Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

installing TACO quick release fender/dock line to my A22

JohnnyDefacto

Anyone with a 2009-2014 A22 that has installed these? I ordered my boat without the pop up cleats because i disliked the factory location that year and was going to install my own once I figured out where I needed them. 4 years later I am finally ready to install something, and when I was on my buddies 2016 VTX the other day, his boat had these TACO quick connects, so I ordered them. Now I just need someone who has these on their A22 to chime in and give me their experience.

here they are, I am installing 2 on each side, most likely very close to the factory position of the pop-up cleats on the A22's

http://tacomarine.com/product/F16-0151-1/Quick-Release-Fender-Lock

They look pretty cool.

Do you need them on both sides of the boat? I would say that you are the one that needs to decide where they should go based on what you need them for.

I would probably put all 4 on one side of the boat.

They might be handy for when we tie up to other boats, will have to ponder if they are worth the 48$.

• Like 1

Pop up cleats and Taco quick disconnects are for two very different purposes. Don't tie your dock lines to the Taco. I would not install them on a boat that is under warranty.

ahopkins22LSV

Pop up cleats and Taco quick disconnects are for two very different purposes. Don't tie your dock lines to the Taco. I would not install them on a boat that is under warranty.

:plus1:

Those are just for hanging fenders from. Not tying up. They can be handy but idk if I would add them to my boat.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Look pretty slick, but like others said, you can't tie off.

Also, not sure about your crew, but I wouldn't want a metal bolt hanging off my fenders as someone is trying to pop them in place. But these do look better than the Perko ones I had on my old boat.

The problem I had with easy fender locators is you cannot adjust the height of your fenders if you are tying up to something different...dock vs another boat vs house boat. Also if a fender gets lost, you have to buy the whole assembly again.

If it were me I'd install spring loaded pop up cleats in the location you desire.

Thanks for all your advice. I went and finished the install this week, I put 2 on each side. I have my fenders set on the pins at the exact height I always use. I have never run into a situation that when tying off I needed a different height. Not that it will never happen, I just have not experienced it. Plus I do not tie of very often, rarely really. When I do it is in calm water either floating in a bay with another boat or two, or tying off at my dock which is really calm. I am confident after looking and installing these that I will be able to use them for tying off at my dock and the rare times I tie off at other docks.

I will report back this summer after I get to use it a lot.

Yep, pics or it never happened! ;)

The problem I ever had with them is guys mounted them so low that the bumper hung below the rub rail. Then if you tie up to a dock or boat that is taller than your own, their worthless.I hang my big bumpers high enough that they protect above & below the rub rail.

The exception to this is the hippity hop bumpers like Exile has been selling. Their so big around that it almost doesn't matter how high or low they hang, they still do a good job of keeping some distance between two boats.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Okay here are the pictures. Sorry it took so long but yesterday was the first day I got to ride after I installed them. So pumped on these things. I used the locations that I have been using with these fenders for a year now, seemed to work out well for me in the past so I went with it. Worked out very well yesterday.

A concern was raised about a metal object possibly scratching the boat when trying to plug it in... you can see in the pic there is a plastic cover just for this reason.

I tied off the fender with smaller line on the hub of the pin, and used the swiveling ring to attach the bigger fender lines. The lines are 10' long and have never needed any more line than that. If I ever do need more line for some reason, I have the bight end opposite of the pin so that I can just weave in another line or use a carabiner to add line.

You can see the front and rear locations. All that is visible when the pins are not installed are the chrome receptacles. You can see that they are smaller than my bilge/ballast through-hulls.

Most of the pull on the lines will be a side load, around 75-80 degrees, so I do not see any issue with these pins.... time will tell of course, but I do not tie up in rough water, so I doubt I will be able to ever test their limits.

Finally, the fenders are tied off with an overhand knot, at a length that the top of the fender is up against the underside of my rub rail. This has been a great method on my boat when tying off with other boats or at docks of many different heights. I do have a few deflated hippity hops in my boat that are great to use when tying to another boat that has a different height rub rail, mainly the new boats with really high freeboards. If i need to raise my fenders at all, I have accounted for that as well. All I have to do is tie another over hand knot a little bit higher on my fender line and I will gain a few inches to get the top of my fender up above the rub rail.

post-18409-0-18058200-1454191024_thumb.j

post-18409-0-56202800-1454191040_thumb.j

post-18409-0-35074100-1454191051_thumb.j

post-18409-0-14607800-1454191060_thumb.j

post-18409-0-51019500-1454191072_thumb.j

• Like 2

So if you tie up to a taller boat or dock, you are unprotected.

Not necessarily. I have tied up to many docks and many boats and this fender position has worked in all those situations. I imagine there will be docks and boats in the future that my fender height may not be optimal, but that is where the ability to quickly raise these fenders anywhere from 1" to 6" higher will come into play. And if that is not sufficient, as highly unlikely that is, I have 4 hippity hops at my disposal. For what I do 99% of the time, this is perfect. I love how quick they are, how clean they look compared to the big ugly pop up cleats, and how easily they were to install (the cleaner, "flush mounted" pop up cleats, which were not very flush, require drilling and cutting with the template. These TACO's were just a single 3/4" hole)

I really like the idea for fenders, but for tying up to a dock or anther boat, I wouldn't trust that 3/4" hole. It seems like there's too much force on those lines, especially at the angles you stated, for that small of an anchor point to work properly. I'd be worried about stress cracks in the gel and/or fiberglass.

I know you said you only tie up in calm water, but all it takes is one boat to come by and send a big wake into you and it could rip those things right out the side of your boat.

.... compared to the big ugly pop up cleats, and how easily they were to install (the cleaner, "flush mounted" pop up cleats, which were not very flush, require drilling and cutting with the template. These TACO's were just a single 3/4" hole)

Who uses popup cleats for bumpers??

Their too low too. :Doh:

• 4 weeks later...

I personally think you are crazy to tie off to the dock with those, crawl in your boat and look at the size of the connection for the pop up cleats, one bigger wave and you are gonna have some serious gelcoat damage, even on the website there is no mention of using them for dock lines. just don't wanna see you wreck your boat.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:28 AM, dukesofhazzard said:

I personally think you are crazy to tie off to the dock with those, crawl in your boat and look at the size of the connection for the pop up cleats, one bigger wave and you are gonna have some serious gelcoat damage, even on the website there is no mention of using them for dock lines. just don't wanna see you wreck your boat.

I agree but think a small plate (something like 3" x 5") glued to the inside of the hull would keep them from damaging anything...

So i have used my boat about 5 times since the install and I am very happy with them.  All my friends love how easy and quick they are, and how clean and un noticeable as well.  I understand your concern about big chop and rollers, but I assure you, I am not tying off EVER in big water.  I have never tied off to a dock or another boat in any water other than flat or light wind. I do not boat in big water. When the rollers come out, we head in.  

If I had pop ups already, then I would probably not install these and would use the pop ups only. Malibu uses both pop ups and these TACO locks which is pretty nice, the TACO's have the Malibu logo on them too.

• 4 weeks later...
On February 27, 2016 at 7:28 AM, dukesofhazzard said:

Boat Bow eyes, and transom u-bolts, are commonly 1/2" or 3/8", and our boats are anchored to those, towed by other boats and pulled behind houseboats, and most of our boats have been lifted vertically from those bolts.... I do not see where two separate 3/4" holes that are used to tie a floating, non moving boat to a floating, non moving dock or boat is any issue, even in very choppy water.  I will update as the years go bye, hopefully with all good news. :salute: