Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

digital vs analog amp

90oldskool

I do not know much about amps now days. I am about to start on a completely new sound system in a 1990 skier. Audio shop doing the install work is pushing I go with digital over analog . I am doing a budget friendly project and wondering if digital is worth the extra $$$. Build includes: 2 tower speakers (possibly 2 more in the future), four 6.5 interior speakers , 12" sub in bow . Plan was to get 2 amps , one for sub and other for tower/interior speakers.

Nothing has been ordered as of yet , so any input would be much appreciated. plan to start the build in a few weeks .

A "digital" amplifier is an incorrect label. Class D is not digital and the 'D' does not denote 'digital'.

Class D is an analog switching amplifier. 100% analog.

You want Class D period versus Class AB. Class D is 60% more efficient. That's the BIG difference that pays dividends in so many ways.

For sound quality, the class of topology is secondary to the quality of the individual amplifier. A good Class D will sound better than a bad Class AB with the inverse being true also. You won't hear a difference between a top Class D (often called digital) and a top Class AB (often called analog).

Also, if you are very particular about sound quality there are countless other elements that impact the SQ of an amplifier beyond just the Class of amplifier and the power spec.

I bought a new truck and for the first time in my life I trusted a shop to spec and install the new sound system. I supplied only the speakers. They chose to power the Dynaudio (crazy good) speakers I supplied with their choice of MTX Thunder series amps. The result was poor bass, gritty vocals, and lack of details and balls. This was one of my many lessons in how important the amp is to the overall sound. The MTX amps were replaced the next day. I would not use the MTX amps you are considering.

I built a budget boat system not long ago. My goal was to see how much quality sound I could get for the least amount of money. Using lessons learned, I paired Polk DB 6.5 two way speakers at 59.00 per pair ( dirt cheap) with a 350.00 JL class D amp. That system sounded better than it had a right to. I suspect 90% of the boaters I know would be happy with it. Yes, the better amps are expensive, but they can make even the cheapest speakers sound good. Sadly, so many people skimp on the amp because it is the easiest way to keep costs down on a new system.

Since you are working with an audio shop, ask them to demo a couple of different amps on a middle of the road speaker and you will be a believer.

mtx makes good stuff. take a look at the JL audio site...they have discontinued amps. MOre $$$, but will sound better.

have the 600/4 and the 900/5 in the boat...worth every penny!

Plan was to get 2 amps , one for sub and other for tower/interior speakers.

Your plan to use a mono and a 2 chnl to dive a sub and 6 speakers with the possible addition of two more, is not adding up.

Mono for sub, check

2 chnl for 2 or 4 tower speaker, check

You need another 2 chnl for the in-boats or better yet, go with a 5 or 6 chnl amp for the sub and in-boats.