Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tried a new wax with good reaults

isellacuras

My boat is coming up on 3 years old and I am meticulous about wiping down with speed gloss after every outing and using 303 on the vinyl 4 or 5 times a year. Getting a black boat worried me about the maintainence that would be involved with owning one. With consistent wipe downs it has stayed in really good shape with minimal effort and NO full on details over the last two seasons. At the end of last season it was showing signs of needing to be polished out, mostly due to small fine watersports that wouldn't polish out by hand with a spray wax or vinegar solution. I am not a big fan of high speed buffers because of the amount of wax they sling and all the nooks, crannys and soft plastic and metal raised graphics. I talked with my detail product supplier and he gave me a bottle of Car Beauty RV, Boat and Aircraft wax. I am not usually a fan of one step cleaner wax but this stuff worked really well. It removed the watersports and some of the smaller scratches and dock rash and went on and wiped off with minimal effort. I bought a cheapy 6" HF orbital buffer and both terry cloth and sheepskin type bonnets. I used both bonets but noticed very little difference between the two. The terry cloth may have been a little better on removing the scratches and dock rash. I removed wax with microfiber cloths. For the deeper scratches, I will go back over them with maguires scratch X and then touch up with the cleaner wax once again. I know a lot of you like the fancy multi stage cut/polish/wax products but this stuff is worth a shot. Buttery smooth, deep shine, removed water spots, easy on/off and pretty inexpensive.

Here's a link to the stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-RV-BOAT-AIRCRAFT-WAX/dp/B0078A0BM2

image_10.jpeg

Interesting. I've been using Meguiars marine wax and the results have been awesome. I keep up with the watermarks with some Hot sauce after we use the boat.

I use the Meguiars stuff too, works great.

I got a bottle of that same RV wax like four years ago and if I'm being honest it waxes everything up just as good as anything else. Used it on all my cars too. I just finally killed it at the end of the 15 season.

Can't remember who said it but I remember reading on here that the best wax is the one you use a lot.

• Like 1

My boat is coming up on 3 years old and I am meticulous about wiping down with speed gloss after every outing and using 303 on the vinyl 4 or 5 times a year. Getting a black boat worried me about the maintainence that would be involved with owning one. With consistent wipe downs it has stayed in really good shape with minimal effort and NO full on details over the last two seasons. At the end of last season it was showing signs of needing to be polished out, mostly due to small fine watersports that wouldn't polish out by hand with a spray wax or vinegar solution. I am not a big fan of high speed buffers because of the amount of wax they sling and all the nooks, crannys and soft plastic and metal raised graphics. I talked with my detail product supplier and he gave me a bottle of Car Beauty RV, Boat and Aircraft wax. I am not usually a fan of one step cleaner wax but this stuff worked really well. It removed the watersports and some of the smaller scratches and dock rash and went on and wiped off with minimal effort. I bought a cheapy 6" HF orbital buffer and both terry cloth and sheepskin type bonnets. I used both bonets but noticed very little difference between the two. The terry cloth may have been a little better on removing the scratches and dock rash. I removed wax with microfiber cloths. For the deeper scratches, I will go back over them with maguires scratch X and then touch up with the cleaner wax once again. I know a lot of you like the fancy multi stage cut/polish/wax products but this stuff is worth a shot. Buttery smooth, deep shine, removed water spots, easy on/off and pretty inexpensive.

Here's a link to the stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-RV-BOAT-AIRCRAFT-WAX/dp/B0078A0BM2

image_10.jpeg

This is great info as I need to get wax for the upcoming season. I have also been looking at the same HF Orbital as you used. If I understand your post correctly, you applied with orbital but then removed by hand with microfiber rag? Can you not remove with orbital or is this a bad idea? I was figuring the orbital for both but have always worried about this. My past boats were smaller RLXi and SSLXi so hand waxes weren't so bad but the new A22 with charcoal bottom isn't going to be so easy.

I was going to use the orbital to remove the wax but getting around all the graphics, lines, cleats and rub rail, it was just easier to wipe with a couple microfiber towels. If I were to use the orbital for on/off, I would use the terry cloth bonnet to apply and the sheepskin to remove. If using the orbital to remove, you would still need to follow up with a towel to get in all the nooks and crannies.

the harbor freight blue and black sponge pads are totally worth a look if your orbital will run them. Running those and some light to medium pressure with my HF variable orbital, I've had great luck taking out moderate scratches and definitely getting rub marks off.

Edited by shawndoggy

The cheapy orbital I got has a fixed pad attached to it. That will be the weak link on it. It has already started to peel off so I have to be extra careful when changing the bonnets out. My detail guy is getting me a good one but I didn't want to wait for him. The harbor fraught one was $17 so like any tool from HF, I see it as a disposable.

I am a fan of Boat Candy's Crystal Gloss.

I'll have to watch for coupon codes for this. I would like to try it but for $30 for a 16oz bottle, I figured I'd try something else. I have been real happy with speed gloss and the vinyl cleaner. I buy the speed gloss gallons at a time. The RV stuff was too cheap to not try since it was given to me. At $11 for a 32oz bottle, it's a fraction of the cost. Time will tell the lasting results. So far, so good.

this is the one I have: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

(I think I got it for $39ish?). I'm sure it's not going to stand up to daily detail work, but to do 10-15 wax jobs a year it's going to be just fine.

And re the RV wax... I notice no difference between it, 3M cleaner wax, starbrite PTEF polish, collinites and what ever the hula boat care wax is called.

I'll have to watch for coupon codes for this. I would like to try it but for $30 for a 16oz bottle, I figured I'd try something else. I have been real happy with speed gloss and the vinyl cleaner. I buy the speed gloss gallons at a time. The RV stuff was too cheap to not try since it was given to me. At $11 for a 32oz bottle, it's a fraction of the cost. Time will tell the lasting results. So far, so good.

Coupon code PBC20 will get you 20% off. Someone on this forum originally posted it and it's been working for me for over 2 years now! It even works on sale items.

Coupon code PBC20 will get you 20% off. Someone on this forum originally posted it and it's been working for me for over 2 years now! It even works on sale items.

Great! It's about time I restock the speed gloss.