Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23LSV to 25LSV

RyanB

We have a 14 23LSV with the LS3. Put 150 hours on it in the last year, and enjoy the boat, but there are some things I don't like about it (the dash, wish we had the bigger engine, and a little more space would be good).

Went to the boat show over the weekend, and looked pretty hard at the 25. I like it, but am uncertain how much more $$$ it is worth.

Dealer is working on some numbers, but just interested in the opinion of how much more a 16 25LSV would be worth than my 14 23LSV. Say similar options, but upgrading to the 575 engine.

And, before someone mentions it, I am not interested in the m235.

Have you thought about maybe a 15' hold over 23lsv or slightly used? I know you mentioned more room would be good but thats gonna make the price jump significant. Recently bought a 23lsv, loaded, g4, ls3, gel coat, malibu trailer, 65hrs, for mid 90s.

I also suspect roughly 50k to upgrade. You are paying for 2 years newer, bigger boat, and an $11k engine upgrade. You may want to demo the 450 in the 25 LSV. If you have the 14, you have the Marine power LS3, which a lot of discussion has been had about it producing less power than the Indmar. That said the new 450 is TORQUE not HP. So the current 450 produces more power than the GM LS3. Also consider new tranny ratios, lifting wedge, etc. 450 might be ok.

On the other side having supercharged power is LEGIT, you always have power. Dropping $140k and having it underpowered would SUCK!

Yeah, we talked quite a bit, and it isn't worth it to me to upgrade. Would love the 25, but I went over the budget I wanted to spend with the 23. Doing it again might cost me half of what I own.

I think you're making the right decision. The important thing, you still have a boat that will provide endless memories. Those memories won't change with a different boat. Enjoy!

Ryan, keeping a '14 23LSV is still not exactly a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. You said you have felt underpowered a couple times. Check with your dealer there were a couple recalls associated with that specific engine, one of them related to reduced power.

Ryan, keeping a '14 23LSV is still not exactly a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. You said you have felt underpowered a couple times. Check with your dealer there were a couple recalls associated with that specific engine, one of them related to reduced power.

The epitome of 3rd world problems, right?? I realize I have a fantastic boat that is arguably usually the best boat on most of the lakes I am on. I realize I am being pretty picky.

As far as the lack of power issue, it has been back a couple times. Dealer says everything is within specs. I changed to smaller bags in the lockers, and it does what I want it to do now. So, overall, I am happy.

• Like 1

Good question. I will look when I get home in a couple days. Spoke with the dealer about it and they said it was the right prop.

Going off memory, I want to say that it is turning something like 5250 RPM at WOT.

I tried a few things last year. Went to the dealer a couple times about it, and they could not diagnose a problem with the engine. Everyone seems surprised that it would not get up to speed with the 750 (?) bags at around 5500' elevation. But it wouldn't even get to 10 MPH, and the surf wake sucked.

Gave up on those bags and went with the smaller 400 (?) bags. Boat will surf fine and get on plane. Got to the point where I didn't want to chase the issue and be disappointed in a new very expensive boat. So that is where I am at now.

Are you running any bow weight? Could be your problem.

Stock ballast, but I don't think that is the problem. With the stock ballast, plus the big locker bags full, I tried with me (200 pounds), two friends (probably another 340) and a big dog (95) in the bow, and it wouldn't plane. And I was just about sitting on the bow light. Couldn't have been any further forward.

You need more bow weight with the 750s in the back. Try a 1000lbs bow sack.

Find out exactly what prop you have and post it.

This^^^. Need to know your prop. With 750's you need AT LEAST 750 in the bow. Most run 1000. Problem solved. Edited by tn_rider

On powell (where I assume you boat) my friend runs a 409 with 2315 in a 2014 MB 23 with no problems pushing 4000 lbs of weight. Your LS3 should be plenty there unless you are running a crazy heavy boat. It should easily push 750's in rear lockers and some bow weight.

Powell is at 3600 feet or so. I think he said the problem primarily presented itself at 5,000 feet.

Did not catch this, so at 5000' he is loosing another 3-5% efficiency but I would think propped and weighted correctly the LS3 would get it done. I could be totally wrong, but just my gut. If you run a 2419 on that LS3 it has to be a stump puller.

Did not catch this, so at 5000' he is loosing another 3-5% efficiency but I would think propped and weighted correctly the LS3 would get it done. I could be totally wrong, but just my gut. If you run a 2419 on that LS3 it has to be a stump puller.

I dunno... In my experience even the relatively small difference between 3800' (my home lake) and 4500' (lake almanor ca) is significant. my boat feels like it will push weight all day somewhere low like Bullards or Shasta, but Almanor always feels like you are running on 6 cyl (all three of my boats have felt that way). I'd imagine that's only more apparent at 5500.

But yeah, I'd definitely want a 2419 (or something more aggro if it exists) to push big weight at 5500.

In hopes of getting my man card back, I will unveil the prop size. :).

It is in fact the 2419.

We do a fair amount of boating at Powell, but I did not try the bigger bags there. Maybe it would push it, maybe not. I do notice a HUGE difference with my fishing boat between Powell and especially the mountain lakes, so it would not surprise me if there is a significant difference.

Back to topic, I would like to get a spare prop. At this point, I would probably get a little less aggressive for Powell, and keep the 2419 for 5500' and higher lakes since that will plane out with my current set up.

As far as additional bow ballast, that is a no-go. Wife doesn't want a bag in the bow, and I can't say I do either.

So, maybe I am "stuck" with the 450 bags. Everyone just seems very surprised that the boat struggles with the power package it has.

Edited by RyanB

If it is not balanced correctly (bow and stern) it will struggle, it changes the prop shaft angle and ends up pushing the boat upward rather than forward. You could put a reversible pump to easily fill the bow bag or even add some lead weight which would be hidden. From past experience those 750's require more than factory bow ballast of some kind.