Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RFX6000 issue?

NCSurfing

Hey guys. I just re-did my amp board with Wetsounds however, upon powering it up for the first time, I don't have any source audio and it feels like the issue is with the RF black box. I am fairly confident I wired it back the way it came out however, when I power it on the below screen is all I get and the mode button does nothing (in fact they all do nothing except mute which changes color however, obviously I can't tell if it works). Any ideas what may be wrong?

post-31175-0-62509800-1451851263_thumb.j

The mode button will not recognize a mode or stop on it if there is no source plugged into that mode. I would start there.

Indeed. One thing I thought about is that the factory system used 2 sets of RCA inputs on the RFX6000 whereas I am only using one (front) which comes from by WS-420 and from what I've read in the user manual, you may need to tell the unit this. However, isn't the RFX6000 itself the source (tuner)? I have it all plugged in the way it was and never touched anything behind the viper II thus, was baffled by this... Edited by NCSurfing

The WS-420 would need an (1) output from the head-unit and this would not have any correlation with the BB's interface with the Medallion screen. You also need to make sure you have the RCA input and outputs configured right. You want the BB output going the 420 input and the 420 outputs going to the amp. Next, make sure the WS-420 is in the "Main" source and not AUX.

From the attached pic, it looks like the BB is not powering up.

The WS-420 would need an (1) output from the head-unit and this would not have any correlation with the BB's interface with the Medallion screen. You also need to make sure you have the RCA input and outputs configured right. You want the BB output going the 420 input and the 420 outputs going to the amp. Next, make sure the WS-420 is in the "Main" source and not AUX.

From the attached pic, it looks like the BB is not powering up.

I ran the input from the WS420 to the front outputs on the BB and indeed all WS420 outputs run to the amps so I think I am ok there. What's interesting is that in that pic, power is coming on (power off doesn't show mode, etc) however, are you saying that doesn't necessarily mean that the BB is coming on? Amps are powering on as well thus, I know remote (which comes from harness off back of BB) is triggering however, maybe the power or ground (both of which also come off that same harness with the remote) don't have a good connect...what's the best way to tell if BB is powered? Edited by NCSurfing

He may need a relay to help turn the amps on. There are 4 amps, daisy chained off the remote, plus a WS420.

Also, the Rockford black box wiring sounds different from what he's told me. From what he said, it doesn't sound like it has the standard yellow/red/black and blue/white (or blue) for turn-on. Shawn is an old friend and we talk a lot outside of here. I've been busy this week and haven't been able to get to him much while he's working on the boat.

He may need a relay to help turn the amps on. There are 4 amps, daisy chained off the remote, plus a WS420.

Also, the Rockford black box wiring sounds different from what he's told me. From what he said, it doesn't sound like it has the standard yellow/red/black and blue/white (or blue) for turn-on. Shawn is an old friend and we talk a lot outside of here. I've been busy this week and haven't been able to get to him much while he's working on the boat.

Thanks John. As you mention, whether the BB is getting power is suspect to me as well. The harness that comes from the boat has a connector that goes to the same on the RFX6000 however, it also has a pigtail of 3 wires - yellow, black and yellow/red. On the factory setup, these went to the first RF amp as shown in the pic below. Thus, when I wired it back, I wired it to the same locations (yellow to power, yellow/red to remote, black to ground) on the first syn amp and also wired the WS420 to this amp as well. I could have simply worked these direct to the 420 lead and tied onit the remote to the syn however, I was trying to avoid using connectors. a bit lost on this one...

As for the 4th amp,not powering, I hope the relay is the answer there...haven't really mentioned that thus far in the thread as I Wanted to see if it's actually working however, I need to get a source to it!

post-31175-0-54187300-1451909290_thumb.j

Edited by NCSurfing

5 devices is certainly over my threshold of using a relay, but it wont prevent the BB from not showing up on the screen

Also, the Rockford black box wiring sounds different from what he's told me. From what he said, it doesn't sound like it has the standard yellow/red/black and blue/white (or blue) for turn-on

The BB is pretty standard color wise, but its malibu's colors that are not typical, from their connector on.

so do you get the eq and amps to turn on and off by powercycling the stereo? Or are they on all the time once you've powered up the boat?

When I hit the power switch on the dash, the EQ comes on (lights) and when I hit the power button on the stereo, the amps come on...which also feels odd as they are all wired together (WS420 p/g/r + Malibu connector p/g/r to first syn 4 amp in series) Edited by NCSurfing

When I hit the power switch on the dash, the EQ comes on (lights) and when I hit the power button on the stereo, the amps come on...which also feels odd as they are all wired together (WS420 p/g/r + Malibu connector p/g/r to first syn 4 amp in series)

something is off.. We really need to see your wiring of the current set up. At each termination point throughout. Otherwise we are throwing darts or guessing your issue. If we can see it, we can point it out very easy.

something is off.. We really need to see your wiring of the current set up. At each termination point throughout. Otherwise we are throwing darts or guessing your issue. If we can see it, we can point it out very easy.

Fair enough...will try to explain although I realize a picture is worth 1000 words. Also wanted to ask you guys about a fe suspicions..

-EXIST wires: the harness that comes from the boat that connects into the back of the RFX6000 (BB) has a pigtail of 3 wires - + (yellow), - (black) and REM (yellow/red stripe). As you can see from the pic above, these ran directly into the first RF amp.

-EXIST RCA's: the RCA's from the 2 RF amps ran to the front and rear outputs of the BB.

-NEW wires: the WS420 had a wiring harness that I ran across the boat that had a +, - and remote lead. I wired these as well as the same from the boat harness that plugs into the BB, to my first Syn4 amp.

-NEW RCAs: I ran an RCA from the WS420 input to the Front output of the BB. I then ran 3 sets of RCAs from the WS420 outputs to the inputs on the 3 Sync amps - see pic below.

To be honest, I felt like this was very straightforward and it didn't involve anything behind the dash. That said, I am currently suspicious of 2 things as the BB acts like it isn't powered (as some of you have suggested);

1 - have a look at the RFX6000 (BB) wiring diagram below. After looking at this, I realized the brown wire called 'Trigger 1' isn't hooked up to anything although it has a stripped end. I can't recall if it was hooked up initially however, it wasn't labeled (which I did with all connections when I uninstalled it). Perhaps I missed this on the uninstall and this is the issue?

2 - the other difference with the re-install has to do with my battery setup. Initial install was tied to factory batteries whereas in the reinstall I wired direct to a separate battery bank, bypassing the factory battery setup. That said, I am not clear what the + (yellow) wire on the boat harness plugging into the BB is supposed to do however, am wondering if there is an oversight here? Like I said above, initially that + wire went to the first amp and I reinstalled it the same way however, the amps are being powered by a separate power system thus, maybe the BB doesn't like seeing power from 2 different locations (I am assuming the primary source of power for the BB comes from the connector in the harness itself, which I assume comes from the dash unit which is powered by the system on switch)? Not sure this is anything however, explaining the deltas for context as needed...

Thanks in advance..open to all ideas and suggestions...

post-31175-0-67994200-1452188311_thumb.j

post-31175-0-82713000-1452188315_thumb.p

Edited by NCSurfing

the trigger wires don't work to turn on the amps. Not really sure what those dumb brown wires do, but you need to use the remote antenna lead from the black box to actually turn on an amp.

The yellow wire is constant power. That would be fine to run to the battery, or to an amp that's being fed from the battery. Red wire is just the trigger signal so it shouldn't "really" matter where that turn on signal is coming from, though some people do say you will get noise if the source of that power isn't from the same place as the yellow. But that shouldn't be your issue here, since you aren't running against noise, just a weird turn on condition.

the trigger wires don't work to turn on the amps. Not really sure what those dumb brown wires do, but you need to use the remote antenna lead from the black box to actually turn on an amp.

The yellow wire is constant power. That would be fine to run to the battery, or to an amp that's being fed from the battery. Red wire is just the trigger signal so it shouldn't "really" matter where that turn on signal is coming from, though some people do say you will get noise if the source of that power isn't from the same place as the yellow. But that shouldn't be your issue here, since you aren't running against noise, just a weird turn on condition.

Thanks shawndoggy. Let's go back to your first comment...when you talk about the BB remote antennae lead, which wire is that specifically? The only 3 wires that are available from that setup are the 3 I mention that come from the boat harness that plugs into the BB. Thus, that red/yellow wire is all I have plugging into the amp remote and its triggering the amps on. What I don't know is if the BB is powered?

I don't know the colors on malibu's side of the plug off of the top of my head, but the black box side of the plug uses standard car audio colors. I can't remember if the BB has a blue wire or white/blue wire, but that's the one (on BB side of harness) that is the remote turn on lead.

headunitwh.gif