Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teleflex Cable Brake - Throttle Creeping Up

ScottSarrells

My throttle tends to creep back up sometimes so I made some calls, did some research, and ended up purchasing a Teleflex Throttle Cable Brake to fix the issue.

CableBrake.jpg

Does anyone have a diagram or pic showing how this should be installed?

Edited by ScottSarrells

Here are the installation instruction that should have been with the brake in the packaging:

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Cable-Brake-044386-Rev.1-055000-344.pdf

It looks like it just pinches the cable to stop the creep, you can install it where you want. I would suggest installing it somewhere easy to get to and adjust.

Edited by mikeo

I appreciate the reply. I did in fact receive those instructions but seems like the brake should be affixed to something as well as to the cable...otherwise, it would just creep up along with the cable. I'm planning on taking the throttle off this weekend and hopefully it will become clear.

Here's a pic of the same type of throttle...I'm just confused how a clamp on the cable is going to help...maybe it squeezes an outer tube against an inner cable?

Teleflex.jpg

Edited by ScottSarrells

I appreciate the reply. I did in fact receive those instructions but seems like the brake should be affixed to something as well as to the cable...otherwise, it would just creep up along with the cable. I'm planning on taking the throttle off this weekend and hopefully it will become clear.

Here's a pic of the same type of throttle...I'm just confused how a clamp on the cable is going to help...maybe it squeezes an outer tube against an inner cable?

Teleflex.jpg

That was my 1st impression - that it would just squeeze the cable - and then my concern would be what damage that would do over time.

I think the point is to apply squeeze to the cable outer casing which will add friction to the cable sliding inside the casing. Therefore it doesn't matter if the clamp moves with the casing.

I think the point is to apply squeeze to the cable outer casing which will add friction to the cable sliding inside the casing. Therefore it doesn't matter if the clamp moves with the casing.

agreed; the clamp shouldn't go right behind the handle assembly, but somewhere further back with easier access. The throttle cable is just a bigger version of a bike brake cable, the clamp is putting pressure between the inner metal cable and the plastic sleeve to cause more friction and therefore stop the handle creeping.

Just like bike brakes, boat steering cables and throttle cables are considered "consumables" and will wear out over time. It's supposed to take a really long time for them to wear out, but just like bearings, etc. they will wear out.

Based on the picture you provided there are at least two bolts/nuts that could possibly be tightened on the back of the throttle handle mount plate and what appears to be a plastic bushing or metal washer that could be lowering the overall friction in the system. Before you put the clamp on the cable, you might want to try a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on those bolts to see if makes a difference.

@ScottSarrells: There is an internal friction mechanism on most behind what you have pictured, behind and below the "190". On my mechanism, it consists of several rubber bumpers or tabs that rub on a circular metal surface as it rotates. I disassembled the throttle handle mechanism and ended up repositioning the bumpers to get them to do their job per the original design. You might try that before adding a friction clamp.

• Like 2

I just checked mine in my 01 SSVLX and it has the throttle like that one pictured. I had used a cable brake since i could not figure out how to get the throttle out. I finally figured it out (had to remove a trim panel) and it fell right out. How do you get inside it to adjust the rubber friction pads? Id rather do that than use the brake.

I took my control out today, removed the cable bracket from the back so i just had the hand lever and the box it was connected to. I Removed the lever and started to take the metal box or housing off of the black plastic face. As i slowly opened it up a bit i saw a spring in there that is partly held in place by the black housing. I got worried that if i pulled it all apart that i would not be able to get it back together so i just decided to put it back together and leave it.