Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 VLX Audio Questions

ctvandy23

Hmmmm... I'd say he's probably wrong, but what do I know about reselling Malibus?

I think he's also wrong to think that building from scratch is more work than starting with factory and "tweaking." I guess it depends on his definition of "tweaking." If it involves new amps and a new subwoofer I'd argue it's more work. Remember, I've done both.

And with the EQ he's gonna end up with two master volume knobs, further complicating the user experience... "Honey, which one turns the music down?" Or completely messing up the speed sensitive volume settings. Not to mention with the EQ he will have effectively bypassed the factory system anyway, presuming he uses AUX or BT plugged into said EQ (and he will, I think we all know that). Isn't paying for a factory system then bypassing it with an EQ just a more expensive version of stereo delete??

Ok. Enough from me already. I've said too much. Trust your dealer. They have no reason to mislead you.

I agree with this, I've found the weak link in my system is the RF black box. I've had more issues with this thing freaking out and starting to blink, then having to turn off the boat and batteries to reset it. It's a piece of crap, I'd rather just use my 420 then have to deal with it.

I also disagree that it helps resale, Malibu has one of the worst stock systems in the industry. The people that don't care about the stereo won't care either way, the people who do will see it as a plus that the crap RF stuff is gone and they don't have to do it themsleves

Edited by CJAY

What would be the cost difference between a full stock system (inboats, sub, towers) versus a professionally installed after market system (Exile or Wet Sounds)?

Not sure what % off MSRP should be assumed but this is what I have for stock components.

Sound System - Wake 23 LSV Pack (8 in spkrs) $3,522.00

Subwoofer - 12 inch Rockford Subwoofer (w/amp) $907.00

Black-Speakers - Wet Sounds Rev8 (1 set) $1,933.00

Black-Speakers - Wet Sounds Rev8 (2nd set) $1,833.00

Tower Amp - 500w $855.00

Total: $9050.00

I assume cost would be part of the decision for buyers.

Edited by Josh4mc

I have one of the absolute last 15's produced. A lot of the issues IXFE mentions have been addressed some have not.

1. Yes only Viper BT from factory. It does now remember devices and it connects automatically. Range is decent I have not had a problem losing sync.

2. I completely agree fade function should be on every screen. It is missing on the most used function BT????

3. syncs to only one device. ALL of my cars sync to multiple devices, you assign priority, to change devices is simple. On the boat you have to disconnect, then pair the new device. PITA!

4. Completely agree HD/Satellite should be included although I would never use it, most lakes I go to don't get radio, and in the canyons no satellite either. But I see the benefits to the masses.

5. Mine has even been noise free. I don't doubt there were issues, if there wasn't there would not have been a mid year revision.

6. As for full custom vs modified factory. Personal preference. Again you spend the $$$ to make factory what you want, sub, towers, etc. You likely could have went full custom for roughly the same money. I think we can all agree the factory sub is a joke.

7. Why does factory only offer 8" towers? The REV10 is so much better than the 8's.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

I totally understand the idea about going full stereo delete...and perhaps I am destined to repeat the mistakes of others who have gone before me however I look at it like this;

1. I love great audio however I do not have the energy to do a full system from scratch and I'm not interested in paying someone else to do what I could do if time and energy were not at issue. So that being said I will add and tweak until I am satisfied with the improvement in sound, understanding it may not be top of the line audiophile grade.

2. I really believe and I may be wrong, but having stock intergration is a plus at resale. I know plenty of boaters who could care less about the audio or Bluetooth, just that their very expensive touch screen works as it should.

3. I spoke to my dealer about Bluetooth connectivity and function issues with RF black box and Viper. He claims no problemson his 15 VLX and that he has installed all available updates.

4. Whether Bluetooth works or not I will get one of the IPod/IPhone cable and connect that to the back of the black box and also route a long aux cable from the glove box under the floor and up to the phone cradle.

5. Noise issues...understood! Based on the advise of other here already I plan on installing some form of EQ, whether it be an Audio Control EQS or WS420. My hope is this will elimate any noise and tweak the system' transforming a blah system into a better system.

I don't plan on settling or wishing problems away. At this point after all the advise I would like to consider this a challenge, possibly foolhardy, but a challenge nevertheless! Either way, when the time comes and the tweaking is over I will honestly report back with pictures on the outcome. May the force be with me...LOL

I have to disagree with you that a factory system will draw more value over a custom matched system when you sell the boat. Having a custom installed system that functions flawlessly and just works all the time is worth its weight in gold. The ZLD/420 EQs are simple to use and provide solid bluetooth connectivity. When a buyer hears the word "custom" it makes people feel like they are getting something special, above and beyond what Malibu can offer. And the reality of it is any Wetsounds/Exile system will blow the doors off the factory Malibu stereo system (exception of M235). You are going to end up with a mismatched system pieced together that would send red flags if I were looking at your boat. I would think why did he have to install a 420 EQ if this touch screen setup is so good? You are defeating the factory touchscreen integration with installing an EQ, right?.

To each is own, best of luck to you but I think your asking for a lot of headaches.

So added ballast sacs on top of the hard tanks would be a red flag indicating its a crappy boat cause it needed more than the OEM weight? ;)

I dont see a pre-amp EQ or other zone controller defeating a touch screen integration. It still functions as it did before and as a whole, the added component enhances user friendliness. One could choose to no longer use the touch screen/head-unit remotes and solely use the Zone control/EQ if they wanted though.

It also depends on the EQ used. I used the EQS to maintain all of the factory integration without having a separate volume control.

It still allows separation of tower and in boats controlled via the fade function. It does provide 3 individual EQ for tower/sub/in boats.

The one and only one downside is you cannot fade from viper 2. But that to me is no big deal, as once you set it for your activity you are not going to touch it again until you change activities. Riding/cruising/floating

Edited by DarkSide

Am I the only one who thinks it's lame that the sport knob is digital and has just enough latency built into it to drive a guy nuts? It's like the TV remote in a hotel... You press the channel button and the system responds one second later.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's lame that the sport knob doesn't skip tracks from Viper 2? Or that the transom remote doesn't work either?

And finally, am really the only one who doesn't understand why artist and title only display on the screen with certain sources (eg Sirius)?

MLA,

I'm not sure how we got sideways again. I don't mind difference of opinion. And I'm not offended by Internet banter from strangers.

Now, back on topic. I wasn't trying to change off the noise discussion. I framed it that way because the OP is about whether or not to order factory system. Any and all reasons are in play. My first reply addressed both noise and functionality. You and I have clearly had different experiences with the former. We've both acknowledged this. By setting the noise stuff aside, I was simply attempting to get your take on the latter. I'm honestly curious if you think the user experience is up to par with a high end factory automotive system. I wasn't trying to change the discussion as functionality has always been a big part of the discussion, just as it is for any consumer electronic device/system.

When I referenced a source that doesn't route through the BB, I was referring specifically to Viper 2. It's been a year since I pulled my '15 apart, but if memory serves Viper 2 does not connect into the BB like the other traditional sources (aux, RF Bluetooth, iPod, Sirius, USB, etc). This is why Viper 2 doesn't respond to transome remote. Again, my memory is fuzzy on this. I actually documented all the wiring in and out of the BB last year. Sure wish I could find that paper now!

I think you misunderstood my comment about USB ports at the helm. Let me clarify. I am not suggesting that the same USB port used for firmware updates also be used as a music port. However, I am suggesting that if Malibu is going to put not one, but two USB ports in plain site at the helm that customers are going to assume they are for audio/video. This has actually been discussed at length on TMC. That's how it works in every car on the road today. Malibu could have very easily wired it that way and tucked the service USB in a hidden location under the dash.

And finally, you may not be an Apple user but they sell a lot of iPhones (43% of the smartphone market). It's been 4 years since they moved off the 30 pin connector. And yet that's the only way to hard wire an iPhone in the 2016 Malibus. This is both a BB limitation (it's not lighting compatible) and a Malibu failure for staying with RF and even doubling down by engineering their new 15+ system around RF. I think they probably assume that because 30 pin is obsolete and Bluetooth is standard, they don't have to provide the cable (like they used to). Fair enough. But now you have a useless Apple input in the glove box and no way to hardwire an iPhone. It's just odd to me. Feels like Malibu cheesed out there.

Okay. Enough from me. Again, sorry for annoying you. I really was trying to get your take.