Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealer Offering 2 Props for 2005 VLX: 1235 or 2419, Help Me!

95echelon

Hi everyone!

I sold my last Malibu (95 Echelon EFI) when building my current home. I just got a signing bonus from a new job and I am purchasing a used VLX (2005). It has a prop with a nick in it and they are offering me a choice of an ACME 1235 or a 2419 as a new replacement with purchase.

Here is my situation:

1. Have a lake place, boat will be in a lift and we can do sports right off the dock. Don't need to travel on the boat long distance. I have a pontoon for trips down the lake in comfort. (only 7 miles long)
  2. Boat will be used for tubing and wakeboarding this year (kids are young).
  3. I would like to try surfing in the future, but for now I am on the stock MLS with NO FRONT TANK
  4. If I surf it will be with a surfgate knock off on the platform, piggyback or 1100 replacement rear sacks, a sack under the front seats and lead in the bow with wedge down
  5. Monsoon 340 motor
  6. Typical Passengers are 2-3 adults (300-450 pounds total) and 3 kids under 70 pounds, Occasionally extra kids and adults.

My thoughts are that 1235 is tried and true and offers a bit of extra oomph over the stock prop, but that if I fully sack out this boat and weigh it down most folks will tell me to go with 2419. Though I love the idea of surfing, it might be a next year project with just fun on wakeboard and tubes this year. I am already adding a basement to my home, and gutting a kitchen and bath at my lake place. I may not have time to research and install a whole new ballast system in this boat. I want to go have fun after many years without a ski boat.

Am I off base with my thoughts? What would you guys do?

between those two, 2419, but I bet you could get away with a 2315, which would give you a bit more top end/cruising speed (not much, it's still a low-geared prop).

I think they have the two listed available in the shop right now, which is why I was offered those two specifically. I am not opposed to buying another in the future.

you could burn more fuel depending on usage. If your day on the water includes 20-30 minute cruises to get to your ride spot, then almost certainly you'd burn more fuel with a 2419 vs 1235. Also if you regularly spend much time above say 26mph.

I would question a 2419 on a vlx. I run a 1235 on a 12 VLX and it does all I need it to do. I run a lot of weight, listed. You may need a little more if you plan to SLAM it with a gate system but if you are just getting into surfing, and may not even do it next year, IMO the 2419 would be overkill.

What are the drawbacks of the prop aside from reduced top end? Does it affect gas milage.

My response is based on going from a 1235 to a 2313 (less aggressive than a 2419 but still an aggressive 15" prop) A few times I hit the wall with the 1235, a bigger motor, and running less weight than you're planning to. Whether it's this year or next, I suspect you'll add that much weight, probably more and have the same problem. The 2419 can be evenly traded down to a less aggressive 15" prop, you might have to come out of pocket a couple hundred bucks to get up to a 15" with a 1235 in hand. And I'd agree with Shawndoggy, cruising above 25 may sip more gas, but I know I run 300-500 less rpms (all others variables being equal) at surfing speeds with my 2313. So the fuel mileage is hardly worth worrying about. IMO and all that.

Did you try the boat with the prop that came with it?

May be a winter thing over there.....

Do you know what the original prop is?

If one of the suggested, or close, what about repairing the original & try it for a season or at least a few outings.

Did you try the boat with the prop that came with it?

May be a winter thing over there.....

Do you know what the original prop is?

If one of the suggested, or close, what about repairing the original & try it for a season or at least a few outings.

No i am flying out to look at the boat pre-purchase but it's 2000 miles away. I am having it shipped to me and lakes are frozen here. I might be able to keep the old prop, whatever it is, its likely stock.

2419. Even if it is too much prop, you sell it, get a 1235 and have money left over (buying/selling used). Though even if the 2429 was too much prop, I wouldn't replace it with the 1235. The 1235 was the go to power prop before a pile of other options became available. Now people get them either used because they are plentiful or because they never really researched all of the current options.

• Like 2

Unless you're doing slalom skiing at 38mph or long (and fast) cruises, I'd go more aggressive.

If you're OK with selling a used prop at a huge loss in a year or so to help buy the correct one then get the 1235.