Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Difficulty removing 1 1/4" water hoses

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for removing the larger diameter water hoses. I would like to install a flush kit so I'll need to do this. When I winterized my boat in the fall I remember it being an absolute nightmare to get hoses off the v-drive.

They have tools that kinda look like hockey sticks with a pointy end and screwdriver handle on the other end. You run the pointy end around between the house and the fitting, just be carefull to not puncture the hose.

Mine would not budge either. No amount of force seemed to help. Tried twisting, completely taking the other end of the hose out of the engine bay to get more leverage, nothing. ended up blowing the water out of the v-drive through the open ends. Then, I dumped antifreeze directly into the v-drive, along with running antifreeze through the whole system when everything was put back together.

They have tools that kinda look like hockey sticks with a pointy end and screwdriver handle on the other end. You run the pointy end around between the house and the fitting, just be carefull to not puncture the hose.

Seen these in the past before. I guess if it comes down to it I might try this. I wanted to avoid the opportunity to cut through the hose. Does anyone have a link for a tool they might suggest?

Twist them. If you do it once a year, it's not usually a problem.

I head ya. The one I got I ended up twisting a bit and kind of "bending" side to side. It still was a major PITA though.

Mine would not budge either. No amount of force seemed to help. Tried twisting, completely taking the other end of the hose out of the engine bay to get more leverage, nothing. ended up blowing the water out of the v-drive through the open ends. Then, I dumped antifreeze directly into the v-drive, along with running antifreeze through the whole system when everything was put back together.

In your case, just remove the 2 drain plugs on the drive? I pull the hoses, but the plugs do the job just as well.

As far as removing hoses, if you can't get them to twist by hand then use a strap wrench - far enough back that you are not squeezing the hose on the nipple.

• Like 2

While it's probably a good idea to remove the V drive end of the hose you really don't have to do that to put a T in for a flush port. You can cut out a section of the the hose with it still connected at both ends, and then put your T in there. Those scissor type tools that old the razor blades work well.

I head ya. The one I got I ended up twisting a bit and kind of "bending" side to side. It still was a major PITA though.

pita for sure. ..every year after winterizing, when I reconnect all the water lines, I put a small amount

of vaseline on the inside hose ends, makes for a much easer removal next season.

• Like 3

Depends on the fitting/barb. The hoses typical come off the smooth barbs with just a bit of wiggling. I've found the interior surface molds to the barbed barbs on the 1 1/4 hose and they take a bit of deformation of the hose to get them free. The hose removal tool works wonders with those and has a rounded point, so you'd have to work REALLY hard to puncture the hose.

In your case, just remove the 2 drain plugs on the drive? I pull the hoses, but the plugs do the job just as well.

As far as removing hoses, if you can't get them to twist by hand then use a strap wrench - far enough back that you are not squeezing the hose on the nipple.

Ya, I will be using the anodes to drain it next year. Not even going to try to mess with the hoses again.

Google radiator hose pick.

These work a treat with virtually no risk of damaging the hose with a little care as long as the hose is not already brittle.

Once you insert the tapered tip it is so easy working around to break the adhesion to allow the hose to twist.

Don't need all 4 in this link depending on access, but also great for other vehicles

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/4-PC-Dominator-Heavy-Duty-Radiator-Hose-Pick-Set-P165164.aspx

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback guys. These things have sure been a major PITA and cause of frustration. I think I have a few new good ideas now on how to remove and maintain. Thanks!

Good call on the strap wrench. Didn't think about that!

Push the hose from the end while twisting both ways.

Good call. Thanks. Seems like a helper would be pretty helpful here.

While it's probably a good idea to remove the V drive end of the hose you really don't have to do that to put a T in for a flush port. You can cut out a section of the the hose with it still connected at both ends, and then put your T in there. Those scissor type tools that old the razor blades work well.

I was thinking to cut the hose but I am uncertain on the install that I am going to do. I'd really hate to cut the hose if I don't need to. Also, I might want to just remove the hose and plumb a different hose on during winterization to feed the v-drive. This would be of course if I didn't go down the flush valve route. It may come down to this if I can't get the hose removed. Thanks!

pita for sure. ..every year after winterizing, when I reconnect all the water lines, I put a small amount
of vaseline on the inside hose ends, makes for a much easer removal next season.

I dig it! Thanks!

Depends on the fitting/barb. The hoses typical come off the smooth barbs with just a bit of wiggling. I've found the interior surface molds to the barbed barbs on the 1 1/4 hose and they take a bit of deformation of the hose to get them free. The hose removal tool works wonders with those and has a rounded point, so you'd have to work REALLY hard to puncture the hose.

Thanks. The pick tool is something I'd totally be afraid to "muscle" but hearing this helps put my mind at ease.

Google radiator hose pick.
These work a treat with virtually no risk of damaging the hose with a little care as long as the hose is not already brittle.

Once you insert the tapered tip it is so easy working around to break the adhesion to allow the hose to twist.

Don't need all 4 in this link depending on access, but also great for other vehicles

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/4-PC-Dominator-Heavy-Duty-Radiator-Hose-Pick-Set-P165164.aspx

Awesome, thanks. Might need to order these.

I use radiator picks and strap wrench, but recently put in a flush valve and just cut the old hose off and put new hose in. New hose is not that expensive and is much more flexible than the old hose that has been around for years.

• Like 2