Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Riders/manifolds

Chisolmdb84

I bought an 06 wakesetter with the 8.1 when I had the surveyor look at it he said that the risers were running slightly hot (160) and that I should take them off and check them for wear. I know that risers and manifolds can cause major problems if left in treated. Should I just replace the risers? Should I also replace the manifolds? Also the boat is raw water cooled and wanted opinions on converting to FWC ($ and if it's worth it. Boat has 350hrs) thanks

I have measured mine several times at 160 with an IR gun.

At 10 years old, you could pull the risers and check them, then change the hoses as you reassemble it. Mine was 15 when I bought it, and it's the first thing I did.

Also, I did a FWC conversion on mine for about $1k. Fitting the exchanger under the hood was a big challenge on my direct drive, but it turned out well.

The red flag on the exhaust is if one riser is noticeable hotter than the other which indicates a restriction. ultimately so long as you are staying under 190 I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cooling systems are fine so long as the water doesn't start boiling.