Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Importing tow rigs from Canada

Nitrousbird

After seeing Shawn's thread about importing boats from Canada, it got me thinking about importing trucks.

They are pretty much the same vehicles, just need to find models that are easy to convert from km to miles. With this exchange rate and Canada not being that far away, I started looking at pricing; there happens to be some savings.

Anyone done it? What is the pain in the arse factor? Obviously have to pay my local sales tax to register, but what about GST, PST and Duty? Just seeing if this makes sense to pursue the idea further or just forget about it. If paying duty, taxes, etc. bring the price within 1-2k of a US bought vehicle, it doesn't make sense. More than that might make it worth considering.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I phoned this customs broker http://www.pcbusa.co...ge-vehicles.cfm and was told that if the vehicle has the sticker in the engine compartment and the sticker in the door and the American purchaser is the one taking it back to the USA for personal use, that a customs broker is not needed and that US customs would allow the American purchaser to make their own declaration at the border.

She suggested phoning the port of entry in the USA to confirm if that port will allow you to make your own declaration. If yes, that is all there is.

I sold my 2007 silverado Duramax lifted with an exhaust to a guy in the states.

Like said above if the truck has a dot safety sticker on the door and a EPA sticker under the hood it is okay to be taken to the states.

Mine only had the EPA sticker so what you do is call the manufacturer and ask for a manufacturers letter.

They emailed me the manufacturers letter stating that it conforms to all US DOT and EPA safety standards.

I went the the border with the buyer just to make sure everything went smoothly and it was super simple. All they wanted was a bill of sale we wrote up and the manufacturers letter. He did a some paper work and it was done in and out in about 15 minutes. The guard didn't even come out and look at the truck ahah.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how they treat the roads up there but it is something to think about if looking at used. The trucks around hear are in so much worse shape then southern state trucks. We use salt, and for awhile used calcium on the roads in the winter, (imagine washing your truck with salt water, they salted this morning and now its wet and misty out, its not raining out but you have to use the wipers from spray coming off the road they just salted) I cant imagine a southern guy wanting to buy a truck from the north? They will have much more rust on them (there are alot of 00-07 and even newer trucks with bad/broke frames from rust) and the roads are so much worse from plowing and constant weather change they typically need suspension/chassis parts replaced much sooner. If you live in an area that doesn't deal with rust its going to be another issue when doing maintenance/repair as the mechanics just are not used to working with it. Obviously if the rite deal were to show up its worth checking into, but I would be much more apt to look south.

On 2/24/2016 at 11:53 AM, mainekneeboarder said:

I'm not sure how they treat the roads up there but it is something to think about if looking at used. The trucks around hear are in so much worse shape then southern state trucks. We use salt, and for awhile used calcium on the roads in the winter, (imagine washing your truck with salt water, they salted this morning and now its wet and misty out, its not raining out but you have to use the wipers from spray coming off the road they just salted) I cant imagine a southern guy wanting to buy a truck from the north? They will have much more rust on them (there are alot of 00-07 and even newer trucks with bad/broke frames from rust) and the roads are so much worse from plowing and constant weather change they typically need suspension/chassis parts replaced much sooner. If you live in an area that doesn't deal with rust its going to be another issue when doing maintenance/repair as the mechanics just are not used to working with it. Obviously if the rite deal were to show up its worth checking into, but I would be much more apt to look south.

A TON of northern trucks make it to the south. They are sold at auction before they get too bad and often end up down here because they are a "good deal". Dealers sell them to people for full retail and make a ton of money because people aren't looking for rust.