Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rookie PW2 question

Hollywould

So, I'm told by the dealer that the PW2 simulates some amount of ballast (1,500 lbs maybe). I'm also told it acts as a hydrofoil when fully engaged, creating lift in the back of the boat (in my mind, the opposite of ballast). Are both of these statements true?

Yes. Not exactly sure on the equivalent amount of ballast it provides, but when deployed it pulls the boat deeper in the water (ie simulating ballast or weight). The angle changes the amount of downforce. With PW2 instead of just moving the the horizontal position between sets it actually slightly over rotates - ie swings back under the boat more. This effectively provides lift and therefore helps get the boat on the plane faster. Works a treat!!

What are the mechanics of the pw2 compared to pw1? Is it just the shape of the wedge or did I read engages further towards the bow of the boat?

Anyone know if you can retrofit a pw2 on an earlier model?

size of the wedge is larger, it does rotate further giving way to additional lift on initial acceleration.

cannot retrofit to earlier model. but i bet you could bolt one on, problem would be getting a hold of one

What are the mechanics of the pw2 compared to pw1? Is it just the shape of the wedge or did I read engages further towards the bow of the boat?

Anyone know if you can retrofit a pw2 on an earlier model?

Further forward would create lift due to the angle. Down force would be as the wedge pulls back.

So, I'm told by the dealer that the PW2 simulates some amount of ballast (1,500 lbs maybe). I'm also told it acts as a hydrofoil when fully engaged, creating lift in the back of the boat (in my mind, the opposite of ballast). Are both of these statements true?

1500 lbs imo is marketing hype and not accurate. The reality of it is you will get some rear transom weight from it, but it reaches a point where the wedge will completely load up your engine and or will affect the handling of the boat. If I were estimating most on here run it 2-3 clicks up from lowest position simulating 400-600 lbs of rear weight. In my experience anything over three clicks seems to create too much resistance and also makes the boat handle different. Just my opinion but to get 1500 lbs of weight the wedge would have to be a rediculous angle most will never run it at. It can also create a porpoising affect when wakeboarding if engaged too much with not enough bow weight.

The lift feature reverts the foil to a negative resistance pushing the bow of the boat downward hence creating a quicker plane time. Keep in mind this does nothing for surfing, only wakeboarding. It is legit for wakeboarding, definitely a nice feature when heavily weighted.

Some other fun facts on the pw2 are approx a 18% larger foil, single hydraulic actuator and a quick release mech if it ever fails allowing wedge to be stowed.

Edited by Fman