Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Supporting tower when folded down

Hi all

For background I have 2003 lsv 21' with the Swoop II tower. When I put the tower down to store the boat in the garage the tower sits on the back the rear seat. We also had a little issue where the tower was lowered unexpectedly and quickly which ripped the seat. :whistle:

My question, does anyone store a boat with the Swoop II tower down. If you do put the tower down how do you keep the tower off the seats? My solution was to put a crutch under the tower to support the weight and keep the tower off the seat. Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks

My board racks stick out and would rest on the gunnel, so I put a life jacket on each side and it rests on them. I would think a couple life jackets would do the trick?

On my 2002 21 Lsv with the swoop tower I covered a roughly 3ft long 2x4 with carpet and lay it across one of the back corners of the boat (goes from the side of the boat to the rear hatch). When the tower comes down the corner hits this 2x4 and stops it from hitting the seat.

I have a swoop that rests on the windshield frame when lowered. I made a PVC support using 2.5"pipe with 2 t's. One at the bottom with 2' sections on either side and one at the top that's cut in half to use as a cradle to hold the tower.

Thanks for all of the replies, I ended up using the crutch to hold the tower while I backed into the garage. Once in the garage I used the crutch and a backup rope to catch the tower if the crutch broke. As a side note, the crutch is an adult crutch, it probably would have a been a little better with shorter crutch, maybe a kids size.

Here are some pictures of how it ended up.

thanks again for all the input.

IMG_39231_zpspgf9fwyi.jpg

IMG_39261_zpsalls4rzz.jpg

Edited by jgreen

I see a tower stop that slides onto the pylon in your future...

Formulaben, I was looking for something just like that. Do you know if someone sell them or is this a DIY type of project?

I put 2 towels on the side of the boat and run a 2x2 across the boat to hold it up. The tower just rests on the the 2x2. When I move the boat in/out I remove the 2x2 and rest the tower on large block on the rear seat so the tower doesn't hit the side windows.

I put 2 towels on the side of the boat and run a 2x2 across the boat to hold it up. The tower just rests on the the 2x2. When I move the boat in/out I remove the 2x2 and rest the tower on large block on the rear seat so the tower doesn't hit the side windows.

Even easier! You could take 2 old towels and permanently wrap the 2x2 ends. I think I have an old 2x2 laying around...might have to do that too. :cheers:

Even easier! You could take 2 old towels and permanently wrap the 2x2 ends. I think I have an old 2x2 laying around...might have to do that too. :cheers:

I actually slide old socks now but I thought that might be weird to say. I use to use towels.