Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering wheel Swap

FlipOn30s

So I have a question for my fellow Bu Crew members and I'm sure someone here knows or has done what I'm wanting to do. So another crew member and I that lives close by are considering swapping steering wheels. I have a 2007 VLX with the Isotta Zulag steering wheel and he has 2012 with the Isotta Vista single spoke steering wheel.

First: I was wondering if anyone knows how either one is removed... Typically you remove the center cap then their bolted to the hub by 5/6 screws or you remove the nut to the hub and remove wheel and hub and all.

Second: I know some steering shafts are key notched and others are splined. Anyone know what mine is and what his would be?

Any info anyone has of what all would be involved if it's pretty simple or a lot involved would be Greatly appreciated crew members. Thanks so Much!!!

All you do is remove center cap, 6 Allen heads and swap wheels. The single spoke uses longer Allen heads so make sure to trade bolts with the wheels.

Your steering shafts are both keyed, but it doesn't matter since there is no reason to swap the adapters.

There are pictures here from when I swapped from the single spoke to a Zulag (ultimately I swapped to the newer 6 spoke style because the zulag blocked my screens)

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/topic/48392-steering-removal-2012-vtx/?hl=steering

This is the swap to the newer steering wheel. I later learned that had I bought the wheel from Malibu that it would have had a keyed hub rather than the standard Gussi version I bought that had the splined hub and required me to swap out the helm unit.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/topic/51546-splined-to-keyed-steering-wheel

Edited by oldjeep

First off I wana say Thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it. I figured the wheels wouldn't be that big of a deal just wasn't sure on the Single spoke and how the center cap came off and if it had the 6 screw mount to hub.

Oldjeep where did you buy your newer 6 spoke from? So your saying if you bought it from Malibu it would of had keyway hub and would of been direct bolt up? I found this one http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16808-13-12-predator-steering-wheel.aspx and thought about suggesting it since you like it better with your screen to the guy I was Gona swap with. I want the Single spoke and if he wants something different I can buy that one cheaper than I can get the Single spoke from Malibu. I have other members on here looking for the Zulag so I can pass it on for a good deal to someone else and everyone gets what they want.

Gotcha!! I went back and read your post I see what you were saying now. Thanks so much and if you hear of someone wanting to get rid of their single spoke keep me in mind. I know a lot of people dont like them I think their cool and want to trade my Zulag. He not sure now cause mine has the silver at top of the wheel he said he not sure if it will go with his dash.

First off I wana say Thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it. I figured the wheels wouldn't be that big of a deal just wasn't sure on the Single spoke and how the center cap came off and if it had the 6 screw mount to hub.

Oldjeep where did you buy your newer 6 spoke from? So your saying if you bought it from Malibu it would of had keyway hub and would of been direct bolt up? I found this one http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16808-13-12-predator-steering-wheel.aspx and thought about suggesting it since you like it better with your screen to the guy I was Gona swap with. I want the Single spoke and if he wants something different I can buy that one cheaper than I can get the Single spoke from Malibu. I have other members on here looking for the Zulag so I can pass it on for a good deal to someone else and everyone gets what they want.

Funny, now that I look at that one they say it has a keyway. Wonder when they changed that - that is the same Livorsi branded wheel I bought from that same place but mine had a splined shaft. Wish I would have seen that one when I did mine. Would have saved me the $140 for the tilt unit.

Edit - this is all wrong. I did buy a keyed wheel it was the stock tilt unit that was splined

Edited by oldjeep

So that I understand correctly Jeep! The 2012 models with the Single spoke have the keyed steering shaft or the Splined?? You had said earlier that his and mine were keyed shafts if that's the case that 6 spoke above will direct bolt to his then.. Right?? You saying the 6 spoke you bought was splined hub?

So that I understand correctly Jeep! The 2012 models with the Single spoke have the keyed steering shaft or the Splined?? You had said earlier that his and mine were keyed shafts if that's the case that 6 spoke above will direct bolt to his then.. Right?? You saying the 6 spoke you bought was splined hub?

Ugg I've confused myself now and had to go back to that old thread and read what I actually had to do. The stock 2012 Malibu tilt unit is splined as is the adapter that attaches the single spoke wheel to the tilt unit. What I had to do was replace the splined tilt unit with a keyed one because the wheel I bought was keyed (backwards of what I typed earlier). I was told by someone later that the steering wheel that Malibu sells which looks exactly like the one I bought is actually splined - although I don't think I've ever seen a picture of that.

Sorry for the confusion.