Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need New Slalom Bindings - Recommendations?

minnmarker

I've got a ski I love but the bindings are a bit loose and one is starting to tear - so time for a change.

I would like a double boot, easy in/out, and good but not competition level support. Looking online for size 9 or Medium it looks like most everything is out of stock.

Ski has a metal top so I can screw most anything to it.

Recommendations for what to buy in the Spring?

I'll leave out my front binding recommendation because I like the hinged Connelly stuff, but for a rear I would consider the Radar HRT as a good compromise between a boot and RTP. Planning on picking on up for next season.

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/radar-hybrid-rear-toe-aluminum-frame-hrt-black.html?dfw_tracker=10071-5657&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtri0BRDLoaCF95e7o_sBEiQA_pgRQ6zueAjENRPWVdLkPAVklAtj2Hjhqr-YIWCLriW_7X4aAoB68P8HAQ

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

It's an old Jobe Competition with full concave bottom. Yep, that old. I've tried newer skis and just like the way this one turns. Must be in the flex because the shape and bottom profile look like the current skis.

I'm a bit unsure of the ankle strap on the Vectors. Have heard that they sometimes come off hard. Anyone have experience on this?

I'll leave out my front binding recommendation because I like the hinged Connelly stuff, but for a rear I would consider the Radar HRT as a good compromise between a boot and RTP. Planning on picking on up for next season.

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/radar-hybrid-rear-toe-aluminum-frame-hrt-black.html?dfw_tracker=10071-5657&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtri0BRDLoaCF95e7o_sBEiQA_pgRQ6zueAjENRPWVdLkPAVklAtj2Hjhqr-YIWCLriW_7X4aAoB68P8HAQ

Those look interesting. The only bad crash I've had in the last few years was when, due to a pulled back muscle, I went to an RTP for two ski starts and my back foot slipped out crossing the wake. After that it was back to 2 boots.

Those look interesting. The only bad crash I've had in the last few years was when, due to a pulled back muscle, I went to an RTP for two ski starts and my back foot slipped out crossing the wake. After that it was back to 2 boots.

I can't stand 2 boot starts and use a radar artp, but something I could step into that keeps my heel from sliding around really interests me enough to spend the $$ to try it out.

What ankle strap are you taking about on Radar Vectors? The upper cinch cord is a bungee and the lower is like para-cord. The lower cord you can make as tight as you want and they will still release, the upper bungee just needs to still have the ability to stretch for your heal to come out of the boot opening and they release fine.

I would seriously consider demoing some newer skis though. The new cross-over skis will make your old Jobe feel like too much work. The newer skis are faster, turn better and require less effort. Even something 3 years old would be a huge advancement from your current ski.

• Like 3

I'm going to piggyback here. I have not looked around very much, but I would like to find a rear boot that is wide enough for my foot. Two passes and I'm starting to feel pain. Three passes and I need out. Who makes wide binders?

Justgary, what size foot and what boot do you have now? The larger size vector is fairly wide until you tighten up the laces. I believe Wiley's has a "wide" option for their rubber bindings too. Outside of those options you could stagger your binding size and run the next size up for your rear foot. If you are in hardshells I don't have any experience with those and would point you to the ball of spray forum.

Wow that is cool. I went to a double fixed boot set up primarily because I have a wide foot and couldn't find an RTP that was worth a hoot or would fit properly. I'd love to try one of those out.

I'm going to piggyback here. I have not looked around very much, but I would like to find a rear boot that is wide enough for my foot. Two passes and I'm starting to feel pain. Three passes and I need out. Who makes wide binders?

The vectors fit loose and are designed that way. They're not supposed to be tight and take a bit to get used to. I used to only be able to take a single pass before my feet would cramp. More than 5 minutes in the water waiting for a pull was painful even with binding a full size too big. The Vectors fit like skate shoes and I have no problems waiting for a pull between sets with my ski on.

The vectors fit loose and are designed that way. They're not supposed to be tight and take a bit to get used to. I used to only be able to take a single pass before my feet would cramp. More than 5 minutes in the water waiting for a pull was painful even with binding a full size too big. The Vectors fit like skate shoes and I have no problems waiting for a pull between sets with my ski on.

You can run the lower laces tight and get near the snug feel of a rubber binding. The upper laces are where you need to be careful. As long as you can pull your foot out of them with reasonable force you are ok. I spent a lot of time to figure out how tight they need to be but still release and I was actually surprised how tight I could run them. However everyone's tastes and results are different.

It's an old Jobe Competition with full concave bottom. Yep, that old. I've tried newer skis and just like the way this one turns. Must be in the flex because the shape and bottom profile look like the current skis.

I'm a bit unsure of the ankle strap on the Vectors. Have heard that they sometimes come off hard. Anyone have experience on this?

Nope. Not sure what you mean by an ankle strap on the Vectors. You should not over-tighten the top lace...as it controls the ease of exit.

As to compatibility....unsure what the rear "hole pattern" is on that ski (Wiley's may know). A suggestion might be to contact the Smithsonian, and see if they will accept your donation of that ski. Take the write off, and giddy up into the modern times :biggrin: . Demo if possible.

Justgary, what size foot and what boot do you have now? The larger size vector is fairly wide until you tighten up the laces. I believe Wiley's has a "wide" option for their rubber bindings too. Outside of those options you could stagger your binding size and run the next size up for your rear foot. If you are in hardshells I don't have any experience with those and would point you to the ball of spray forum.

My foot is not that large, but it is wide (basically a 10EEE). It's not about laces when your foot is as wide as the aluminum horseshoe on the binder. My buddy gave me some HO Animals that are close, but still not comfy.

I have a friend who wants to learn to ski but his feet are a half inch wider than the binder plates on my pair skis. Wow, his feet are wide.

ahopkins22LSV

My foot is not that large, but it is wide (basically a 10EEE). It's not about laces when your foot is as wide as the aluminum horseshoe on the binder. My buddy gave me some HO Animals that are close, but still not comfy.

I have a friend who wants to learn to ski but his feet are a half inch wider than the binder plates on my pair skis. Wow, his feet are wide.

What kind of back swamp water are you guys skiing in down there?? ;)

What kind of back swamp water are you guys skiing in down there?? ;)

I'm skiing on it, he must be drinking it. He tried to put a ski on, but seriously, his foot is a full half inch too wide to even think about getting it in a binder. I'll probably make an inner tube binder or something for him to try. Maybe just a leather strap. Or just big wood screws.

• Like 1