) Phender pro quick release bumpers - these things are really cool. Pop a bumper in and out with no tying. They are a little expensive ($513 msrp), but I think the bumpers might come with them (could be wrong), so the price is not bad for as many times a day as we are in and out of docks.

3) sport dash with rotary knob - this is an OPTION (msrp $368), not standard. It is the cool knob that allows you to change the speed, change the radio, mute the radio with one touch, etc. For the price, this looks to me like a must have option

4) M-Grain on the dash. Otherwise the dash is a much slicker, less textured surface, that I personally did not like as well (about a $333 msrp option)

After reading all the reviews on here, Dekadence sounds like it might be worth the price to upgrade. One option regarding navigation would be to put your phone in the receptacle on the dash and use an app like Navionics, which will trace routes, and has solid maps, for very little cost. I don't know anything about the reliability of the OEM maps/system.

Oh, and at the Atlanta boat show, metallic paint was more prevalent than spokes riders with beanies or salesmen introductions, so you know it's a hot option.

+1 for 3 sets of cleats. We only did 2 sets on our 15' A22 and decided to add other pair this off season.

Speaking of showers, Here is a great place to put it if you don't want to drill any holes in the boat, My dealer installed the kit for me, And to be honest we never use the bins except for sandles. IMG_6119%20-%20Copy_zpsypklukcv.jpgIMG_6125%20-%20Copy_zps6zo4dwvm.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

23lsv

All great info,

Need to look into the decadence. Like the feel of carpet but hate the downsides of drying out. This sounds like a good solution

Going with G3.2, like features of G4 but not price or look of it really

So you think not even doing the 8inch speakers in boat is worth it. Better off to just do the whole thing aftermarket?

New board racks look sweet, but come with a hefty tag, kind of like the insurance policy of the bungee either way.

Opinions on blue vs white underwater transom lights

Huge help. Thanks for info

I went with the 9 Count Lifeforms LED Back transom lights, in Blue! White looks fine but any other color look custom, And if your going to do aftermarket rear bags, Check out the Wakemakers Custom rear locker bags, They are designed to work with the bins so you can fill them full and not have to take out the bins, Wakemaker005_zpsfe3b22ec.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

I just ordered a 2016 23 LSV and think the G4 tower worth the extra coin. The PTM racks are included with that upgrade. I am going to go against the grain on the deckadence. Have it on my VTX and thought it got too hot and did not like the feel on my feet. Ordered carpet in the new one. I'm a big fan of the pop up bow light. Have on both boats.

I just ordered a 2016 23 LSV and think the G4 tower worth the extra coin. The PTM racks are included with that upgrade. I am going to go against the grain on the deckadence. Have it on my VTX and thought it got too hot and did not like the feel on my feet. Ordered carpet in the new one. I'm a big fan of the pop up bow light. Have on both boats.

Hot in comparison to what? I have had regular oem carpet in two prior Malibus and went decadence this time, when its 100+ degrees out anything is hot on your feet. The decadence will breath which makes it more tolerable, at least that has been my experience. The Malibu oem carpet imo is terrible, one season and it looks matted down, smells musty and looks worn out. Plus standard carpet has very little stain resistance in comparison to decadence. Everyone who has been in my boat comments how much they like decadence and how it feels on there feet, but to each is own. Personally, I won't ever go back to regular carpet, way to many other options available now.

Hot in comparison to what? I have had regular oem carpet in two prior Malibus and went decadence this time, when its 100+ degrees out anything is hot on your feet. The decadence will breath which makes it more tolerable, at least that has been my experience. The Malibu oem carpet imo is terrible, one season and it looks matted down, smells musty and looks worn out. Plus standard carpet has very little stain resistance in comparison to decadence. Everyone who has been in my boat comments how much they like decadence and how it feels on there feet, but to each is own. Personally, I won't ever go back to regular carpet, way to many other options available now.

I have always love the carpeted look and feel .....Until this last year, I never could get it to dry out and the sour smell was awful, I'm going with Gatorstep, Just ordered my floor kit!

You live in the south, but I suppose so does the OP. Ill never use the shower as an actual shower, but it sure is nice to fill up a wetsuit with warm water or to warm up after the first few board short sets.

I see that. I just have no use for one in Alabama. I will have to be Mindful of opportunities to use this season.....hmmmm

I have always love the carpeted look and feel .....Until this last year, I never could get it to dry out and the sour smell was awful, I'm going with Gatorstep, Just ordered my floor kit!

That is cool, it looks like a nice product. One thing I question is how permanent it is and how it will resist staining. I am not a fan of not being able to remove my carpet and clean and air out. Just my .02...plus, I am kind of a carpet snob, I like a clean floor :)

If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost of doing the entire floor in a VLX?

Edited by Fman

I went with the deckadence as well on my order... I love the look of the gatorstep but as a few others have mentioned don't know how stain resistant or easy to clean it is, plus you'll have to clean all the crevices between the pieces.

Some options I went with that I think are great and assist with ease of use

- phender pro definitely, a few have talked about having to change heights, I went with an 8"x20" fender and I think it will be great, these boats aren't cabin cruiser where you may fluctuate up or down 2-3 feet, if you tie the knot wisely it shouldn't ever have to be moved.

- power lift helm seat: don't know how many guys ive seen adding risers to their helm seat, why not get the power one, save that hassel and have full range adjustability for different activities (surprised only one other person mentioned this)

- I went with biggest motor possible, don't think its necessary at all but you can always apply more throttle but you can't easily swap out motors

- heated seat/heater just to extend season and hopefully keep the wife happy so she'll pull me!! :lol:

- got docking lights and underwater lights, as someone else said I think the docking lights finish off the bow of the boat and what's not to love about some blue underwater lighting

- stereo delete and have a custom job done, probably same price, maybe cheaper and will sound amazing so long as you have a quality marine audio shop do the job

- also ordered an Evo cover, once again I think it was cheaper than factory or same cost and it's a better product

- engine flush kit so you can warm motor up while on the trailer for oil changes if you do that yourself

- strongly considered the hot water shower but didn't like the way they ran the water lines

Amazing info, love hearing all the opinions.

Going with G3.2, G4 is but don't fold my tower much and don't like the bulky base

Gonna hold off on the shower and do afterwards where they can mount it differently

Really like the look and feel of carpet besides headaches but gonna try the new soft grip cause the wife likes it and they supposedly can put carpet over as well later if I hate it.

Did the underwater lights. Wasn't sure on color but boat is blue so went blue. Held off on tower lights because I know the HID ones are way brighter and can put later

Added the third cleat

Gonna hold off on the fender just cause we don't dock a ton and never thought this to be a issue or concern

Really still torn on a couple things

Stereo - if you do completely aftermarket do you limit the integration capabilities with the touch screen etc???

Navigation - never used so not sure on how good the Malibu software is, the navionics ap along side a phone is very intriguing, anyone have any experience with this?

That is cool, it looks like a nice product. One thing I question is how permanent it is and how it will resist staining. I am not a fan of not being able to remove my carpet and clean and air out. Just my .02...plus, I am kind of a carpet snob, I like a clean floor :)

If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost of doing the entire floor in a VLX?

I have had it on my swim platform for the entire year, Greasy foot prints from working on it,Red dirt from Shasta lake, and over 160 HR of abuse, And the durability is amazing, I just used a soft brush and it cleans up so easy, I know the floor wont see near the amount of dirt or grease that my swim platform gets! Give these guys a call, they have pretty much all the templates for our boats, The cost retail is about the same as the nicer carpet, Here's the link, Give them a call! http://www.gatorstep.com/ And I hear is really easy to install your self, I'm bringing down to them when it's ready and they said it takes about 20 minutes to install.

Edited by Wakesetter67

Amazing info, love hearing all the opinions.

Going with G3.2, G4 is but don't fold my tower much and don't like the bulky base

Gonna hold off on the shower and do afterwards where they can mount it differently

Really like the look and feel of carpet besides headaches but gonna try the new soft grip cause the wife likes it and they supposedly can put carpet over as well later if I hate it.

Did the underwater lights. Wasn't sure on color but boat is blue so went blue. Held off on tower lights because I know the HID ones are way brighter and can put later

Added the third cleat

Gonna hold off on the fender just cause we don't dock a ton and never thought this to be a issue or concern

Really still torn on a couple things

Stereo - if you do completely aftermarket do you limit the integration capabilities with the touch screen etc???

Navigation - never used so not sure on how good the Malibu software is, the navionics ap along side a phone is very intriguing, anyone have any experience with this?

I did stereo delete and I went all Exile system, They have a ZLD which controls all the zones and volume also, I use an old Ipod and my Iphone for my music so I dont miss the integration at all, Plus I have zero issues with any sort of engine noise! Its not for everyone but if you like everything to match and you get to control what equipment you want its a win win, On my 2010 I ended up selling all the RF stuff at cheep pricing just to get rid of it, So saving about 3000.00 was a smarter way to go for me!

Don't let Malibu install the shower on your boat unless they can confirm the exact location they're going to drill the hole and install the sprayer for you. Mine is on the gunnel, on the same side (driver's) as the primary dock I use, therefore everyone wants to step on the top of the sprayer and the hose is barely long enough to get to the swim platform. The install shown previously where the sprayer and mixer valve are installed in the rear tubs is brilliant; If you ever decide to remove the shower you won't have to get someone to repair the fiberglass and gelcoat. When I have some work done to my boat I'm going to have the shower hole removed so I can put everything in one of the rear tubs.

Also, the shower only gets warm/hot once the thermostat has opened and mine is either lake temp or 160*, the mixer doesn't work worth a crap and the pump is very weak. Reconsider or go after-market to keep yourself happy.

Here's a very lengthy discussion of the GPS, compass, and chartplotter. Save the money and implement the < $200 solution to get all three: (*PM me if you need assistance)

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/topic/56417-compass-on-2015-dash/

• Like 2

On my 2014 I have the chart plotter navigation system and it is terrible. Did not order on my 2016. I have an app on my I phone from Navonics (sp?) that works fine. I think it was ten bucks.