Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Importing from Canada?

shawndoggy

Wow, it is crazy how far it has shifted. 5 years ago when AZ was one of the foreclosed home hot spots. I tried buying a couple different places but was over bid by Canadian buyers. The loonies was exchanging around $1.12 then. I knew it had swung back the other way, but did not realize how far it went.

Edited by DarkSide

But if you're a Canadian in the export business you're loving it. Sure will be interesting to see the boat prices at the Vancouver boat show this week. I've heard a 16 23lsv is north of a 150k at a deal, plus our 12% tax. Sure glad I bought when I did.

• Like 1

Tax here is expensive. But I'm sure there are deals to be had. There is a 2015 T23 near me that has a CND list of 93K.

An American buyer would not pay our tax.

An American buyer would not pay sales tax when buying a boat from a dealership? They are definitely paying GST. As non-residents they are exempt from the PST.

Private sale is a different story.

Boats aside, killer ski vacation condos in Whistler, Alberta, Mont Tremblant are a steal for American buyers.

Edited by saxton15

I just came back to Michigan from a weekend of skiing at Blue Mt, Ontario. I bought advanced on-line lift tickets over MLK weekend for $35 USD! For those familiar with MI skiing, the same ticket would have cost me $83 at Boyne. Food and lodging at 33% off too!

I wish temperature would have somehow converted to be warmer!

Edited by Badger

If you buy from a private party there's no taxes on boats here. If you look the ads online, divide the CAD price by 1.42 and you will get the price in USD. The best discounts are on used boats...

No doubt, but there are and will be some leftover 2015's possibly even 2014's if you look out west that will be discounted. For a brand new boat, and the dollar disparity, there will be some deals to be had at the dealers.

An American buyer would not pay sales tax when buying a boat from a dealership? They are definitely paying GST. As non-residents they are exempt from the PST.

Private sale is a different story.

Boats aside, killer ski vacation condos in Whistler, Alberta, Mont Tremblant are a steal for American buyers.

An American buyer who buys a Canadian vehicle and shows it is for export does not pay any of our Canadian tax, they will pay whatever their tax is in the state that they title it. The same as when a Canadian imports a u s vehicle into Canada they do not pay u s but will pay tax in the province they register it in. I have been selling and buying vehicles back and forward from the states for 15 years.

• Like 2

An American buyer who buys a Canadian vehicle and shows it is for export does not pay any of our Canadian tax, they will pay whatever their tax is in the state that they title it. The same as when a Canadian imports a u s vehicle into Canada they do not pay u s but will pay tax in the province they register it in. I have been selling and buying vehicles back and forward from the states for 15 years.

And here in Nevada, there's no sales tax at all on a private party sale...

And here in Nevada, there's no sales tax at all on a private party sale...

Same in Oregon.....an urban myth, is that folks buy say a new boat, and license the newly purchased boat in OR...easy to do. Then after 90 days of the boat being registered in OR, a State where there is no sales tax, the boat is then TRANSFERRED to an adjacent State. Since the boat is being transferred and not purchased, there is no sales tax when transferring the boat to the adjacent State, saving the boat owner approx 8.5 ish%. just an urban myth I heard about.

There are always several nice new boats moored in Ensenada, Mexico. ANd amazingly moored for about 90 days.

Same in Oregon.....an urban myth, is that folks buy say a new boat, and license the newly purchased boat in OR...easy to do. Then after 90 days of the boat being registered in OR, a State where there is no sales tax, the boat is then TRANSFERRED to an adjacent State. Since the boat is being transferred and not purchased, there is no sales tax when transferring the boat to the adjacent State, saving the boat owner approx 8.5 ish%. just an urban myth I heard about.

There are always several nice new boats moored in Ensenada, Mexico. ANd amazingly moored for about 90 days.

Yes, that's also known as tax fraud, if at the time you aren't actually a resident of OR. I know here in NV, the Dept of Taxation was going around to high end storage facilities a few years ago trying to find diesel pusher RVs with Montana plates (Montana had a "buy here, form LLC here, drop motorhome into LLC here, register here" scam going). NV Dept of Taxation doesn't take kindly to that sort of scenario and was using its statutory authority to impose 3x taxes that should've been paid + interest.

Edited by shawndoggy

Interesting. I bought my boat in the US, and it is currently titled in the US. When I bring it back to Canada and register it, you're saying I will not need to pay any tax? What about import duty?

Yes, that's also known as tax fraud, if at the time you aren't actually a resident of OR. I know here in NV, the Dept of Taxation was going around to high end storage facilities a few years ago trying to find diesel pusher RVs with Montana plates (Montana had a "buy here, form LLC here, drop motorhome into LLC here, register here" scam going). NV Dept of Taxation doesn't take kindly to that sort of scenario and was using its statutory authority to impose 3x taxes that should've been paid + interest.

Oregon used to have the highest RV sales in the nation at one point before a similar tax fraud scheme was busted, maybe 10 or more years back.

Fortunately I get to enjoy that benefit as a resident. I've been watching the exchange rate for awhile and impacts of the oil markets too, expecting my next boat is already somewhere in Canada. I'm still a year or more out though from upgrading to an early surfgate LSV.

Edited by NWBU

Interesting. I bought my boat in the US, and it is currently titled in the US. When I bring it back to Canada and register it, you're saying I will not need to pay any tax? What about import duty?

If you bought your boat in the u s and kept it there you should have paid that states tax if there was any applicable. When you bring it into Canada you will pay pst if your province has it and gst, even if it is a used private sale boat. You will pay this tax right at the border crossing if you bring the boat into Canada yourself. There is no import duty. I am assuming you live in Canada but have a place in the states also where you keep your boat? If you were an American resident moving to Canada and importing your vehicles things would be different

Oregon used to have the highest RV sales in the nation at one point before a similar tax fraud scheme was busted, maybe 10 or more years back.

Fortunately I get to enjoy that benefit as a resident. I've been watching the exchange rate for awhile and impacts of the oil markets too, expecting my next boat is already somewhere in Canada. I'm still a year or more out though from upgrading to an early surfgate LSV.

weren't they called snowbirds? or something akin to that?

Marathon coaches has a plant just north of Eugene.

Edited by WINEGRAPEGROWER

If you bought your boat in the u s and kept it there you should have paid that states tax if there was any applicable. When you bring it into Canada you will pay pst if your province has it and gst, even if it is a used private sale boat. You will pay this tax right at the border crossing if you bring the boat into Canada yourself. There is no import duty. I am assuming you live in Canada but have a place in the states also where you keep your boat? If you were an American resident moving to Canada and importing your vehicles things would be different

That's correct. Cottage is in the US, but we live in Canada. I paid state tax to register the boat. Therefore I'll be paying HST to bring it back to Ontario. My plan isn't to bring it back to Canada either way. Just checking, Thanks for the knowledge!

Yes. I agree . Doesn't NV charge a sales tax only when purchasin a spankin new boat? but there is no state sales tax when buying a used boat? I think CA and WA charge/assess sales tax on both new and used purchases. which is why OR is soooo popular, specially on purchases of high cost items like boats, rvs and planes.

Yes. I agree . Doesn't NV charge a sales tax only when purchasin a spankin new boat? but there is no state sales tax when buying a used boat? I think CA and WA charge/assess sales tax on both new and used purchases. which is why OR is soooo popular, specially on purchases of high cost items like boats, rvs and planes.

NV has sales tax on dealer sales, whether used or new and whether in or out of state. So if you buy new or used from a dealer out of state, you need to go cut a sales tax check to the dept of taxation before you can register your boat here. Private party used is where it's at.

But if you're a Canadian in the export business you're loving it. Sure will be interesting to see the boat prices at the Vancouver boat show this week. I've heard a 16 23lsv is north of a 150k at a deal, plus our 12% tax. Sure glad I bought when I did.

Yup. ...like you...Sure glad I bought when I did to!

With oil trading at under $30/barrel is this causing Canada to take the hit? I heard a large part of there economy was driven from oil industry? I wonder if this will affect Wizard Lake, apparently they are the highest volume Malibu dealer with highest profit margin.

Edited by Fman