Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1986 Malibu Sportster

1986sportster

Hello

I am looking for info on a project boat I picked up last fall. I think its called a Sportster but nothing confirms that. I really want to see photos of the original state. Any info would be great. Thanks

1986. Likely a Malibu Skier. Search Google images for the pictures. If you can post a picture of your boat here, there are plenty of knowledgeable people who will tell you exactly what you have.

Randy

The Sportster replaced the Tantrum I believe in '98 and ran to mid 2000's.

There was a Flightcraft Sportster in the early 90s but I don't believe they were as early as 86. Searching Flightcraft Sportster might help you find the information you are looking for though.

If it's the one in the OP's avatar it looks like the 'other' Malibu (or division of, or whatever it was) that did the flat bottom V-drives.

Not sure where to get info on those, sorry.

?

I think you are referring of the California Skier.

If you make that avatar a little bigger it look s like drag boat though.

?

I think you are referring of the California Skier.

If you make that avatar a little bigger it look s like drag boat though.

No, I meant Malibu.

Looks like it may be an I/O, not a v-drive.

http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17050&title=malibu-2c-low-profile-2c-ski-boat244000-&cat=501

Edit for pics:

post-12034-0-36528500-1452137005_thumb.j

post-12034-0-34676100-1452174941_thumb.j

Edited by jk13
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes Spam Happy. Looks just like that one. California Skier by Malibu. Mine is a 1986. How do I post more photos. I don't see an option.

Just as an FYI 'Spam Happy' is a rank based on post counts 'jk13' is the username.

Here is the link for posting images. I typically use photobucket because it gives you the embedded link for forum posting when you upload photos.

• 2 years later...

Did you ever find info on this boat, I recently bought one like this and I am in the same boat as you were ( no pun intended ), can't find out what it is.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Jug0327. 

I never did find much on mine. There are 5 or 6 others I can find pics of searching every combo possible.  I did look up my hull stamp and it was produced by current Malibu company and that's as far as I found.  I will finally be putting mine in the water this week after 2 year restoration. Cannot wait.  

• 4 years later...

I worked for Malibu from 1986 til 1995. I was the plastic foreman. The initial Malibu models were a 18.6 bubble deck outboard and later 4 cyl and 6 cylinder stern drive. A 21.5 model of the bubble deck was built with a open bow named the sportster. It was a beautiful boat. V8 powered