Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

00 LSV bad surf boat?

triscadek

Purely hypothetical, IMHO, like he said. I also have yet to hear of any damage that can be directly attributed to surfing.

I guess that my truck should not drive sideways on a hill as well? Although I think that our boats feel pretty listed, I think that when you actually break out the inclinometer, you will find a severely listed boat is still only at something like 20 degrees...which still is not actually all that likely to be a problem. And then it is a little less while under way. Anyone ever measure both at rest and while underway?

He was saying the flywheel I believe only getting half the oil from the pan. For instance we always surf port side, he was saying that my starboard side cyclinders would be starved from some oil thus causing a lot more wear on the starboard side.

Tilting the boat left or right makes almost no difference. If you approach "standing the boat its side" then yes it matters. The real oil problem these boats have is that oil sump is in the front. These engines are all just based on truck engines, but they are installed backwards if you have a v-drive. The problem is, when the bow of the boat is up, like when coming on plane with ballast, the oil runs out of the sump. This exposes the oil pickup and allows it to suck air. The result is falling oil pressure, when it should be rising. Indmars solution is to overfill the sump (they used a different dipstick).

I have the same boat as you. I noticed the oil pressure dropping while accelerating, so I started adding oil a 1/4 qt at a time until the problem went away. It ended up requiring 2 extra quarts (drilled a new full hole in the dipstick at this level).

The flywheel does no come into contact with the oil.

By the way, your mechanic does not understand how the oil system works.

Sounds like he doesn't lol. I have indeed noticed that my oil pressure gauge will drop out sometimes and sometimes go kinda haywire. I figured I'd just add the sending unit to the spring list.

Tilting the boat left or right makes almost no difference. If you approach "standing the boat its side" then yes it matters. The real oil problem these boats have is that oil sump is in the front. These engines are all just based on truck engines, but they are installed backwards if you have a v-drive. The problem is, when the bow of the boat is up, like when coming on plane with ballast, the oil runs out of the sump. This exposes the oil pickup and allows it to suck air. The result is falling oil pressure, when it should be rising. Indmars solution is to overfill the sump (they used a different dipstick).I have the same boat as you. I noticed the oil pressure dropping while accelerating, so I started adding oil a 1/4 qt at a time until the problem went away. It ended up requiring 2 extra quarts (drilled a new full hole in the dipstick at this level).The flywheel does no come into contact with the oil.By the way, your mechanic does not understand how the oil system works.

Be careful overfilling a engine. It can be more harmful then a drop in oil pressure. There are several reasons for this and it's different for each design. I would talk to the manufacturer about what they consider the maximum. You do not want the oil frothing from being beaten by the crankshaft. It will kill the motor in a 100 hours or less.

Edited by Sailvi767
  • Like 3

Be careful overfilling a engine. It can be more harmful then a drop in oil pressure. There are several reasons for this and it's different for each design. I would talk to the manufacturer about what they consider the maximum. You do not want the oil frothing from being beaten by the crankshaft. It will kill the motor in a 100 hours or less.

I agree, I have the same concerns, but it's a lesser of two evils thing. Watching your oil pressure drop as the RPM climbs is about as bad as it gets. Indmar has just given us a poorly designed oil system. By the way I have looked at my dipstick immediately after accelerating, there where no signs of aerated oil. I've logged a couple hundred hours since I've started overfill. If I was going to do it again, I would put in an oil pan designed for this application instead of the pan that happens to come on the engine when Indmar received it from GM. In fact, I've considered pulling my engine and installing a different pan.

I recommend building a simple surf gate. You won't need to list the boat nearly as much, if at all. You'll also be able to cut the ballast by at least a 1/3, so much less load on the engine which is good especially if oil is less than ideal.

I built mine with $50 in wood, fiberglass resin, and wood screws. Only needed a circular saw, drill, a tie down, and 4hrs. It was so easy and I don't have much experience in that sort of thing.

Installs in 2 minutes, with no mods to the boat whatsoever.

Here's two videos. I did mine a little different than these guys, with the mounting boards flush with the transit as they run along the top and bottom of the swim deck. And I wrapped the tiedown around the mounting boards and hooked it to the swim deck mounting bracket rather than using an eyebolt. I used hardwood plywood for the gate and hardwood board for the mounts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N9An-PDb_AI

I agree that the best and biggest wave still requires max ballast. But I also think you can get a better wave with less ballast and a gate, compared to full ballast and listed.

Is that your boat on CL? You did some work!

Sounds like he doesn't lol. I have indeed noticed that my oil pressure gauge will drop out sometimes and sometimes go kinda haywire. I figured I'd just add the sending unit to the spring list.

The sending units are infamous for making the gauge go haywire.