Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer guide post pads...why are they all garbage?

exlonghorn

If you coast in slow on the river, your going to be sideways on your trailer in a heartbeat. Even on a busy day on the lake there are too many weird currents & eddies around the launch to coast in slow.

Absolutely correct. It's like a rodeo most of the time. In the mornings it's a piece of cake to launch with few boats on the water, but the water is a mess by the afternoon with the current and wakesurfers running up and down the river (the river is maybe 125 yards wide at that launching point)

• Like 1

Mine started falling apart and fading the second year.

don't tell me that.. oh well for $30 that did their job this season and look great. We'll see how long they last.

If you coast in slow on the river, your going to be sideways on your trailer in a heartbeat. Even on a busy day on the lake there are too many weird currents & eddies around the launch to coast in slow.

Probably not as bad as your river but I need to coast in the last 40 feet or you can hit your prop depending on the water level while the wind is moving you all over, (especially with the bimini up). Have the same problem coming into our dock slip too, (9'6" wide). I have covers over the dock poles and don't tear them up.

Driving an inboard for 35 years might help.

post-82-0-14288400-1453315304_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That makes more sense in terms of smacking the guides. I've never taken the Malibu into the river, but the last boat my wife refused to load since the current was so bad where we launched - very close to one of the lock and dams on the Mississippi.

Edited by oldjeep

That makes more sense in terms of smacking the guides. I've never taken the Malibu into the river, but the last boat my wife refused to load since the current was so bad where we launched - very close to one of the lock and dams on the Mississippi.

Makes sense. Quinlan Park launch is about 4 miles downstream from Mansfield Dam. I lived in an around the twin cities for about 20 years, but never had the chance to go boating there...did up on Gull Lake though.

don't tell me that.. oh well for $30 that did their job this season and look great. We'll see how long they last.

I wanted to love them as all my gear is ronix. Oh well, with how much I save I can more than buy a new set of guide pads from them every year...

Yea, thankfully we don't ride those crazy places everyday. The Willamette near Portland has like an 8 or 9 knot current so you have to come into the trailer with a little authority & sometimes it rattles into place.

A couple years ago we got caught in a windstorm on the Columbia. We made our way back to the launch at Sunland thru 4' or 5' waves. Then got the boat on the trailer in +2' rollers. It was nuts. Even after we had the boat out we stuck around to help others get out too.

I have over 20 yrs on boats in general, maybe 12 or 13 of that on inboards. And about 7 or 8 driving ski shows & competitions. So I can hold my own when it comes to moving an inboard around in close quarters. Even have the same kind of slip as you, although it's not as shallow.... And I back into it. ;)

Probably not as bad as your river but I need to coast in the last 40 feet or you can hit your prop depending on the water level while the wind is moving you all over, (especially with the bimini up). Have the same problem coming into our dock slip too, (9'6" wide). I have covers over the dock poles and don't tear them up.

Driving an inboard for 35 years might help.

0524091340a.jpg

This sounds backwards to me, I want the padding on my poles when I launch to protect my boat.My pad damage is always lopsided. The left one gets beat up, while the right one looks new. The launch I use has a pretty good current going.

To each his own - but my theory is that the plastic spinner poles do absolutely no damage whatsoever to the stainless steel rub rail - which is the only thing that actually touches them. And yes, the screw heads either scratch the plastic poles or rip up the pole covers if you leave them on. In fact on my first Malibu at one of its services the dealer told me when I picked the boat up they forgot to take them off when they launched her for the water test - and because that damaged them they had given me new ones (ie before I even knew about it)...

These are the best I have found so far, They are made out of a heavier material, But yes if you play pin ball while loading your boat you still might cut them, but it takes a pretty good hit to do it, I have a friend I let load on occasion and he rips them every time, Needless to say I don't let him load anymore..LOL http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=827

I bought these in 2011. Still have them but I'm not impressed. Cuts on both (no screws on my run rail), faded on a boat that is kept in the garage any time we aren't on the water. Mine "should" still look new with the lift they have lived yet are about in need of replacement.

I bought these in 2011. Still have them but I'm not impressed. Cuts on both (no screws on my run rail), faded on a boat that is kept in the garage any time we aren't on the water. Mine "should" still look new with the lift they have lived yet are about in need of replacement.

I had my last set for 3 years, I think one or two rips , Fading is normal but at least they lasted longer the the stock one's I just seam to replace about every 2 to 3 years,

I beat the crap out of our guide pole pads with early season riding when the river is high and the current is moving fast. You've got to come in fast or you're in trouble. I'd much rather replace guide pole pads every other year than replace under water gear cause I got spun around at the ramp.

• 1 month later...
On January 22, 2016 at 3:15 PM, jetskipro550 said:

I beat the crap out of our guide pole pads with early season riding when the river is high and the current is moving fast. You've got to come in fast or you're in trouble. I'd much rather replace guide pole pads every other year than replace under water gear cause I got spun around at the ramp.

I second this. I replaced my pads 2 yrs ago and promptly shredded them with a hit while my son was trailering in a high and fast river.

• 2 months later...

My boat came with shredded Malibu branded guide pole pads.  I took them off and considered replacing them but since my trailer is outside during the summer I figured my new ones would just fade the same way.  My guide poles were covered with black pvc pipe that didn't look bad so I just left them.  I wouldn't be able to live with exposed white pipe but the black is ok.  I only boat on lakes so as long as it's not super windy I don't bump the poles much if at all. 

Edited by Gavin17