Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 VLX Audio Questions

ctvandy23

I agree with almost everything in this thread. I am one of the guys who is happy with the factory system, EXCEPT subwoofer, and towers. The factory system desperately needs a tune.

The second reason people see a huge improvement when they add 420 or equivalent is the black box is not feeding the amps appropriately. Adding a line driver EQ makes a HUGE difference to the factory syatem.

I can appreciate a top notch audio system, however I am happy with the modified factory. It sounds very good but definitely not audiophile. Would I really be able to hear the symbols shimmer over the roar of the supercharger? I wouldn't, others may be able to but I am not one of them. With the new ford's and tranny gear ratio you will be hearing that engine screaming at 4k all day. I wanted something to overpower that and sound decent doing it. Audiophile never entered into my equation, for those reasons. If I am on the water we are riding, we don't do much down time.

I also like the factory integration, the automatic volume control has gotten much better than the older 3 step and works well for ME, others may not like it. Just my $.02

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

Just found out that I have till Friday to finalize/confirm my order...definitely going to keep the RF system so I can keep the stock integration but probably going to skip RF sub. At this point I'm leaning towards Exile. Love WS but prices are more than I would like to spend, but not ruling them out yet. Deleting RF Sub saves me about $700 so I will use that plus some to go custom. To assist in my final decision can anyone offer advice/answers to the following;

1. Is the stock sub enclosure used by the RF an actual sub enclosure or is it just the space below dash/helm?

2. If you kept the stock RF what did you do to improve the sub enclosure?

3. Anyone install The Exile Xi12D sub in a VLX, built a custom box and have those dimensions? I don't have a heater so no hoses in the way...I assume

4. Anyone install WS XS12, what amp did they pair it with, custom box and dimensions?

5. Photos of open area beneath the helm?

Any and all input welcome!

I have the Exile Xi12D sub, imho its rocks and sounds great... infact my entire system is Exile. And no I am not a fanboy because I have had both Wetsounds and Exile, both are very nice components. You won't regret going with Exile, and I will agree that you get more for your money with Exile. I used the Javelin amp to power inboat speakers and sub, a nice combo. Below are some pics of my install.

Here is the sub box I used, works great and almost a perfect fit for the VLX, it is the perfect spec for the Xi12D sub:

https://jet.com/product/detail/2ac7859a88694d53b95a33ba788eec42?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_vehicles_parts_a2:vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_electronics_motor_vehicle_subwoofers_a2_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=6bcba606-893b-471e-b5df-7522c5cdcde9&abkId=403-904158&gclid=Cj0KEQiAz5y1BRDZ4Z_K_eGa84cBEiQAtQkeaElA5yseNhyQSF094CHlw6mw1eyn8-Dqx2R2ikcILMoaAmbH8P8HAQ

20150223_151934_zpsxzy4tfkv.jpg

20150223_175308_zps9u6feqaj.jpg

20150219_154119_zps6rgmtn1c.jpg

20150218_160255_zpszvvbm2oe.jpg

20150216_150659_zpsxibvr9bc.jpg

20150212_163625-1_zpsa9rtqqs7.jpg

Edited by Fman

Fman thanks for pics and box info. Did you reuse the stock carpet and panel? Are those two black circles next to sub heater vents? I thought I saw in another post that you had some feedback when engine running...is that still happening? reason?

I had my gains adjusted too high which was causing feedback when engine was running, the feedback had nothing to do with any of the components. Keep in mind this was my first stereo install, so it was a learning process for me. I did go with mid grade RCA cables for amps I would recommend going with a higher end shielded RCA cable, especially with all the electronic components on these boats. I would still try and director you to go with a stereo delete, get a completely matched system, but that is just my opinion.

I did re-use the stock kick panel and there are two heater vents that will pop out of the panel. I went max hose length to reach back area of the boat.

20150223_175452_zpsib2omrhx.jpg

Edited by Fman

Just found out that I have till Friday to finalize/confirm my order...definitely going to keep the RF system so I can keep the stock integration but probably going to skip RF sub. At this point I'm leaning towards Exile. Love WS but prices are more than I would like to spend, but not ruling them out yet. Deleting RF Sub saves me about $700 so I will use that plus some to go custom. To assist in my final decision can anyone offer advice/answers to the following;

1. Is the stock sub enclosure used by the RF an actual sub enclosure or is it just the space below dash/helm?

3. Anyone install The Exile Xi12D sub in a VLX, built a custom box and have those dimensions? I don't have a heater so no hoses in the way...I assume

4. Anyone install WS XS12, what amp did they pair it with, custom box and dimensions?

1) "enclosure" is a very loose term to describe what it is. its a piece of .75" x 8 HDPE with routed slots so it can be folded around into something. Then another piece is stapled on as a back, then its all stapled to the facade. The wire goes through a hole. Dont know they drill another hole for the wire, just use one of the gaps left between the other pieces. Screen door on a submarine comes to mind.

2) Build a proper sealed enclosure thats .8-1.0 ft3

3) & 4) Both those woofers will need an enclosure thats pretty close. 1.4 gross sealed or 2.0 gross ported. Ported will likely require some non right angles. For the XS-12, the Syn-2 is a great amp, bridged on 2 chnls of an SD-6, bridged on 2 chnl of an Arc audio XDi1200.6 just to name a couple.500W rms is a good min and up to 1000W rms max. I like the XS-12 because it has a 100% composite cone. No pulp or cellulose thats laminated on the front. Rubber surround and spider, powder costed aluminum basket and enclosed motor with gold plated terminals. Its truly build as marine woofer.

I've been meaning to chime in on this thread. With a Friday deadline looming, I guess now is the time, huh?

I have tried just about every option you are considering on a Malibu.

• 2012 VLX - Factory RF cabins, sub, and amps. Then added 4 Exile XM9's on the tower.
  • 2013 VLX - Factory stereo delete. Fresh Exile build with 4 XM9's on the tower and Xi12d in a sealed box under the helm.
  • 2014 LSV - Factory stereo delete. Fresh Exile build with 4 XM9's on the tower and Xi12d in a ported box under the helm (see thread here)
  • 2015 LSV - Factory RF cabins, amps, and WS Rev8's on the tower. Installed Exile Big12 win a ported box under the helm and replaced all the factory RF amps with 4 Exile amps (see thread here)

Last year my thinking was EXACTLY like yours.... just get the factory system and add a proper sub. I did this for two reasons: 1) I wanted factory integration, and 2) I figured modifying the factory RF system with new amps and a sub would be easier than building a system from scratch

I was mistaken on BOTH accounts. Not only was the factory integration a BIG letdown, but the project was more challenging than I thought it would be.

Here's the thing... you gotta break down that base factory RF package and really question if you're happy with what you get, because you're paying $3,433 MSRP for it (or some nominal discount off that):

• RF Black Box
  • Viper 2 Bluetooth
  • RF Cabin Speakers
  • RF Amp
  • Integration

When I looked at that list the only thing I really wanted was the integration. I figured it would be cool to have my stereo controls built into the small screen on the right. I thought from there I'd have full control of my sources (bluetooth, xm, etc.) and I'd be able to use the fader to shift volume between tower and cabin (which is critical on a boat). I also liked the idea of having the sport knob on the left as master volume controller. Also it can be used to skip from song to song, right? Oh and you can mute the volume with that knob too. Magic! Finally, I was stoked at the prospect of being able to see what songs are playing on my screen. So yeah, factory integration was key for me. The rest of the stuff on that list was either going to be replaced or I didn't put any value on it. I agonized for weeks. If I didn't value all the RF componants, was factory integration really worth $3k...? I swallowed hard and checked the box on my order. That was my first mistake.

So what happened...? Well, the system as delivered from the factory had so much background noise I ended up installing an EQ (which I had not planned) just to bypass the RF black box. I also had to add a separate BT receiver to connect directly to that EQ. My plan was to use that set up for when we use the phones as source (most of the time). But I tried to salvage some of the value of the factory system by plugging a Sirius XM tuner into the RF black box. I figured that would be okay since I wasn't using the crappy factory BT in that scenario. Wrong... still tons of background noise. I really wanted to avoid an EQ because that introduced a second master volume knob into the equation. But the noise was just so annoying I had to. There are some on this forum that will tell you there is no background noise with the factory RF system. But I promise you I am not the only one who had issues with the factory RF system last year (read this thread from user pkh). My dealer also experienced other complaints. I even talked to the factory and they admitted to me this was an issue with many (but not all) of the boats. All they could say to me was "sorry."

Anyway, let's set the noise issues aside and just talk about that integration you're so excited about. Did you know that you cannot access the fade, balance, treble, or bass controls on the screen while using the factory (aka Viper 2) bluetooth as your source? Did you also know that while using Viper 2 the next / prev track capability of the sport joy stick doesn't work? Or if you have a transom remote it's the same deal... while in Viper 2 (the source you will use 99% of time) none of it will work. So basically unless you use a source that plugs directly into the RF blackbox (e.g. usb stick in the glove box), that big knob on the dash is useless for anything besides volume. And it's a pretty crummy volume knob to begin with. Why you ask? Because it's not an analog knob like it pretends to be. It's a digital knob where you can feel the indents with each turn. Each of those indents is really just like pushing a digital volume button over and over again. Don't spin the knob to fast or you'll get ahead of the system's ability to process your inputs. Then you get to wait for the system to catch (i.e. latency for something as simple as volume control). Also, only some of the factory sources will actually display song and title on the screen.... can't remember which ones, but it's hit and miss...

Trust me... you do not want to spend $3K on that kind of integration. After two years of going "stereo delete" I bought into the integration last year just like you are tempted to do. Well, after one year of it, guess what I ordered for this year??? That's right, back to STEREO DELETE.

I've been meaning to chime in on this thread. With a Friday deadline looming, I guess now is the time, huh?

I have tried just about every option you are considering on a Malibu.

• 2012 VLX - Factory RF cabins, sub, and amps. Then added 4 Exile XM9's on the tower.
  • 2013 VLX - Factory stereo delete. Fresh Exile build with 4 XM9's on the tower and Xi12d in a sealed box under the helm.
  • 2014 LSV - Factory stereo delete. Fresh Exile build with 4 XM9's on the tower and Xi12d in a ported box under the helm (see thread here)
  • 2015 LSV - Factory RF cabins, amps, and WS Rev8's on the tower. Installed Exile Big12 win a ported box under the helm and replaced all the factory RF amps with 4 Exile amps (see thread here)

Last year my thinking was EXACTLY like yours.... just get the factory system and add a proper sub. I did this for two reasons: 1) I wanted factory integration, and 2) I figured modifying the factory RF system with new amps and a sub would be easier than building a system from scratch

I was mistaken on BOTH accounts. Not only was the factory integration a BIG letdown, but the project was more challenging than I thought it would be.

Here's the thing... you gotta break down that base factory RF package and really question if you're happy with what you get, because you're paying $3,433 MSRP for it (or some nominal discount off that):

• RF Black Box
  • Viper 2 Bluetooth
  • RF Cabin Speakers
  • RF Amp
  • Integration

When I looked at that list the only thing I really wanted was the integration. I figured it would be cool to have my stereo controls built into the small screen on the right. I thought from there I'd have full control of my sources (bluetooth, xm, etc.) and I'd be able to use the fader to shift volume between tower and cabin (which is critical on a boat). I also liked the idea of having the sport knob on the left as master volume controller. Also it can be used to skip from song to song, right? Oh and you can mute the volume with that knob too. Magic! Finally, I was stoked at the prospect of being able to see what songs are playing on my screen. So yeah, factory integration was key for me. The rest of the stuff on that list was either going to be replaced or I didn't put any value on it. I agonized for weeks. If I didn't value all the RF componants, was factory integration really worth $3k...? I swallowed hard and checked the box on my order. That was my first mistake.

So what happened...? Well, the system as delivered from the factory had so much background noise I ended up installing an EQ (which I had not planned) just to bypass the RF black box. I also had to add a separate BT receiver to connect directly to that EQ. My plan was to use that set up for when we use the phones as source (most of the time). But I tried to salvage some of the value of the factory system by plugging a Sirius XM tuner into the RF black box. I figured that would be okay since I wasn't using the crappy factory BT in that scenario. Wrong... still tons of background noise. I really wanted to avoid an EQ because that introduced a second master volume knob into the equation. But the noise was just so annoying I had to. There are some on this forum that will tell you there is no background noise with the factory RF system. But I promise you I am not the only one who had issues with the factory RF system last year (read this thread from user pkh). My dealer also experienced other complaints. I even talked to the factory and they admitted to me this was an issue with many (but not all) of the boats. All they could say to me was "sorry."

Anyway, let's set the noise issues aside and just talk about that integration you're so excited about. Did you know that you cannot access the fade, balance, treble, or bass controls on the screen while using the factory (aka Viper 2) bluetooth as your source? Did you also know that while using Viper 2 the next / prev track capability of the sport joy stick doesn't work? Or if you have a transom remote it's the same deal... while in Viper 2 (the source you will use 99% of time) none of it will work. So basically unless you use a source that plugs directly into the RF blackbox (e.g. usb stick in the glove box), that big knob on the dash is useless for anything besides volume. And it's a pretty crummy volume knob to begin with. Why you ask? Because it's not an analog knob like it pretends to be. It's a digital knob where you can feel the indents with each turn. Each of those indents is really just like pushing a digital volume button over and over again. Don't spin the knob to fast or you'll get ahead of the system's ability to process your inputs. Then you get to wait for the system to catch (i.e. latency for something as simple as volume control). Also, only some of the factory sources will actually display song and title on the screen.... can't remember which ones, but it's hit and miss...

Trust me... you do not want to spend $3K on that kind of integration. After two years of going "stereo delete" I bought into the integration last year just like you are tempted to do. Well, after one year of it, guess what I ordered for this year??? That's right, back to STEREO DELETE.

IXFE,thanks for the rundown... and yet I still don't know why I cant let go!

A couple of additional points to keep in mind if you go stereo delete...

As skyskier alluded to way earlier in this thread, the factory rockford speakers are actually pretty decent if you power them right. And I don't think the 8s were even factory at the point that Skyskier did his comparison... he's just talking about the 6.5s. The Rockford 8s sound pretty darn good if you power them well (i.e. about double factory power).

So why am I raising that issue in the context of a stereo delete? Well it never fails that come spring time somebody wants to upgrade their "lame" factory system on a brand new boat and takes out the full set of rockford speakers to sell here for super cheap. If you could get all four pair for say $500 +/-, you'd be way ahead of the game financially.

One other point to make... the walkthrough speakers are an absolute and total waste. They do nothing unless you are sitting on the floor in the walkthrough and wearing them like headphones. Otherwise it's totally impossible to hear more than one of them at a time. This is especially true if you have 4x8s in the cabin, which will totally overpower the muffled sound from the walkthrough. If you are doing a DIY install, I'd strongly recommend relocating those speakers to better favor the captain, or just skipping them altogether.

• Like 2

IXFE,thanks for the rundown... and yet I still don't know why I cant let go!

Well, it's your money. Give it a whirl and maybe you'll have better luck than I did with the background noise.

The lack of "integration" and poor functionality I spoke of will be there whether you wish it away or not. The "user experience" is just not good. And it really stands out now that the rest of the experience at the helm is so dynamite.

A couple of additional points to keep in mind if you go stereo delete...

As skyskier alluded to way earlier in this thread, the factory rockford speakers are actually pretty decent if you power them right. And I don't think the 8s were even factory at the point that Skyskier did his comparison... he's just talking about the 6.5s. The Rockford 8s sound pretty darn good if you power them well (i.e. about double factory power).

So why am I raising that issue in the context of a stereo delete? Well it never fails that come spring time somebody wants to upgrade their "lame" factory system on a brand new boat and takes out the full set of rockford speakers to sell here for super cheap. If you could get all four pair for say $500 +/-, you'd be way ahead of the game financially.

One other point to make... the walkthrough speakers are an absolute and total waste. They do nothing unless you are sitting on the floor in the walkthrough and wearing them like headphones. Otherwise it's totally impossible to hear more than one of them at a time. This is especially true if you have 4x8s in the cabin, which will totally overpower the muffled sound from the walkthrough. If you are doing a DIY install, I'd strongly recommend relocating those speakers to better favor the captain, or just skipping them altogether.

Shawn speaks the truth... the 8" Rockfords are not bad when properly powered.

• In my '14 LSV stereo delete boat, I did just as Shawn says above... I found a TMC member (lerch) who was pulling his brand new 6.5" and 8" Rockfords out. He sold all eight to me for a song! I did this because Exile did not have their 8" speaker released yet.
  • In my '15 LSV I kept the factory 6.5" and 8" Rockfords rather than throw them out. I was okay with this because my experience in '14 taught me what Shawn is telling you... they sound pretty good as long as you give them power.... like 80-100 watts each.

That said... just because the RF 8's are decent is no reason to buy the $3k factory sound package. Even if you can't get the RF cabin speakers from a member taking theirs out, you can always buy them from Ebay for about $600 brand new. This is a nice way to go if you want to maintain the Factory look in your cabin.

SD and IXFE how much power are you guys running to cabins? I think the Javelin throws 75w to each speaker. It's so loud we don't ever crank them full tilt. Can't imagine 150w to each speaker.

And on walk way speakers, SD have you disconnected walk ways to see if you can hear a noticeable difference? I always figured they throw out some sound that completes the cabin surround experience. I would like to see where someone has mounted them in a better location without it looking like after thought or out of place.

SD and IXFE how much power are you guys running to cabins? I think the Javelin throws 75w to each speaker. It's so loud we don't ever crank them full tilt. Can't imagine 150w to each speaker.

And on walk way speakers, SD have you disconnected walk ways to see if you can hear a noticeable difference? I always figured they throw out some sound that completes the cabin surround experience. I would like to see where someone has mounted them in a better location without it looking like after thought or out of place.

Factory power is 50w per speaker, right? I'm using an Arc KS300.4, which is 87.5w. I agree I don't crank them full tilt either. but at 3/4, there's plenty of power in reserve and the sound is better than the factory amp which is hanging on by its fingernails.

Yes my walkthrough speakers are disconnected wallpaper right now. You absolutely cannot tell. It actually came up when I was tuning my cabin amp and adjusting the gains to balance the cabin speakers with the bow/walkthrough speakers to try to get some sound to the captain and not feel like all of the sound was behind me (those 8s are very assertive). I found that turning the gains on the 8s all the way down and turning them up on the walkthrough speakers had zero impact: the 8s still ran right over what little sound leaked out from the walkthrough.

You've seen my pics of where I relocated another pair of 6.5s. I guess whether they "look like an afterthought or out of place" is in the eye of the beholder. Guaranteed you can hear a difference from the driver's seat.

A9CCB2E4-3B48-4FF4-A37F-D7364417BA6B_zps

I totally understand the idea about going full stereo delete...and perhaps I am destined to repeat the mistakes of others who have gone before me however I look at it like this;

1. I love great audio however I do not have the energy to do a full system from scratch and I'm not interested in paying someone else to do what I could do if time and energy were not at issue. So that being said I will add and tweak until I am satisfied with the improvement in sound, understanding it may not be top of the line audiophile grade.

2. I really believe and I may be wrong, but having stock intergration is a plus at resale. I know plenty of boaters who could care less about the audio or Bluetooth, just that their very expensive touch screen works as it should.

3. I spoke to my dealer about Bluetooth connectivity and function issues with RF black box and Viper. He claims no problemson his 15 VLX and that he has installed all available updates.

4. Whether Bluetooth works or not I will get one of the IPod/IPhone cable and connect that to the back of the black box and also route a long aux cable from the glove box under the floor and up to the phone cradle.

5. Noise issues...understood! Based on the advise of other here already I plan on installing some form of EQ, whether it be an Audio Control EQS or WS420. My hope is this will elimate any noise and tweak the system' transforming a blah system into a better system.

I don't plan on settling or wishing problems away. At this point after all the advise I would like to consider this a challenge, possibly foolhardy, but a challenge nevertheless! Either way, when the time comes and the tweaking is over I will honestly report back with pictures on the outcome. May the force be with me...LOL

I totally understand the idea about going full stereo delete...and perhaps I am destined to repeat the mistakes of others who have gone before me however I look at it like this;

1. I love great audio however I do not have the energy to do a full system from scratch and I'm not interested in paying someone else to do what I could do if time and energy were not at issue. So that being said I will add and tweak until I am satisfied with the improvement in sound, understanding it may not be top of the line audiophile grade.

2. I really believe and I may be wrong, but having stock intergration is a plus at resale. I know plenty of boaters who could care less about the audio or Bluetooth, just that their very expensive touch screen works as it should.

3. I spoke to my dealer about Bluetooth connectivity and function issues with RF black box and Viper. He claims no problemson his 15 VLX and that he has installed all available updates.

4. Whether Bluetooth works or not I will get one of the IPod/IPhone cable and connect that to the back of the black box and also route a long aux cable from the glove box under the floor and up to the phone cradle.

5. Noise issues...understood! Based on the advise of other here already I plan on installing some form of EQ, whether it be an Audio Control EQS or WS420. My hope is this will elimate any noise and tweak the system' transforming a blah system into a better system.

I don't plan on settling or wishing problems away. At this point after all the advise I would like to consider this a challenge, possibly foolhardy, but a challenge nevertheless! Either way, when the time comes and the tweaking is over I will honestly report back with pictures on the outcome. May the force be with me...LOL

As long as you don't mind the occasional I told you so, there's plenty of help here for when you run into the inevitable problems/disappointments.

You are probably right about resale tho.

An 8" speaker will play louder than a 6.5" with with same wattage, just the nature of a larger speaker. Not a noticeable difference between the factory 50W and a little more, say 75W, but more wattage is never a bad thing. Takes about 2X to make a real difference.

Yes, the M282 and M262 are a decent speaker when fed to decent wattage from a quality amp. 100W rms is about max for the M262 150W rms is about max for the M282. ive powered them both with amps such as the Wet Sounds SD-6 @ 145W rms.

The rockford BB is not the cleanest most noise free source unit, but I can honestly say, I have not seen the issues that other have when adding additional amps, speakers and an EQ.

Can a better system for close money be done aftermarket....................possibly. Is stereo delete worth it or is having Maliview integration the way to go? Thats up to the buyer. There are pros and cons to both.

Factory power is 50w per speaker, right? I'm using an Arc KS300.4, which is 87.5w. I agree I don't crank them full tilt either. but at 3/4, there's plenty of power in reserve and the sound is better than the factory amp which is hanging on by its fingernails.

Yes my walkthrough speakers are disconnected wallpaper right now. You absolutely cannot tell. It actually came up when I was tuning my cabin amp and adjusting the gains to balance the cabin speakers with the bow/walkthrough speakers to try to get some sound to the captain and not feel like all of the sound was behind me (those 8s are very assertive). I found that turning the gains on the 8s all the way down and turning them up on the walkthrough speakers had zero impact: the 8s still ran right over what little sound leaked out from the walkthrough.

You've seen my pics of where I relocated another pair of 6.5s. I guess whether they "look like an afterthought or out of place" is in the eye of the beholder. Guaranteed you can hear a difference from the driver's seat.

A9CCB2E4-3B48-4FF4-A37F-D7364417BA6B_zps

I would be concerned about walkway mount location being ankle slicer. Could never happen but knowing my luck it would happen on our boat. Totally agree with those new mounts being a better location for sound. I was even considering going 4.5" up on top dash area. I have seen some installs that looked pretty good up there but not sure how much actual sound performance gain you would benefit from (or loose for that matter). I might venture this spring into a speaker relocation project myself.

You are probably right about resale tho.

Hmmmm... I'd say he's probably wrong, but what do I know about reselling Malibus?

I think he's also wrong to think that building from scratch is more work than starting with factory and "tweaking." I guess it depends on his definition of "tweaking." If it involves new amps and a new subwoofer I'd argue it's more work. Remember, I've done both.

And with the EQ he's gonna end up with two master volume knobs, further complicating the user experience... "Honey, which one turns the music down?" Or completely messing up the speed sensitive volume settings. Not to mention with the EQ he will have effectively bypassed the factory system anyway, presuming he uses AUX or BT plugged into said EQ (and he will, I think we all know that). Isn't paying for a factory system then bypassing it with an EQ just a more expensive version of stereo delete??

Ok. Enough from me already. I've said too much. Trust your dealer. They have no reason to mislead you.

• Like 2

The rockford BB is not the cleanest most noise free source unit, but I can honestly say, I have not seen the issues that other have when adding additional amps, speakers and an EQ.

The noise I'm referring to was there the day I took delivery, before I so much as brought a screwdriver into the boat. I've witnessed it in at least two other 2015 Malibus on the dealer lot (i.e. no mods) with similar issues. Like I said, Malibu admitted to me it was an issue.

I've had BB's in prior years. Never experienced anything like I did last year. I truly believe it has something to do with the new dash, viper 2, integration to the screens, etc. In other words, not a RF issue per se. More of an integration and validation issue specific to 2015 boats. I haven't tested any 2016 boats, so it's possible Malibu addressed it. I will also concede that you may not have experienced the issue because either you haven't been around the 15's much or you just got a good one. When I talked to Malibu they were aware of the issue (i.e. I wasn't the only one) but said it was sporadic.

I dunno. I can only go by own experience. In my case I wasn't about to drop another $3k just in case this time it worked. After hearing my boat last year my dealer practically begged me to go back to stereo delete. Lol

The noise I'm referring to was there the day I took delivery, before I so much as brought a screwdriver into the boat. I've witnessed it in at least two other 2015 Malibus on the dealer lot (i.e. no mods) with similar issues. Like I said, Malibu admitted to me it was an issue.

I've had BB's in prior years. Never experienced anything like I did last year. I truly believe it has something to do with the new dash, viper 2, integration to the screens, etc. In other words, not a RF issue per se. More of an integration and validation issue specific to 2015 boats. I haven't tested any 2016 boats, so it's possible Malibu addressed it. I will also concede that you may not have experienced the issue because either you haven't been around the 15's much or you just got a good one. When I talked to Malibu they were aware of the issue (i.e. I wasn't the only one) but said it was sporadic.

I dunno. I can only go by own experience. In my case I wasn't about to drop another $3k just in case this time it worked. After hearing my boat last year my dealer practically begged me to go back to stereo delete. Lol

we've had this discussion in another thread and in that thread, my initial comments where not directed toward you and these are not either. Im not discounting your experience, but mine are vastly different.

Ive worked on ever generation of black box from the JBL to the current rockford. IMO, i think you had a single bad component, rather then painting the entire system as junk.

I dont think it was totally a Viper issue as Bu is not the only one using it and ive not seen these issues with other brands using the Viper.

Ive done 3 2015's and been in 2, as in on the water for the day, that were 100% OEM.................is that enough for you?

we've had this discussion in another thread and in that thread, my initial comments where not directed toward you and these are not either. Im not discounting your experience, but mine are vastly different.

Ive worked on ever generation of black box from the JBL to the current rockford. IMO, i think you had a single bad component, rather then painting the entire system as junk.

I dont think it was totally a Viper issue as Bu is not the only one using it and ive not seen these issues with other brands using the Viper.

Ive done 3 2015's and been in 2, as in on the water for the day, that were 100% OEM.................is that enough for you?

Oh, I'm sorry. You're comments weren't directed at me. I guess I misunderstood since they appeared directly after I posted. My bad. Honestly MLA, I'm really trying to keep it civil this time. Please resist the temptation to blast me.

Here's what I don't understand. Let's set the noise aside; pretend it never happened to me or anybody else. That doesn't make this a good system worthy of a six figure boat. You're completely ignoring all the functionality issues. As a professional in this industry, can you honestly defend what Malibu has put out?? In my mind, that plus the price and mediocre sound quality (not noise) is enough to skip it.

I mean, you gotta look at this from a customer expectations point of view. And customer expectations are largely driven by what they see in their cars these days. After all, that is what the OP is really saying when he says he craves factory integration. He's saying "I want it to work in a seemless just like my car."

That would mean:

* only ONE rock solid Bluetooth connection, not two sketchy ones

* Bluetooth that has a range capable of working for people sitting in the back of the boat, not to mention just outside the boat

* automatic BT detection and hookup to a paired phone (not manual every time)

* all USB ports work for music playing, not just the one in the glove box.

* Apple devices able to plug directly into a USB port and be detected.

* Short of that ^^^ at least provide a an Apple interface cable that is lightning compatible.

* Short of that ^^^ at least provide an Apple cable... from ANY generation (they stopped providing the 30 pin cable in 2014)

* the optional remotes in the cabin and transom work for all sources, not just those sources that interface with the BB

* the dash screens give artist and title info from any source, not just some.

* that cool multi-function knob works for all sources, not just some.

* the bass/treble/fader/balance controls work for all sources, not just some

* the volume knob has zero latency.

* sat radio receiver included from the factory with maybe even a free 90 day trial

* HD radio would be nice too. Most new cars have it.

* and maybe even little cool surprises like my texts showing up on one of the screens. A $25k Chevy Malibu can do that!! Why not a $100k Malibu boat??

So I'm asking you, humbly, would you weigh in on the functionality of the new factory sound system (2015+)...?

Even if your not an audio snob, anybody is going to expect those things, right???

• Like 2
Oh, I'm sorry. You're comments weren't directed at me. I guess I misunderstood since they appeared directly after I posted. My bad. Honestly MLA, I'm really trying to keep it civil this time. Please resist the temptation to blast me.

Actually, my post #44 was after Shawn's and there are 5 between my post and your prior post. I dont see the issue, but sorry if you are offended by a difference of opinion and/or experiences. I truly dont see what you are having to work hard to keep something civil, civil? again, sorry if a difference of option is perceived as blasting. Feel free to continue to question the number of boats ive worked on, I dont mind mind.

Here's what I don't understand. Let's set the noise aside; pretend it never happened to me or anybody else. That doesn't make this a good system worthy of a six figure boat. You're completely ignoring all the functionality issues. As a professional in this industry, can you honestly defend what Malibu has put out?? In my mind, that plus the price and mediocre sound quality (not noise) is enough to skip it

So, when I comment that in my experiences, I have not seen the noise issues that other have, you come directly at me, but now you want put the noise aside? Sorry, aint happening. Noise is the discussion, so im going to keep it at the forefront. If you want to paint every 2015 malibu with the same brush, go right ahead, im not stopping you are questioning you, but, I will voice my difference of opinion and let the thread followers decide for themselves.

Now on to the new discussion you want to engage in:

I will leave it to an individual consumer to make the decision on whether or not, then OEM system as a whole, is worthy of the 6 figure boat. I have not defended the OEM system, nor have I called for everyone to go stereo delete. What I have done, on many occasions, pointed out the shortcomings that I have come across.

no box with a non IB woofer

poorly built box when there is one

grossly under powered tower pods

under powered woofer on a 300W amp

under powered 8" in-boats

inconsistent amp tuning even though they put a void sticker over the controls

Some of the worst blue tooth receivers even after many revisions

I mean, you gotta look at this from a customer expectations point of view. And customer expectations are largely driven by what they see in their cars these days. After all, that is what the OP is really saying when he says he craves factory integration. He's saying "I want it to work in a seemless just like my car."

That would mean:

* only ONE rock solid Bluetooth connection, not two sketchy ones

* Bluetooth that has a range capable of working for people sitting in the back of the boat, not to mention just outside the boat

* automatic BT detection and hookup to a paired phone (not manual every time)

* all USB ports work for music playing, not just the one in the glove box.

* Apple devices able to plug directly into a USB port and be detected.

* Short of that ^^^ at least provide a an Apple interface cable that is lightning compatible.

* Short of that ^^^ at least provide an Apple cable... from ANY generation (they stopped providing the 30 pin cable in 2014)

* the optional remotes in the cabin and transom work for all sources, not just those sources that interface with the BB

* the dash screens give artist and title info from any source, not just some.

* that cool multi-function knob works for all sources, not just some.

* the bass/treble/fader/balance controls work for all sources, not just some

* the volume knob has zero latency.

* sat radio receiver included from the factory with maybe even a free 90 day trial

* HD radio would be nice too. Most new cars have it.

* and maybe even little cool surprises like my texts showing up on one of the screens. A $25k Chevy Malibu can do that!! Why not a $100k Malibu boat??

So I'm asking you, humbly, would you weigh in on the functionality of the new factory sound system (2015+)...?

Its my understanding that there was an early 2015 running change to just one BT, the medallion viper unit. IMO, this current one is the best they've ever had and seems on par with other units

So you think the USB used for updating the viper should also work for the stereo? Seems unreasonable.

Do the boats not come with rockfords 3 way remote socker? USB, 3.5mm and apple plug? I dont use apple products, so I dont typically go looking for the plugs.

Do new cars provide all these optional cables?

Not aware of any OEM source interfaces that are bypassing the BB. On the other hand, if a source's input is into a music only input like an AUX, there is no way for thinks like by directional commands to work or seeing song and artists on a screen. This is common with any external universal interface like a BT. The Rockford specific BT offered these features, but didnt rockford drop it?

I agree that the bass treble fade etc should be accessible in all modes. That should be a simple rewrite for rockford.

I dont think enough people want SAT or HD to justify including it as standard.