Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wisconsin Window Tint Law For Boats?

chrisnorem

Anyone specifically aware if I can tint the windshield on my boat used in Wisconsin? I can't find anything specific to a boat. What I read for a car would suggest I can't but this is not a car. Maybe I am missing it. Thanks.

Look under the USCG regs. I have not specifically seen this addressed in the USCG or TN regs in my case and strongly suspect that it will end up being a judgement call for the LE person involved. I would bet it would be added on to some other boating infraction and will have the words "careless and imprudent operation and or poses a navigational hazard" listed as an additional the offense. Navigational hazards cover a lot of ground and is mentioned frequently in the USCG regs.

Never heard of a tint ticket for a boat. I will say, that most people that go 20% or darker are like "it looks awesome..... buuuut, I can't see anything, especially at night."

You see what I'm sayin'?

46515104.jpg

• Like 1

I think the main reason for the window tint law was so Police could see inside a vehicle, Which as we no does not apply to a boat, Furthermore you can use the skin cancer clause, although you might need a doctors slip, I would not worry about it, Most have no clue if that was factory or not...

Anyone specifically aware if I can tint the windshield on my boat used in Wisconsin? I can't find anything specific to a boat. What I read for a car would suggest I can't but this is not a car. Maybe I am missing it. Thanks.

If not expressly prohibited, you should be fine.

However, if you want to cross your T's and dot your lowercase J's, I would email Roy Zellmer ([email protected]) and ask him. Roy is a/the boating law administrator for WI.

*EDIT*

I can get you Roy's phone number as well if you prefer to go that route - just shoot me a PM.

Edited by RedOwl
Just a follow up:

I spoke with Wisconsin's Chief Warden Administrator earlier in the week and she confirmed that there are NO statutes, restrictions or regulations pertaining to tinting a boat's windshield. Prior to getting back to me she actually spoke w/ multiple wardens around the state and confirmed that none of them have ever written a ticket for window tinting.

As a warden, she went on to say that she would hope a person exercises good judgement when having it applied and to make sure it didn't impair their driving abilities and awareness of surroundings.

• Like 2