Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23LSV to 25LSV

RyanB

In hopes of getting my man card back, I will unveil the prop size. :).

It is in fact the 2419.

We do a fair amount of boating at Powell, but I did not try the bigger bags there. Maybe it would push it, maybe not. I do notice a HUGE difference with my fishing boat between Powell and especially the mountain lakes, so it would not surprise me if there is a significant difference.

Back to topic, I would like to get a spare prop. At this point, I would probably get a little less aggressive for Powell, and keep the 2419 for 5500' and higher lakes since that will plane out with my current set up.

As far as additional bow ballast, that is a no-go. Wife doesn't want a bag in the bow, and I can't say I do either.

So, maybe I am "stuck" with the 450 bags. Everyone just seems very surprised that the boat struggles with the power package it has.

yep. No bow weight is your problem. I know you've said you weren't interested in the M235. But that's literally the only boat in the Malibu line that doesn't need bow weight (so I'm told). Does your boat have the bow tank under the front seats? If not get custom bags made for under the seats or add lead. If so, I've seen some people make 1/4 inch thick flat lead plates to put over the bow tank. Then put the seats over them. Make sure the plates are spread evenly over the tank and not in the center of you decide to go that route. Good luck! Edited by tn_rider

Boat has the built in bow tank.

So, you are a saying full bow ballast plus around 650 pounds of people isn't enough, but lead would be? Seems like that would be a lot of lead.

Dealer did tell me that with the 2015s with the newer wedge, they ran 23LSV and 24MXZ for their "surf gate tour" and didn't need the bow bag.

Can you upgrade the wedge to the new design without costing a fortune?

And I appreciate the comment of the M, but I have ruled out upgrading the boat. Lots of things I would rather spend $50 +k on than a new boat.

Edited by RyanB

I run the sumo 600Lb bow bag which actually weighs in around 800 lbs full. I also run about 750ish in each locker, oj 948 prop, full mls and wedge 1-2 clicks up at 10.8-11.2 mph. I only have the 409 but I can push this weight at 2000' with no issues. So yes, 200-400 lbs extra could be a big difference for you. Not uncommon for guys here to run 1000 lb bow bag.

What setting do you have your wedge on and what speed are you surfing at? If that wedge is engaged too much it will cause a lot of problems with the excess drag.

Normally run the wedge all the way down, or 1 click up. Although I have tried different settings. I want to say that I am at that same 11.2 MPH, but it might be 11.8. I do know that my speedo runs fast.

I think I am done messing with the locker bags. There are some advantages to the smaller bags - more room in the rear lockers for gear.

Boat has the built in bow tank.

So, you are a saying full bow ballast plus around 650 pounds of people isn't enough, but lead would be? Seems like that would be a lot of lead.

Dealer did tell me that with the 2015s with the newer wedge, they ran 23LSV and 24MXZ for their "surf gate tour" and didn't need the bow bag.

Can you upgrade the wedge to the new design without costing a fortune?

And I appreciate the comment of the M, but I have ruled out upgrading the boat. Lots of things I would rather spend $50 +k on than a new boat.

I can assure you bow weight is needed, IF you weight the boat over factory 550 PNP. I use custom rear bags and lead to get 1300 in each rear corner, plus 800 in the bow. Bow weight is critical if you run heavy in the rear.