Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 vlx wakesetter leaking

Hey guys,

I got a 2002 vlx wakesetter and last season after leaving it in overnight I noticed overnight the bilge had a decent amount of water in it. With the bilge kicking in every minute or so staying tied to the bouy sitting still. I took it out straight away to drain it and leave it sitting on the trailer in the water to inspect the leak. I found the log to be leaking a very substantial amount of water. Almost like a slow pouring tap.

The log bearing seal in this boat is the non greasable type. I checked my user manual to find it should be checked and tightened regulary and should leak about a drip every 10 seconds. Which I have done.

I made sure to be careful I haven't overtightened this seal because it needs leakage in order to lubricate.

However after leaving on the bouy overnight and regulary expecting the bilge there is next to no water in it after its used but when I inspect in the morning the whole bilge has 2 inches of water throughout. Water is getting in somewhere.

Is there any common areas that water could be getting in? The rudder? A leaking pickup perhaps? Only other thing I could think off is maybe the log seal leaks after it cools down perhaps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, is that the seal inside the log seal? Or lower down where the actual shaft penetrates the hull? Is that easy task to do? I am pretty confident with most things but I wouldn't know how to remove the shaft or anything.

Check the swim platform to see how rigid it is.

Could have cracked the glass inside the boat where the bolts are from years of people jumping from the rear lounge to the platform.

May contribute to the leak which would not show up when you pull the boat from the water as this area is above the water in the bilge.

As a left field thought, pull the boat & fill the bilge to just below any electricals.

Look to see where the water is coming out.

Would only work if the leak is below the electricals

• Like 2