Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Importing from Canada?

shawndoggy

With oil trading at under $30/barrel is this causing Canada to take the hit? I heard a large part of there economy was driven from oil industry? I wonder if this will affect Wizard Lake, apparently they are the highest volume Malibu dealer with highest profit margin.

re wizard, old man doesn't drive a Bentley by fluke.

Not that anyone wants to hear about F150s, but my 2013 went this morning. Las Vegas purchaser met me at a local bank (TD Canada Trust) in Calgary, where he has an account, had the bank draft cut there in person in Canadian funds. Of course we did our diligence at either end but we both were very happy with the outcome.

2016 F150 arrives in about a week.....

Edited by KokaneeKonsumer

My truck is on ebay in the US right for the same reason. Bought it in Ohio so it is pretty easy to import a US truck back into the US. There is a screaming deal on vehicles up here. Our prices are about dollar for dollar for used trucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121870323266?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I have bought a brand new f150 every 6 months and send the old into the states and sell for considerably more than I paid for it. My 2016 will be her very soon. Any tmc members want a basically brand new full load f150? It will be down there soon.

Edited by wheelman

With oil trading at under $30/barrel is this causing Canada to take the hit? I heard a large part of there economy was driven from oil industry? I wonder if this will affect Wizard Lake, apparently they are the highest volume Malibu dealer with highest profit margin.

This is not really accurate. The CDN dollar is more or less at the equivalent to where it was relative to other world currencies (EURO, AUS dollar etc..). The USD has gone up relative to most others in the world. Buying up north is a REAL deal right now for you guys. The oil prices have really only impacted those working in the industry. Here in BC we see a lot more new big dumb diesel coal rolling trucks w/ Albertan plates on them as the guys have come home hoping work will pick up again soon.

That said, whistler and other places like that here in BC you will not find deals for purchase as the prices in Vancouver and whistler are being driven even higher than what is crazy high already by offshore investment from Asia while those guys try to get their money out of that economy which is struggling. If you want to do a ski vaca... well that is another story. your dollar is worth more relatively so it will 'seem' cheaper. So come on in and spend lots of cash!!! :biggrin:

If I was to make a suggestion though... those of you interested in buying used wakeboats should watch craigslist for places like Vernon and Kelowna.

Edited by dmc

This is not really accurate. The CDN dollar is more or less at the equivalent to where it was relative to other world currencies (EURO, AUS dollar etc..). The USD has gone up relative to most others in the world. Buying up north is a REAL deal right now for you guys. The oil prices have really only impacted those working in the industry. Here in BC we see a lot more new big dumb diesel coal rolling trucks w/ Albertan plates on them as the guys have come home hoping work will pick up again soon.

That said, whistler and other places like that here in BC you will not find deals for purchase as the prices in Vancouver and whistler are being driven even higher than what is crazy high already by offshore investment from Asia while those guys try to get their money out of that economy which is struggling. If you want to do a ski vaca... well that is another story. your dollar is worth more relatively so it will 'seem' cheaper. So come on in and spend lots of cash!!! :biggrin:

If I was to make a suggestion though... those of you interested in buying used wakeboats should watch craigslist for places like Vernon and Kelowna.

That was my point oil industry was driving jobs that would allow $130k+ purchases. I was told Wizard would not deal on boats, literally near full MSRP when you buy one, regardless if it was Malibu or Nautique. Maybe this is not the case? I have also heard Texas in the US is taking some big hits right now as well in oil industry, people involved with fracking are going out of business. News mentioned the Sadi's are flooding the market driving oil prices to plummet to put all the fracking companies out of business. Apparently oil needs to be trading around $70/barrel to make fracking profitable.

Bought my boat from Wizard in Kelowna. Got an excellent deal. No they wouldn't deal on price. Only because my boat was priced in a manner that it wouldn't have lasted 24 hours on the market. I generally never pay asking price. But a deal is a deal. I'd rather deal with a company that brings a product to the market priced competitively right out of the gate rather than leaving a bunch of money on the table. It's always worked for me. You can make a bunch of money off a ton of lower margin sales to happy repeat customers, or you can make a bunch of money off a couple of sales to customers leaving scratching their heads. The MC dealer out here is way out in left field with most of their pricing. But good on them I guess. They are the largest in the world and it seems to be working for them. They have a heck of a following. I just refuse to be a part of it. Not sure how Wizard prices their new boats. But from everybody I know that has dealt with them, they keep coming back. So they must be doing something right. I wouldn't have to think twice about buying from them again. They were excellent to deal with. And regardless of the economy in Alberta, there will still be a huge market for Wizard out here. Folks up here ordering 2016's will have to contend with the dollar which will drive prices sky high. I think this is really going to drive up the prices of used V-Drives.

That was my point oil industry was driving jobs that would allow $130k+ purchases. I was told Wizard would not deal on boats, literally near full MSRP when you buy one, regardless if it was Malibu or Nautique. Maybe this is not the case? I have also heard Texas in the US is taking some big hits right now as well in oil industry, people involved with fracking are going out of business. News mentioned the Sadi's are flooding the market driving oil prices to plummet to put all the fracking companies out of business. Apparently oil needs to be trading around $70/barrel to make fracking profitable.

$40-45 a barrel is breakeven according to a guy I talked to this morning that owns a drilling machine in texas. He said he's going to have to file for bankruptcy at some point in the near future and predicts many of the smaller guys will be right behind him. It was pretty interesting conversation.

You guys do know that the warranty is not covered if you buy a boat in Canada and live in the US and vice versa, correct?

For any warranty repairs the only workaround would be to take it back to your purchasing dealer.

They do this to protect the respective markets.

You guys do know that the warranty is not covered if you buy a boat in Canada and live in the US and vice versa, correct?

For any warranty repairs the only workaround would be to take it back to your purchasing dealer.

Funny how car warranties are transferrable through the border.

Funny how car warranties are transferrable through the border.

A car isn't a boat.

Just like people assume warranties transfer automatically.

Too many people do not actually bother to read the warranty policy of the $100k+ boat they purchased.

The warranty is not tranferrable, or is transferrable when you pay for the warranty to be transferred from one party to another? For US boat, there is a fee to transfer the warranty.

The warranty is not tranferrable, or is transferrable when you pay for the warranty to be transferred from one party to another? For US boat, there is a fee to transfer the warranty.

If a boat is purchased in Canada and you live in the US, the warranty is not valid in the US. Same the other way around.

Might be the same for used boat transfers. Not looked at that.

Not true at all. They start dealing at 25% off MSRP. The end of last season I was dealing on a '15 LSV and I had an offer for 35% off MSRP. They are a big dealer so they are able to scalp smaller margins on boats just by the volume they sell.

Has anyone financed a boat they bought out of Canada? How would that work?

Makes things more complicated. Not all banks will lend on boats outside the us. Personally, if I was going to go that route I'd use a heloc instead. Pm LBJ, he was looking into it when he bought his boat last year.

So just for S's & G's, and skimming through this thread, would I get 30% off on this baby? http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-Malibu-Wakesetter-VTX-350-MONSOON-ONLY-25-HOURS--for-sale-Kelowna-Canada-54346.aspx

:crazy:

If you go to Wizard Lake's website, it's listed at $94,9. I'd assume the $67,9 price is in American dollars.

• Like 1

Still a great deal. Almost new boat, PNP, bimini, heater, shower, heated drivers seat, transom lights, blue flake, ski pylon, etc. I'd definitely be calling on it if I was in the market for another VTX!

Ah that makes more sense. Damn lol

When I was reading the add, I'm thinking what a steal this can't be right! Then it dawned on me. :Doh:. $$ US.

it scares me to think what it costs to replace my baby.

Edited by Dare2goBare
ahopkins22LSV

Still a great deal. Almost new boat, PNP, bimini, heater, shower, heated drivers seat, transom lights, blue flake, ski pylon, etc. I'd definitely be calling on it if I was in the market for another VTX!

Yeah I agree. Would have to factor in getting it to MI and the whole wife leaving me thing... But other than that, agreed a good deal. :biggrin:

Yeah I agree. Would have to factor in getting it to MI and the whole wife leaving me thing... But other than that, agreed a good deal. :biggrin:

Ha! Maybe our wives are related. ;) I had to make a lot of promises of not upgrading every couple of years when I went from a 2012 to my (current) 2014. It took some convincing that SurfGate was worth the $$. Now I have to keep telling myself that I don't need the other new options (dash, PW2, etc). I wonder what shipping from that far away in Canada would be......I'm guessing $1200-1500? Boat is definitely loaded with options.