Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 22 MXZ

hunter77ah

Hey guys,

I am looking at a leftover 2014 22 MXZ with the 409 and G3. Originally went in to look at a 15 a22 with the 350.

Boat doesn't have a trailer. Dealer has offered to throw in a Phoenix trailer or upgrade to a Boatmate for a little bit more.

Options: Bow Tank, Rear PIP, Battery Opt. 2, 4 Pop up Cleats, "WS Carpet" snap in, CS cover, Torque Prop, MXZ sound pack, Transom remote, 12" sub, white tower, one pair Alpha 2s.

If I go with it, I am already replacing the alphas with a set of Rev10s (at a discount).

We wakeboard 80% (intermediate-advanced) and surf 20% (nothing more than "cruising").

Thoughts? Warnings?

Which trailer would you guys recommend?

I know it doesn't have PW2, G3.2 and dash, but is there any reason I should hold out for a 15?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

16 isn't a possibility- I'm at the absolute top of my price range on this one.

Edit: removed pricing

Edited by hunter77ah
ahopkins22LSV

I would pay the money for the Boatmate. And if you mainly wakeboard I think it would be perfect for you. IMO the only thing you are missing out on is the lift feature of the PW2. Yeah it is awesome but, people were getting by without it for a long time. I have surfed a 14 22 MXZ with the 409 and it was a very good wave too!

Also, if it is the boat I am thinking you are talking about, it is a beautiful boat!

Boatmate is superior to Phoenix. I currently own both.

Thanks. Any particular reason? That's the way I was leaning, but didn't have any real reason to back it up aside from looks.

Came very close to buying a similar one last June. Maybe a tad more expensive, and it only had the 350. But same thing, no trailer, etc. Chattwake convinced me to consider a new VLX, instead. As that dealer was no longer a Malibu dealer, I went to another one, and was actually able to build a VLX for a little less. But I still think it is a very good deal. I will say that the PW2's lift feature is HUGE, though with the 409, it may not be as big of a difference in your case. You still getting the full warranty, and is the dealer selling it going to be able to service it (in my case, the answers to those questions were yes, and no, respectively).

Came very close to buying a similar one last June. Maybe a tad more expensive, and it only had the 350. But same thing, no trailer, etc. Chattwake convinced me to consider a new VLX, instead. As that dealer was no longer a Malibu dealer, I went to another one, and was actually able to build a VLX for a little less. But I still think it is a very good deal. I will say that the PW2's lift feature is HUGE, though with the 409, it may not be as big of a difference in your case. You still getting the full warranty, and is the dealer selling it going to be able to service it (in my case, the answers to those questions were yes, and no, respectively).

Thanks. I will be getting the full warranty and the dealer will be servicing it.

Why did you go with the vlx instead of the mxz?

Thanks. I will be getting the full warranty and the dealer will be servicing it.

Why did you go with the vlx instead of the mxz?

I had not really planned on upgrading the Axis, but just out of curiousity went on the former dealer's website and found the MXZ. I wasn't really setting out to get one. But ultimately, i was able for a little less to get a newer VLX with the newer stuff (mostly the PW2) built to order. The MXZ's MSRP is about $8K higher. Not sure I could have gotten an MXZ ordered at kept the price point. But ceteris paribus, I prefer having more room in the main part of the boat than in the bow. And I like the looks of the VLX better, as well. That stuff is just personal preference, I would have been happy with the MXZ, as well.

Edited by 67King
  • 3 weeks later...

When I got my first Malibu I had the went in for Axis (2013) vs. a 2012 holdover MXZ. I chose the Malibu for the fit and finish. Both are great boats, but I am 100% a MXZ fan due to the time my wife and kids spend in the "playpen" up front.

I had a 2012 and upgraded to the 2015. I think the PW2 was a definite help, but I had a 350 in mine with no issues in the 2012 as well.

I think if you like the look of the 2014 and it is within your budget you won't go wrong!

Good Luck!

AFADE692-E073-4762-BA6A-22B19490780A.JPG

I too have seen this boat in person. Extremely sharp! In fact, I had to pull my wife away and re focus on the LSV. If I was looking for a MXZ, I would have jumped on it. If you haven't committed yet, keep in mind that the local boat show is this weekend. I don't see that boat sticking around long. They seemed aggressive on the price a month ago. BTW, can't say enough about that dealer. Good luck.

Thanks. It's waiting for me in storage. Any suggestions on a wakeboard or surf ballast setup? It comes with the 550s and I have 2 ronix 800s and a FH 750. Thinking about buying a bow sac...

Edited by hunter77ah

Thanks. It's waiting for me in storage. Any suggestions on a wakeboard or surf ballast setup? It comes with the 550s and I have 2 ronix 800s and a FH 750. Thinking about buying a bow sac...

Yeah, I posted that and then ran over to the dealer to get some boat show tickets. I heart sank when it wasn't out front. Then I was relieved to hear someone from northern Ohio bought it. Way to go and congratulations!

ahopkins22LSV

I have surfed a 22 MXZ for a quick set before one of our surf events. I think we had 750's for PNP, Then we ran a 1000lbs bow sack about half full with 4 guys ranging from 175-225ish. Wave was quite good on both sides. Wish would have had more time because we could have really dialed it in. Bow is easy to dip with the bow ballast though, pay attention! 409 handled the weight well and I think it was only the 1235 prop.

It is definitely not uncommon to have a boat cross over while waiting on your surfer and cause a roller to come over the bow. But most safe typical surf driving rules and you're fine. You have more than enough weight (IMO) for that boat. I am coming out of a 2015 22MXZ and used typically 650's in the back locker and a 300 lb sac up front only if I didn't have a few people.

The wave and wake was great in my opinion....

Thanks. Looking for a baseline so this helps a lot. This is my first surfgate and pickle fork boat. We usually slam my parents vlx; but I will be careful my first few times out.