Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ever replaced drysuit seals?

wakeboarder3780

I have an oniell boost suit as I know many others on this forum have. Recently the wrist seal tore. The suit is old and I think I could have done more to maintain the seals (not sure if you're supposed to vaseline them, or powder them but I didnt do anything).

Anyhoo I need to replace a seal. Quick check on youtube confirms this is a trivial job for a DIY'r. I did a quick google search for seals and this is the first thing I found. Has anyone replaced seals before? Does it even matter what I get for replacement seals? Biggest thing to me appears to be that I would want "bottle style" seals.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/drysuit-latex-bottle-wrist-seals-pair.html

Very doable DIY job. Make sure you get a ball the size of the sleeve to slide on the inside, makes the job much easier and helps avoid wrinkles and gaps. Good rubber cement works well. I would also check with Wileys Ski Shop as they have all the supplies and are experts in Waterski equipment, they also offer the service of replacing seals.

Very doable DIY job. Make sure you get a ball the size of the sleeve to slide on the inside, makes the job much easier and helps avoid wrinkles and gaps. Good rubber cement works well. I would also check with Wileys Ski Shop as they have all the supplies and are experts in Waterski equipment, they also offer the service of replacing seals.

I get my seals from Wiley's as well - quick ship at a reasonable price. I like to use an inflatable long balloon in the sleeves/legs as it makes a good length rigid and easy to roll the new seal on. Arms & legs easy, neck more challenging repair.

I just ordered from the site I provided. I tried wiley's site (at least if I was on the right one) and just couldnt find what I was looking for fast enough. I plan to try to find a convenient sized can or jar but will consider the inflatable concept if that doesnt work out. Super pumped to get this bad boy repaired and enjoy some more winter riding :D

I should also ask, what is the proper way to maintain rubber life? Sounds like people powder them with talcom powder. Are we talking goldbond type stuff?

Edit: No don't use goldbond or any other scented talcom powder. Any unscented talcom powder or "french chalk" will do. They make big bottles for things like billiards. The "special" bottles for dry suit powder are grossly overpriced.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I just ordered from the site I provided. I tried wiley's site (at least if I was on the right one) and just couldnt find what I was looking for fast enough. I plan to try to find a convenient sized can or jar but will consider the inflatable concept if that doesnt work out. Super pumped to get this bad boy repaired and enjoy some more winter riding :D

I should also ask, what is the proper way to maintain rubber life? Sounds like people powder them with talcom powder. Are we talking goldbond type stuff?

Edit: No don't use goldbond or any other scented talcom powder. Any unscented talcom powder or "french chalk" will do. They make big bottles for things like billiards. The "special" bottles for dry suit powder are grossly overpriced.

After drying, store the suit folded up in a big ziplock bag away from any fuel fumes - ie not in the garage. I find talc makes it much easier to slide thru the seals when getting dressed.

I used a roll of toilet paper for the wrist and ankle seals (had to take some off to make it the right size), then used a basketball for the neck seal. No complaints with either. Heat gun for getting the old glue off was money too. Easy job.