Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Skimmer / Koal Skimmer / or Power Tail WakeSurf?

JSnider2323

I need help choosing a new wakesurf board

I think i would like a Ronix Skimmer or Power Tail. I cant seem to decide what would be better for me.

- I am 6' 1" @ 200 lbs

- I want to spin

- I want speed

My 23LSV makes a mid to large wake in my opinion but am afraid at my weight if I pick a board @ 4' 5" it will be to small?

So Skimmer or Power Tail?

4' 5" or 4' 8"??

i demo'd the skimmer yellow 4'10 and didn't love it, i felt my power-tail was faster, and was easier to pump/recover with.

long story short, i invested in a custom hunter clement soul craft , and haven't looked back

Edited by Stevo

I have the skimmer in the 4' 5" and i love it. ride behind a 23lsv and am 6' 0" 215lbs. it is fast!

Is it the Surf or the Koal?

i demo'd the skimmer yellow 4'10 and didn't love it, i felt my power-tail was faster, and was easier to pump/recover with.

long story short, i invested in a custom hunter clement soul craft , and haven't looked back

What size power tail do you have? Also is it the Carbon?

I know its a loaded question but what makes everyone seem to land on the Custom Soul Craft or Doomswell? why are they so great?

Is it the Surf or the Koal?

It was the carbon skim- yellow/black

What size power tail do you have? Also is it the Carbon?, 4'10 , non carbon powertail, Green/blackt

I know its a loaded question but what makes everyone seem to land on the Custom Soul Craft or Doomswell? why are they so great?

I was fortunate enough to ride one , when we had or NorCal day on the water.http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/topic/57562-day-on-the-water-norther-california/

All I can say is, it felt like night and day compared to any other.

I have owned, powertail, carbon skimmer(for a weekend, took it back) carbon thruster(now the boat board), and now the soulcraft hunter.

I am by no means a pro(intermediate at best) I would find someone who dropped the extra $$ on the custom and see for yourself.

Edited by Stevo

I was fortunate enough to ride one , when we had or NorCal day on the water.http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/topic/57562-day-on-the-water-norther-california/

All I can say is, it felt like night and day compared to any other.

I have owned, powertail, carbon skimmer(for a weekend, took it back) carbon thruster(now the boat board), and now the soulcraft hunter.

I am by no means a pro(intermediate at best) I would find someone who dropped the extra $$ on the custom and see for yourself.

So do you like the Thruster better than the Powertail then?

So do you like the Thruster better than the Powertail then?

Yes, I tried different fin sets ups with the PT, but liked the way the thruster handled better. The thruster is 4 inches longer though. More board to recover with.

I have the power tail and just felt it wasn't the best board for me. I like it but don't love it, I wanted a more surfy board. For christmas I got a soulcraft, have never ridden one so can't say yet. but have not heard one bad thing about them. I would buy a real hand made board over a factory board if you can afford. I got the power tail cause at the time it was 400$, good fun but felt I needed a better board. Tried a byerly volt ( i think) didn't like it all, tried a skurfer brand board still not my fav. So sure hoping this new soulcraft lives up to the hype, so hard when you cant demo. Such a hard decision good luck

I need help choosing a new wakesurf board

I think i would like a Ronix Skimmer or Power Tail. I cant seem to decide what would be better for me.

- I am 6' 1" @ 200 lbs

- I want to spin

- I want speed

My 23LSV makes a mid to large wake in my opinion but am afraid at my weight if I pick a board @ 4' 5" it will be to small?

So Skimmer or Power Tail?

4' 5" or 4' 8"??

I owned a carbon powertail 4'5" and I would say get the 4'11" for your size and weight. It's a fun board for sure and I would say it competes with the more custom boards. I ride mine with two larger outboard fins and no center fin. I had a factory issue with the carbon on my board and Ronix stepped up big time, it was close to the end of the season and they didnt ahve any boards left to give me on warranty so gave me a voucher for a new board of any model out of the the 2016 line up. So I will most likely be getting another powertail or the new blender which looks to be an interesting shape.

Edited by nohlan4

Well I guess it sounds like i should just buy either a 4 11" powertail or step up get a custom board..

Did you guys just call Soul Craft or Doomswell to get set up for a custom board? Or choose a specific model before?

I did talk to an old friend with a FlyBoy he seems to think is better than the rest? I didn't think choosing a new surf would be so hard

Edited by JSnider2323

Well I guess it sounds like i should just buy either a 4 11" powertail or step up get a custom board..

Did you guys just call Soul Craft or Doomswell to get set up for a custom board? Or choose a specific model before?

I did talk to an old friend with a FlyBoy he seems to think is better than the rest? I didn't think choosing a new surf would be so hard

That's the thing about these opinions, we all think we made the right choice because it was the choice we made, and in the absence of other info it is the right decision most of the time.

I'd call soulcraft or do swell and find a dealer that carries them local to you . Get your hands on them and ask questions, about service guarantees if you don't like the product. And establish a relationship with the shop.