Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'14+ 23 LSV sub install

NCSurfing

Hey guys. Been browsing threads but couldn't find the detail I was after. For those of you that did sub boxes at the helm, how did you determine fit? Jonyb will be building mine however, since he's in KY and myself in NC, I have to template it for him and I want it to be tight. Any tips or suggestions about how to get to best determine fit? Thx in advance...

Most make a cardboard template and get the dimensions that way. You won't be disappointed in johns work! His customer service is second to none. There's a reason people drive 6+ hours for his business.

Most make a cardboard template and get the dimensions that way. You won't be disappointed in johns work! His customer service is second to none. There's a reason people drive 6+ hours for his business.

Figured as much...was hoping someone had gone thru it and could share some dimensions/tips.

Clearly you know John as well...he and I have been friends for a few years now and has been giving me guidance on how to build a mack daddy system thus, I do business with him whenever I can. I just wished I lived closer....

I'll do some digging around and will see if I can find some threads to help you more. Maybe David, or another member who has done this will chime in. What sub are you going use? That will help.

NCS,

This is how I would proceed.

Designing an enclosure that has dimensions that fit the boat perfectly, is a complex shape, and is the precise internal displacement, is a job that is best left to the guy building the box.

So as the boat owner creating a cardboard template, marking the side to side fit (a to a, b to b, etc.), dismantling it, and shipping it off to the builder, I would be concerned with the following:

The maximum dimensions that will fit rather than the exact dimensions.

Room underneath to elevate the enclosure and clear any floor cables and hoses, plus, room for mounting provisions.

Adequate leg room with room for the cover façade.

Proof that it will insert into the under helm cavity and clear all obstacles.

Then let the dealer reduce the box or modify the shape per the dimensions required for a particular woofer and within the context of the 'max' template.

In searching around you may find that the largest version of a Malibu sub enclosure is the backwards 'Z' shape with a slight appendage on both lower L & upper R sides. You can expand upon that size by adding compound angles but that really complicates things and may be best left to when the boat is in the builder's possession.

This is the way that Odin with Earmark Marine does it for his customers. Check in with John as he may have an alternate method that he prefers and fill in some more of the details.

I'll do some digging around and will see if I can find some threads to help you more. Maybe David, or another member who has done this will chime in. What sub are you going use? That will help.

That would be great - much appreciated. I've got the WetSounds xxx (v1)

NCS,

This is how I would proceed.

Designing an enclosure that has dimensions that fit the boat perfectly, is a complex shape, and is the precise internal displacement, is a job that is best left to the guy building the box.

So as the boat owner creating a cardboard template, marking the side to side fit (a to a, b to b, etc.), dismantling it, and shipping it off to the builder, I would be concerned with the following:

The maximum dimensions that will fit rather than the exact dimensions.

Room underneath to elevate the enclosure and clear any floor cables and hoses, plus, room for mounting provisions.

Adequate leg room with room for the cover façade.

Proof that it will insert into the under helm cavity and clear all obstacles.

Then let the dealer reduce the box or modify the shape per the dimensions required for a particular woofer and within the context of the 'max' template.

In searching around you may find that the largest version of a Malibu sub enclosure is the backwards 'Z' shape with a slight appendage on both lower L & upper R sides. You can expand upon that size by adding compound angles but that really complicates things and may be best left to when the boat is in the builder's possession.

This is the way that Odin with Earmark Marine does it for his customers. Check in with John as he may have an alternate method that he prefers and fill in some more of the details.

Thanks David...very methodical and therefore quite useful. I've got a box that John built me for my old supra (basic box as per WeSounds spec) thus, I've got a good sense of the displacement. Will give it a try with cardboard...

In a perfect world, John would get a late model 23 LSV to his shop sometime in the next 3 months so I can just tell him to build 2 :).

Edited by NCSurfing

Where is John's shop located?

If you're anywhere within driving distance this is who I reccomend. Went completely out of his way on my truck stereo to make sure the panels on my sub box match the interior of my truck. To be honest, with my next boat I'm going to drop it off and let him surprise me. He knows what I like and I would have absolutely no worries of the outcome. A+ work.

Thanks fellas! I appreciate all the positive comments.

Shawn, it's funny you and Chase are talking, Chase had the blue 23LSV we built with about 2 million blue lights. We also built the enclosure under the helm for 2 12L7's that I was telling you about, it was like 10# of bologna in a 3# bag. Or like yoga pants in McDonalds.

• 4 weeks later...

A local client (still 2 hours away) just bought a new LSV, so hopefully I'll have his sometime soon to take some measurements.

Hi Jonyb

Please contact me once you do. Just picked up a 2015 LSV and it doesn't have a sub. I gonna need a box too.

Hi Jonyb

Please contact me once you do. Just picked up a 2015 LSV and it doesn't have a sub. I gonna need a box too.

Gotcha! I got with the owner of that boat, but he's more concerned with upgrades on his tritoon first. I hope I'll win him over soon. I've got access to his shop where the boat will be once it's delivered so I'll try to at least get some measurements.

Isn't MLA in NC? It's not like sub boxes are rocket science. Why not support someone local to you?

Im not sure...in fact, I didn't even realize he had his own gig - I'll ask him as I know a few local guys who are asking.

I hear you about supporting local shops (I won't buy off the internet) however, in my case John is a personal friend and has been doing my work for years thus, I will always go to him first and if he thinks we are making it too difficult, he will encourage me to go local as he knows how important this is.

Valid point Shawn (*doggy), I've sent Shawn (NCSurfing) to local places for parts when he's needed them quickly or I didn't have something. He has family in Nashville, which is a little South of me. He stops in every few months when he's down this way. Never drags the boat here since it's so far away. Probably gonna catch him at Tail of the Dragon this Summer with our CTS-V's.