Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2015 24 MXZ

bzeller

Whelp, we took possession of our 2015 24 MXZ on Tuesday from Texas Malibu (great guys!!). I say we because its really a family boat. I've been a long time lake/boat lover, started out with a '99 Tige 23V when I got a real job out of college. Had that for about 8 years, then had kiddos and have been absent from the scene while they were too young. Unfortunately, my wife's not a boat lover like I am so it was difficult to justify time on the water with her home with babies and toddlers. Now that they're older, we just leave her at home for some down time! :biggrin:

Anyway, I cycled through about 4 boats in 2014 as I convinced my wife that I could buy low and sell high while using them. Purchased two used X-Stars, a Tige 22V, and a MB B52. Got some water time and made some spending money at the same time. However, as I mentioned above, this 24 MXZ isn't really mine per se and won't be taking that buy it, use it, sell it path. Its my dad's boat purchased for the use of the entire family and here to stay for what is expected to be quite some time. The downside is my father and three younger brothers all live up in IL while I'm down in Austin. Can't complain too much as we meet for a week every summer at Table Rock and then take a few other weekend trips to lakes in IL and AR that I attend. All the grandkids get together, lots of swimming, jet skiing, and best of all surfing/wakeboarding.

The journey to the 24 MXZ was fun. I convinced my dad to purchase an old '05 MB B52 about 3-4 years ago. It worked for his purposes and I found him a stellar deal. Ended up selling it this summer here in Austin for more than he paid for it and in parallel talked him into purchasing a new '14 MB F24 in July. Big upgrade! With 13 grandkids all under 11, the size alone was well worth the purchase. We surfed Table Rock along with a few weekend trips and loved it, however, even with the quick fill stock ballast, we always commented how we'd love to sack a boat out and surf either side without transitioning too much weight, etc. Didn't think we'd be upgrading so soon, but showed him a G25 when he was down in Austin in the fall. That got him excited and while a new G25 at ~$140K - $150K was outside what he would be willing to spend, it got me started doing what I love to do, look for good deals on a boat. We were really close to a deal on a used G23, a couple used X46s (even had a deal in place on one until the dealer found a better deal for himself, can't blame him), and then finally arrived on a deal for this 24 MXZ. I've spend a couple hours on it before it took its maiden voyage up to IL. Haven't surfed it yet, but I will say stock with PNP ballast looked great and the new 2015 dash is awesome. I'm hoping a couple of my brothers are willing to take a trip down to Austin in late March/early April so we can get some time on the water before their lakes warm up enough in early June. Will post more on our experiences if that happens. Until then, will be soaking up as much info as possible. Already planning the camera addition Darkside did with that aftermarket camera! At sub $50, can't go wrong!

I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to attach them. The image button seems to only have the ability to post from a URL link? I typically attach/upload photos directly from Photos on my Mac in most forums, but not finding that here?

• Like 4

Think I'll try using my iCloud Photo sharing feature first and see how it works. Here are some pics. We hooked up the MB to my truck. After seeing how good it looked in tow, I almost purchased it for my next buy, use, sell boat but passed. Was trying to click some pics when the sun was out to see the metal flake sparkle, but didn't cooperate much. Not sure why I got my dad's a** in two pics, sheesh!!! :dontknow:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0VGWZuqDGa1cPO

Congrats to your Dad and Family! How low will you stay boat-less is the question???

Ha, that is a good question! I'm somewhat boat agnostic when it comes to my boats since I'm typically looking for a stellar deal that I believe I can turn at a profit. Had my eye on an '08 X45 but it would take a lot of work to get it to where I think it would be profitable. We'll see!